Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
So I live in Canada, I have to create a U.S address and all that? Don't I have to come up with the correct name and all that?

could someone explain how I would do this?
You need a valid US address.
They seem to check zip codes for example.
Same for UK.
All those various addresses can link to the very same credit card.
The credit card obviously has to be valid. But the credit card's billing address doesn't have to be identical with any of the other addresses (in my case, it's identical with the German address).
If you get any physical products, you find the addresses from your Kindle account as potential shipping addresses. So of course Amazon knows about your different addresses.
But there could be quite simple explanations: A friend of mine is Global account manager. His home address is France, his business address is Germany, his main location (for now) is US. I guess, there's no way for Amazon to differentiate between such cases and "ghost addresses".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #32
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think the comment about a Valid USA address is spot on. I have always used an address that actually exists, which is a mail drop address for me.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You need a valid US address.
They seem to check zip codes for example.
Same for UK.
All those various addresses can link to the very same credit card.
The credit card obviously has to be valid. But the credit card's billing address doesn't have to be identical with any of the other addresses (in my case, it's identical with the German address).
If you get any physical products, you find the addresses from your Kindle account as potential shipping addresses. So of course Amazon knows about your different addresses.
But there could be quite simple explanations: A friend of mine is Global account manager. His home address is France, his business address is Germany, his main location (for now) is US. I guess, there's no way for Amazon to differentiate between such cases and "ghost addresses".
I have had products shipped to my US address (borderlinx), so it's not really a ghost address
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #34
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Only in "manage your Kindle" you change countries.
Thanks Mgmueller for your clarification. So is the process

1) Open an account on US Amazon, with a valid US address? And then change my address in Manage your Kindle to the US address.

Or

2) Add a valid US address to my UK account, and then change my address in Manage your Kindle to the US address

And if its 1) is it okay that my email address will be the same as my UK account email?

If it is 1), and my email address is the same how does Amazon know what account I am using in the US Amazon to purchase the books?

Sorry for all the questions, I am still so wary of doing this. I just wish we didn't have to do this. I just don't get all the potitical issues with letting us just buy books where we like, it must cost Amazon money.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #35
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
So is the process

2) Add a valid US address to my UK account, and then change my address in Manage your Kindle to the US address
I have done option 2 for the last 9 months. And switch between the two addresses. Currently I am living in Australia because I am getting a replacement kindle. Even spoke to three CS people today about sending it to my address in Australia. But up until yesterday I was in the US.

Amazon would love to sell you the books, but your country (and mine) wont let them.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have done option 2 for the last 9 months. And switch between the two addresses. Currently I am living in Australia because I am getting a replacement kindle. Even spoke to three CS people today about sending it to my address in Australia. But up until yesterday I was in the US.

Amazon would love to sell you the books, but your country (and mine) wont let them.
Thanks so much. I might be brave and have a go then, I need to persuade a freind first to let me use her address. Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #37
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Nice, was grabbing a bunch of free books off my US account and got this:

please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.
You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.
Are you traveling outside your country?
Please contact customer service in order to continue purchasing Kindle items.

LOL
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #38
4stupid
4stupid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Fill in a US address ...
4stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #39
spacemonkey
Enthusiast

It's got a US address, set as the default 1-click address, I assume they are detecting my IP being from far away and wanting me to call customer services to confirm I am a US person...

Oh, and it worked for the first half dozen books before it started saying that.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #40
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Oh dear, maybe they are cracking down again now, looks like its back to paperbacks
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #41
Pushka
Wizard

It is just so random. I bought two books just now in the USA and no email. Do you have a kindle or were you downloading to a free app. And is the address a real one?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #42
spacemonkey
Enthusiast

The address is a fast food joint somewhere in the states. It was to download to kindle reader PC. Bought one book with UK CC and grabbed a few free ones.

So definitely looked dodgy all round.

I'm sure Amazon don't really care, but their deals with the publishers probably put some pressure on them to do some checking for legitimacy. Unfortunate as there are a number of authors I like who I would happily buy off the US store.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #43
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
@spacemonky - I think the problem is most likely that you are using Kindle for PC from an IP address that clearly doesn't match your address location. Is it possible for you to download to your computer (like you are going to transfer to a device) from behind a US Proxy server?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #44
Pushka
Wizard

Maybe not so random then. My address is real, and I have purchased several kindles. I dont use a USA credit card, I dont use a proxy server, and I have purchased or obtained for free I think around 200 books. I have never received this email. You are the second person who has reported getting that email; the first was downloading to an iphone app; and you were downloading via Kindle for PC from a dodgy address. It wont take much to fix that, except you may have to buy a kindle for success.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #45
spacemonkey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
@spacemonky - I think the problem is most likely that you are using Kindle for PC from an IP address that clearly doesn't match your address location. Is it possible for you to download to your computer (like you are going to transfer to a device) from behind a US Proxy server?
My plan is to try exactly that at some stage.