Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Sounds ideal. Think I should get that older version, though, or just the latest one will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sony on the PC is a good previewer as you can set the page size which will show what the document will really look like on the device. It is also ADE based so it covers the ADE ground as well.

Dale
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Sounds ideal. Think I should get that older version, though, or just the latest one will do?
Get Reader Library. It's easier to deal with.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There are two listed on the Sony web site. I prefer the second listed and older one to the first. As JSWolf says, it is easier to use. Its layout allows you to go back and forth between the file and the file list, so that Sigil can save changes you see in Reader Library.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

?

JS, Just get the latest Sony Reader Library? (I've read all this stuff about different versions working better than others.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get Reader Library. It's easier to deal with.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
JS, Just get the latest Sony Reader Library? (I've read all this stuff about different versions working better than others.)
Reader Library for Windows...

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

?

HI mrmikel. When I go here: https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
there is only the latest version to download. (I was interested in the version where you said the Sony didn't hang on to the file and let you edit the epub in Sigil without having to remove the file from the Sony. I mean, perhaps the new version has that feature to (I don't know).) So what url are you going to that offers multiple versions? And if you can shed any light on this whole thing I'd appreciate it. (I'm using ADE2.0 but it's a pain removing the file to go back to Sigil to edit.) Thanks! Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
There are two listed on the Sony web site. I prefer the second listed and older one to the first. As JSWolf says, it is easier to use. Its layout allows you to go back and forth between the file and the file list, so that Sigil can save changes you see in Reader Library.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks JS

Not sure which version this is, though. Could you see my last post to mrmikel in this thread? What version is this link you gave for? Is it the latest version? If so does it have that feature of not holding the file so I can edit in Sigil? (I know all these questions but I really want to get the version that's going to be most effective.)
Thanks. Bear

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not sure which version this is, though. Could you see my last post to mrmikel in this thread? What version is this link you gave for? Is it the latest version? If so does it have that feature of not holding the file so I can edit in Sigil? (I know all these questions but I really want to get the version that's going to be most effective.)
Thanks. Bear
All you do is switch to the list view, edit the file, double click in the list view and your back viewing where you left off.

It is the last version of Reader Library. The same version I use.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We're talking about two different things. Passing the code for validity and making the book look the way you want it on a range of devices. The first is straightforward. The second is an art :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
We're talking about two different things. Passing the code for validity and making the book look the way you want it on a range of devices. The first is straightforward. The second is an art :-)
I'm not convinced the second is even possible. There are a number of popular Android reader apps that phone and tablet users might use for that do not support style sheets all that well, overriding them entirely in many cases, so even simply formatted books can look considerably different from one app to the next. They may remain readable, but looking like what you want, not so much.

Many of these apps are designed for the reader to format your book to look the way the reader wants it to.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'm not convinced the second is even possible. There are a number of popular Android reader apps that phone and tablet users might use for that do not support style sheets all that well, overriding them entirely in many cases, so even simply formatted books can look considerably different from one app to the next. They may remain readable, but looking like what you want, not so much.

Many of these apps are designed for the reader to format your book to look the way the reader wants it to.
If these apps are going to basically ignore the style sheet, then we should ignore those apps.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
If these apps are going to basically ignore the style sheet, then we should ignore those apps.
That's my feeling as well. However, I'm only trying to sell my own books, and I am perfectly happy to leave 1 percent of sales on the table, or even 2 or 5 percent. I'm not formatting for others, for pay, which no doubt would change my attitude.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I suppose it all depends. A number of these reading apps are quite popular though, especially with folks who read on mobile devices! I prefer to at least check the way my books work in them and see they are at least readable if not perfectly formatted.

Even apps that do generally support ADE, will often have differences in how things are handled.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I suppose it all depends. A number of these reading apps are quite popular though, especially with folks who read on mobile devices! I prefer to at least check the way my books work in them and see they are at least readable if not perfectly formatted.

Even apps that do generally support ADE, will often have differences in how things are handled.
Well...

The "it all depends" sounds great, but at the end of the day, realistically, in a commercial operation, you can only check the book in so many devices and readers. As it is now, we're checking ours in 7 different devices; 3 Amazon, 2 Nook, one iPad and one Kobo. At that point...you just start running out of gas. And if you ask 10 people what their fave reading app is, you'll get 10 different answers. {shrug}. And a good number of the reading apps do ignore the CSS, or allow the users to override it. So...it's fairly futile, in terms of trying to cover your bases.

Just my $.02,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would say to make the eBook look good in apps/Readers that do support the CSS and if that works well, it's not your job to deal with substandard reading software.

Tags
distributors, epub, finished, send