Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #226
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've been thinking about this (since my current process produces carefully made epubs). From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, most sales for my genre will come from Amazon anyway. So when I'm ready I will publish direct to Amazon and anywhere else that lets me control the format, and Smashwords can ... well, they can just be ignored until they learn that one size doesn't always fit all.

Amazon, Kobo, and B&N are pretty easy to get into. I have never tried it, but you can push directly in to Apple also - but many find it very hard. In fact some on this forum have mentioned Apple as the primary reason they use Smash.

Smash gets you in the rest, including more and more libraries now. IF I was starting today I would push to B&N, Kobo, and Amazon directly but still use Smash for the rest. I do not advise ignore any stores you can get in simply because exposure sells.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #227
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
If it works for you, you're not stuck.

I, on the other hand, am apparently allergic to properly using word processors. Word, OOo, doesn't matter. If I need to draft a "normal" text document, I usually use Notepad++ then sling it into Publisher for formatting. I do use Word, when the document requires it, but for anything longer than a page I start freaking out a bit. I know, I'm weird, but it's probably because my entry into the business world started with Pagemaker (later InDesign) and project management software. For my current job, things like training documents start in One Note and migrate to Publisher.

I'm so dreading the day I have to submit to Smashwords. Of course, at the rate I'm going, by that time maybe they'll take direct ebook format uploads. I can dream, anyway.
Before I got Scrivener and before dual screens were standard, I used to use two machines with the same word processing software. They were both synched by cable, one with the current project, the other with all notes and research etc.

Now, with Scrivener I just use the one program and two screens. I synch with Dropbox between desktop and portable systems (I don't trust iCloud - too many dramas) and it all works beautifully.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #228
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Before I got Scrivener and before dual screens were standard, I used to use two machines with the same word processing software. They were both synched by cable, one with the current project, the other with all notes and research etc.

Now, with Scrivener I just use the one program and two screens. I synch with Dropbox between desktop and portable systems (I don't trust iCloud - too many dramas) and it all works beautifully.
Interesting... *she looks at her desk, considering the possibilities* I don't know if I have room for a second screen, but my tv can be used as a second display. All I'd need is a cable. Maybe I can work something out over there.

Something similar I have done is working on my laptop with the project open in Scrivener and researching on the Dell Duo in tablet mode right next to me. I find it helpful to keep the project in front of me - I'm less likely to go off on a tangent. Something else I like to do with the Duo is collect photos that inspire me or bring to mind scenes for the story, and when I feel bogged down I can reach over and swipe the screen to flip through them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #229
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I could not live with out two screen anymore. I have my notes doc up on one screen, my story up on main screen, and often will have use for a third screen for researching things
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #230
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting... *she looks at her desk, considering the possibilities* I don't know if I have room for a second screen, but my tv can be used as a second display. All I'd need is a cable. Maybe I can work something out over there.

Something similar I have done is working on my laptop with the project open in Scrivener and researching on the Dell Duo in tablet mode right next to me. I find it helpful to keep the project in front of me - I'm less likely to go off on a tangent. Something else I like to do with the Duo is collect photos that inspire me or bring to mind scenes for the story, and when I feel bogged down I can reach over and swipe the screen to flip through them.
In my work office I put the desktop sideways on the rear or the desk, one screen on top of it, one in front of it, and one to one side of it. In my home office I have a similar setup but I also use one of those old CRT monitor supports with a 17" notebook on it so that I can swing it in front of me when I need it and slide it away when I don't.

If you want to drive three monitors without a suitable video card, you can buy a USB2 video driver that will support the third monitor. It is a monitor cable that will plug into a USB port. In the days of CRT's set-ups like this would take up a huge desktop footprint, but with thin and light LCD monitors it is quite easy. I can see the day coming when one wall in an office is a bank of monitors.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #231
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have the Transformer TF101 (IMO, the best of the Android tablets at its release, but superseded by newer generations of course). The Dock is great, and the extra battery in it means I can go for insane amounts of time with out charging, but the keyboard is smaller then even my laptop keyboard so I find it a bit tough to do serious typing on.

<snip>
Hi all,

I too, have one of these, though I long for the Infinity. The Transformer works so well, I wonder how anyone copes with lesser tablets. And battery life is wonderful.

Truly useful parts of the dock are the USB ports and card reader - I can copy stuff for others very easily, get images from my camera and so forth. Yes, typing is not so good on such a small keyboard. The portability of it though and the battery life makes it a very useful device.

Recently, I upgraded my laptop to a Probook (17") and don't miss my desktop at all, though I do have a hankering for a second screen - LSB allows so many files to be open at once, it becomes addictive, and I'd love to have my timeline on one screen, while I type on another. My laptop gives me about 5 hours with wireless and BT on (I listen to music - mostly from the '60s when I work), which is sufficient.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #232
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.

Quote:

You can buy USB transponders - devices that will transmit the screen image to a device several metres (yards) away. You need the USB dongle and a receiver to plug into the TV or Monitor. I saw one in a computer store here (Australia) for $99 last week. By the same token, I could have bought a 23" Hi Res LCD monitor for the same price.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #233
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Most newer graphic cards have multiple outs.
Ranges from vga/dvi to hdmi. Simply use different outs vfor different screens
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #234
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:

I do something with two desktops; one for writing (and during NaNoWriMo, keeping a browser window up so I can validate my word count) and one for notes and research. I switch back and forth using a switcher widget in the panel.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #235
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
You can buy USB transponders - devices that will transmit the screen image to a device several metres (yards) away. You need the USB dongle and a receiver to plug into the TV or Monitor. I saw one in a computer store here (Australia) for $99 last week. <snip>.
Hi DarkScribe, et al,

this is pretty good news to me - I'll look them up.

I am aware that most machines can connect two monitors (or, as in the case of notebooks, an additional one) directly. I would just prefer a wireless option.

What I have been using is Dexpot, which allows me several desktop screens a la Linux, that I can toggle between easily. I have one for LSB, and another where I keep open browser windows, and leave my media player open on another. Dexpot is free for private use.

Cheers,
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #236
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
[...] Dexpot is free for private use.

Cheers,
But is a writer's use of software actually "private use"? Perhaps while you haven't sold any work it is, but once you start selling doesn't that constitute "commercial use" of the software?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #237
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But is a writer's use of software actually "private use"? Perhaps while you haven't sold any work it is, but once you start selling doesn't that constitute "commercial use" of the software?
Interesting question.

Here's a link: http://dexpot.de/?id=contact

- they should be able to answer that question. Let us know how you fare.

Cheers,
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #238
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freelancers are considered commercial use.
An author's considered a freelancer.

http://dexpot.de/?id=purchase
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #239
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Interesting question.
Here's a link: http://dexpot.de/?id=contact
- they should be able to answer that question. Let us know how you fare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Freelancers are considered commercial use.
An author's considered a freelancer.
http://dexpot.de/?id=purchase
And even if not a freelancer then self-employed (even if part time) would also fall under commercial use. Actually my earlier post was largely rhetorical since, as a software developer myself, I would consider anyone using my software as part of earning an income to be making commercial use of the software.

One question that's not rhetorical: How about an "academic editions" - such as those offered by Microsoft Office, does such a licence allow you to make commercial use of the software? A brief look at that licence shows only that you must be a "Qualified Educational User", I can't find that it limits what use such a user may put the software to ... though I would be surprised if they didn't have something to say on the subject somewhere.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #240
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Since they list academic institutions as schools etc. under commercial usage I think, no edu licensing is available. I've only pointed out freelance because writing is under german law considered a freelance profession.
I assume free usage for home strictly only.