Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Regex question and maybe some help

I have built a regex to find paragraphs not ended by a normal terminal (eg. . ! etc) which may be a broken paragraph.

Code:
[^".;!:']</p>
Being the regex guru - - that I am, there is a problem. The regex works fine except it does not ignore (").

It allows me to look at each find and determine if it is truly a broken paragraph.

How do I get this thing to ignore the (")?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Depending on the regexp dialect, this might work:

Code:
[^.:!?"']["')]?</p>
(assuming you meant ? instead of ; and you allow closing parenthesis as a paragraph end). The ? outside the brackets matches zero or one occurrence of the previous expression.

Last edited by Jellby; 03-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
Could the problem be that you need to specify both straight quotes and curly ending quotes? If so you'd need to copy and paste the required type of quote into the expression.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Could the problem be that you need to specify both straight quotes and curly ending quotes? If so you'd need to copy and paste the required type of quote into the expression.
i got everything working fine, thank you.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
every approach has exceptions. my normal fix fails on things like
T.V.
show

or
L.A. district

where the full stop is not actually a sentence end, but has been followed by a line feed.

to be thorough takes 2 passes. 1 to check for sentence ends , then another to check for paras which begin with lower case letter.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
@cybmole, that still wouldn't get them all.

What about when it's something like Mr.
Smith, that wouldn't get caught.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
@cybmole, that still wouldn't get them all.

What about when it's something like Mr.
Smith, that wouldn't get caught.
thats a tricky one, but I've not actually encountered it in a badly formatted book, YET!

what I do nowadays, because these things irritate me, is keep a pad n pencil handy when I'm reading a poor quality book on Kindle, & make a note of any formats or typos that I want to go back & fix, later. then I use sigil to find n fix in epub, then reconvert to mobi.

the T.V. and L.A. examples were real cases.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thats a tricky one, but I've not actually encountered it in a badly formatted book, YET!
I have

Whatever you do, only a careful (proof)reading (or several) of the book will catch some of them.

Quote:
what I do nowadays, because these things irritate me, is keep a pad n pencil handy when I'm reading a poor quality book on Kindle, & make a note of any formats or typos that I want to go back & fix, later. then I use sigil to find n fix in epub, then reconvert to mobi.
Exactly what I do, except that I edit the ePUB by hand and don't convert to mobi.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
This is why I like to do most of my reformatting in Word where a VBA macro takes care of all these possibilities. It lets me string together a series of Find-Replace operations and set Styles. In the case of 'Mr.', yes, I've had that occur so added a Find-Replace to correct it:
With Selection.Find
.Text = "Mr.^p"
.Replacement.Text = "Mr."
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Yes but then there's lots of possibilities

Mr. Mrs. Dr. Prof. Ms. Miss. Messrs. ..... and probably lots more

There's also other names, with initials, P.
Smith wouldn't get found either.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote