Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
adobe digital edition

I purchased some ebooks on booksonboard and kobo and successfully got some of the books transferred to the sony reader. My problem is that some of the books will download into the digital editions, but then will not show up in the library so I can transfer them to the sony reader. I looked through the folders to make sure the book was not someplace else. I made sure that the format was epub. Does anyone have any suggestions?
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
You can import the epub books to your Sony Library.

Go to "file" at the top left of the Reader Library. On the drop down menu, choose import file.

My ADE books are under Owner/My documents/MyDigitalEditions. Open and choose which book to import to your Reader Library.

Then you can drag and drop to the left side "Reader" for placement in your Reader.

Was this what you were asking about?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
If you have Vista, go to Start, use the Start Search to find the book, right click on it and choose Open File Location so you can find were it's stored. Open Adobe Digital and click on Library; choose Add Item to Library and maneuver to the path and the book will be added to your library.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
tbov

Thanks for the suggestions, but that is what I'm doing and some of the ebooks are not showing up. The book will initially open up in adobe digital, but when I go to the reader library to transfer it over, it does not show up there. If I go to another location in the adobe digital, then the book completely disappears. Just wondering if this happens to others OR if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbov View Post
The book will initially open up in adobe digital, but when I go to the reader library to transfer it over, it does not show up there.
Are you saying the book doesn't show up in the ADE library? Or in the Sony library?

If the book shows up in the ADE library and your reader is registered with Adobe, you can import the book to your reader without using the Sony software. When the reader is attached to the computer it should show up under Bookshelves in ADE and you can drag the title onto the reader the same way as you do with the Sony library.

If it's not showing up in either library, that sounds like a download issue.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
trae
trae began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
my 600 does not show up on digital editions - no matter what i try. so i do the import files thing outlined by 'dreams' above, and even books that i can't read (please see my post on that! - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68031) show up in the library afterwards. so i'm thinking you may be doing something wrong....?
trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trae View Post
my 600 does not show up on digital editions - no matter what i try. ..........
Are you running ADE on a PC or Mac? ADE on my Mac doesn't see my 600 so I had to authorize my reader in ADE using a Windows box so it would work with Adobe drm'd material.
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
tbov

The rest of you are not going to believe this-it is too bizarre. I still have not been able to figure out my problem, although I have been able to get library books and purchase some books just fine using adobe digital and the reader library. I downloaded calibre since I've read so much good about it on these forums. I also have Kindle for PC and Mobipocket reader on my computer. I downloaded a mobibook and it went to the Kindle for PC????--then I sent it to calibre and converted it to epub and sent it to my sony. I was able to get all the books that would not go through the adobe to the sony in this way. Now how bizarre is that? I still don't know what is going on with the adobe-but at least there is a way to work around it.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
In general has there been an issue with ADE not recognizing the 600?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
tbov

This is on the BooksOnBoard web site--it must be something with the way I have my adobe set up--it seems like books with drm protection work fine, it is the free books that I'm having issues with. I have not tried the suggestions below yet, so not sure if it works.

All of our Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) .EPUB and .PDF formats are supported by Sony devices; PRS-300, PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-700.

We RECOMMEND the .EPUB format for reader devices where this option is available.

ADE .epub and .pdf may be either DRM (padlock icon) or Non-DRM (no padlock icon). Depending on the server these originate from, they may download with either .epub, .pdf or .acsm file extensions to your computers Adobe Digital Editions 1.7 software depending on your computers File Association settings.

When you installed your Sony Library software (or updated it), you were given the choice of whether you wished to associate the .epub and .acsm file extensions with the Sony Library software. If you selected to do so, your Secure ADE files, .epub or .pdf, and your non-DRM .epub will bypass ADE 1.7 and open in the Sony Library. You may transfer them from there to your Sony device.

If you chose not to associate these file extensions with your Sony Library software, Secure ADE .epub and .pdf (both download as .acsm extension) and non-DRM .epub will load to and open in your ADE 1.7.

PLEASE NOTE that non-DRM .pdf files will default to your computers Adobe Reader software. When they download to and open the Adobe Reader, simply save a copy to your computers desktop. From there you may use the ADE 1.7 Add Item to Library function to browse for and load the file to ADE 1.7, or drag and drop it into either ADE 1.7 or the Sony Library software. You may then transfer it to your Sony device.

Should you need any further assistance, please contact our support@booksonboard.com for assistance with your software install, registration of your device, and test downloads of our ADE format.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
You can import the epub books to your Sony Library.

Go to "file" at the top left of the Reader Library. On the drop down menu, choose import file.

My ADE books are under Owner/My documents/MyDigitalEditions. Open and choose which book to import to your Reader Library.

Then you can drag and drop to the left side "Reader" for placement in your Reader.

Was this what you were asking about?
Thanks for this info! My wife couldn't tranfer a book from ADE but had no problem importing it to her Sony library using your instruction!

tbov, what is acsm? I have some files with that extension which will not import to my Sony library.

Last edited by benham; 01-15-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester
that's .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message)

I usually explain it as a "claim check" given to you by the store or library, which allows you to download the real file
benham, the above quote was posted by Jim Lester of Adobe. It is probably the most accurate description I've seen for .acsm files.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
benham
Guru

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On my Mother's laptop, I setup ADE and it recognized her 600 without a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi can someone pls help advise on how to reconfigure my Sony reader library, so that downloads from the public library dont by default open in the Sony library? I'd rather have it open in the ADE software because I now have a Nook and the Sony library doesnt detect any other device other than Sony readers.
At the moment I find that on certain library books, it just formats much better on Nook. I read the posting above from booksonboard, about selecting the software to open library file extension. Now how do I reverse this since i originally selected to open via Sony? I tried to uninstall and reinstall the sony software but the system doesnt prompt me anymore on the selection! Thanks in advance..
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote