Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
You are correct DiapDealer. It was the broader, impersonal "you." I was quite excited about borrowing my first library e-book the other night and was looking for threads about library borrowing and found some people openly advocating stripping DRM from library titles. I am guessing that means, as well, that not only can you put them on any device, but that they never expire. A publisher reading that is not going to look at libraries as a place to win new buyers but as a place where books will get copied for uncompensated reproduction.

There really is no reason for that kind of behaviour. If borrowing from the library is something you want to do, then you should get a reader that plays well with your local library. That's what I did.
Oh, gotcha, and I agree. Do you guys think that this happens a lot?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #62
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I DON'T buy their books - at least not knowingly. I haven't knowingly purchased a book from Penguin since I found out they were so library antagonistic.
Same here: I make sure the title I am about to purchase is not from Penguin, or I'll pass it up. Penguin will change their ways at some point, and then I will be able to make those purchases: right now I just hate them too much to give them my money.
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #63
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how do you download eBooks from Overdrive to your Kindle without a computer?
You can: use the kindle browser, an Overdrive app on any iOs or Android device, or the library computers.
I was thinking less affluent households, and was advocating Kindle for them. Someone with little money and no home computer and internet connection can always use the library computers and the libraries' free Wifi connections to get content onto their Kindles. That is not the case with, for instance, Nooks or Kobos which are close in price point. Sony's T1/2 are almost twice the initial purchase cost. Again: I was thinking less affluent households.

Also, I can return a Kindle book early, as soon as I am done with it, and often managed to return a book the next day if I read it quickly. Not sure this is possible with ePub books, that would, in the same scenario, be blocked off for up to three weeks until the next peson in the queue gets to read it?

Last edited by xendula; 01-09-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #64
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Also, I can return a Kindle book early, as soon as I am done with it, and often managed to return a book the next day if I read it quickly. Not sure this is possible with ePub books, that would, in the same scenario, be blocked off for up to three weeks until the next peson in the queue gets to read it?
EPUBs can be returned early from either ADE or the Overdrive app.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #65
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
EPUBs can be returned early from either ADE or the Overdrive app.
Thanks or the clarification, so then there is no advantage of one format over another in this specific case.
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #66
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Things were better for us epub borrowers before Amazon made it available on the Kindle.
yeah I'm a selfish pr**K.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #67
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Things were better for us epub borrowers before Amazon made it available on the Kindle.
Well, selfish pr""Ks have the evolutionary advantage.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #68
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Having other people pay for your stuff is always nice.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #69
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
The books borrowed from the library are paid for. I don't borrow ebooks from anywhere but the library.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #70
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Same here: I make sure the title I am about to purchase is not from Penguin, or I'll pass it up.
What about Macmillan and Simon & Schuster?

We can borrow a small number of Penguin books through the New York and Brooklyn libraries. The 3M software is unusually inconvenient, and few books are offered, but if press reports as to be believed, libraries can obtain any Penguin backlist title. By contrast, I believe that, at least in the US, Macmillan and Simon & Schuster completely refuse eBooks to libraries.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #71
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
What about Macmillan and Simon & Schuster?

We can borrow a small number of Penguin books through the New York and Brooklyn libraries. The 3M software is unusually inconvenient, and few books are offered, but if press reports as to be believed, libraries can obtain any Penguin backlist title. By contrast, I believe that, at least in the US, Macmillan and Simon & Schuster completely refuse eBooks to libraries.
Ummmm, I guess Penguin stuck with me a while back when I read a few articles about them, and also noticed that not one of the Penguin books on my Amazon wishlist is available through eborrowing (as well as that their titles never go down in price). I have not noticed that from any other publisher, but it could just be that they don't publish the type of books I like. I'll have to do some research, it seems.
So far, my taste seems to gravitate towards Penguin and HarperCollins titles, as well as smaller publishers.
I have no beef with HarperCollins, especially now that Amazon can lower their prices, but the Penguin titles remain untouched on my wishlist.

Last edited by xendula; 01-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.