Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
ambertape
Enthusiast
ambertape began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Does Sony keep a file on my PC showing my downloads ?

I tried to download many ebook classical novels and among them were a few corrupted books. Sony came back to me stating I could do it again, won't charge my account but when I try to re-download these books, it states that I have them already. Does Sony make a file listing the downloads ? If there is such a file, then I could delete it and re-download these files because Sony said that they won't charge me for these books. I am going around a merry-go-round with them so far.

How can I copy the already files on my PR-500 to make room to my computer because Sony stores all books on my ereader and I have only 91 MB to store them.

Thanks

Ambertape
ambertape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertape View Post
How can I copy the already files on my PR-500 to make room to my computer because Sony stores all books on my ereader and I have only 91 MB to store them.
That's not right. The books are stored on your computer. You might have copies on your PRS500/PRS505, but the master versions are likely to be stored in 'My documents/ My books/ ebook library' (or Connect Library, if you haven't updated recently). They are most conveniently viewed, and quite nicely indexed in the Ebook library/Connect library software.

1. Open your 'Ebook library/Connect library'.
2. To put books onto your Reader, first connect your reader (via mini-usb cable) to the computer. The Reader will then show up on the left-hand bar in the Ebook/Connect library. Drag and drop the books from the library to the Reader icon. Note that a copy of the book (usually) remains in the library.
3. You probably can't download another copy from Sony until you have deleted the corrupted version. In the Ebook library/ Connect library software, click on the corrupt book and delete it. Then you can download a fresh version.

I guess that you are new to all this. Don't worry: we were all new to it once. Sooner or later, it becomes second nature. (In the meantime, reading the manual helps.)

Incidentally, you mention that you are downloading classics. If so, then do take a look at our ebooks section. They are free. You may download them as often as necessary. And many of them are much better than the automatic machine-made conversions, because the people who uploaded them have often spent hours getting a favourite book just right.

I hope this helps.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
ambertape
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That's not right. The books are stored on your computer. You might have copies on your PRS500/PRS505, but the master versions are likely to be stored in 'My documents/ My books/ ebook library' (or Connect Library, if you haven't updated recently). They are most conveniently viewed, and quite nicely indexed in the Ebook library/Connect library software.

1. Open your 'Ebook library/Connect library'.
2. To put books onto your Reader, first connect your reader (via mini-usb cable) to the computer. The Reader will then show up on the left-hand bar in the Ebook/Connect library. Drag and drop the books from the library to the Reader icon. Note that a copy of the book (usually) remains in the library.
3. You probably can't download another copy from Sony until you have deleted the corrupted version. In the Ebook library/ Connect library software, click on the corrupt book and delete it. Then you can download a fresh version.

I guess that you are new to all this. Don't worry: we were all new to it once. Sooner or later, it becomes second nature. (In the meantime, reading the manual helps.)

Incidentally, you mention that you are downloading classics. If so, then do take a look at our ebooks section. They are free. You may download them as often as necessary. And many of them are much better than the automatic machine-made conversions, because the people who uploaded them have often spent hours getting a favourite book just right.

I hope this helps.
Patricia,

Thanks for your response. I did find all the downloads in My Books and there were 40 entries. I copied these files to another directory and then deleted these files in My Books directory. I received a email response from Sony Support and I was able to download all the previous ebooks I was interested in albeit one at a time to my pc. I then looked at My Books folder, saw all the downloads and then copied the other files in a different directory over to original My Books directory and made certain they werent duplicates. I seem to have different problems now :

1. I had three bars indicating the battery was slowly dying. My Ereader was connected for 1.5 hrs to my USB adapter hub and the ereader didn't charge my ereader connection. I saw two bars so I recharged the erreader and went to sleep. I disconnected it later that evening.

2. I see that all the downloads in My Book must be also on my computer at work because when I connected the ereader to my office computer, all the downloads I did last night weren't on the ereader at all. This I can correct easily.

3. I can only see my sd card in the ebook library software on my office computer but now on my home computer at all. I am thinking of reinstalling my software on my home computer. Perhaps there is something corrupted. I can't even see the status of my ebook how much space is left.

4. Is there any way to copy every ebook on my PRS-500 on to my computer or are they there already and I have to click each file in My Books to identify each file ?

5. On my office computer I have two directories for the ereader. One EConnect Reader directory and the other ebook library. In my house I only have ebook library. Is it proper to have two directories ?

6. I can't drag any files from my ereader over to my sd card at work to leave more space on my ereader. Why ?

7. The status button doesn't work on the ereader ebook library only the econnect reader
software.

I will look at your ebooks section later in the week. Thanks for your help. I find it all very
interesting.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry to hear that you still have problems.

1. About the recharging: I have noticed that short recharges seem to confuse the battery indicator bars and give incorrect readings. Try an overnight mains recharge.
(Maybe also see this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337)

2. If you somehow manage to have books on your Reader which aren't on the connect/ebook library software (--perhaps they got inadvertently deleted) then plug the Reader into the computer, open the connect/ebook library software, view the list of books on your Reader, then drag and drop the book from the reader to the library.

3. You can easily get all the books from your 'My books' folder into the connect/ebook software. In the connect/ebook software, click on 'File' then on 'import folders' and import your entire 'My books' folder.
(If the books are already in the connect/ebook library software then you won't get duplicates, but any unimported books will now appear.)

Leave the original files in 'My Books'. That is where they live. The connect/ebook library software is a big filing system which links to the files stored elsewhere in your computer. If you have been deleting them then no wonder you have had problems.

4. You shouldn't have both the connect software and the ebook library software on the same computer. Ebook library is an update for connect. This may be causing confusion.

Incidentally, it is probably best to call your device a Reader, a Sony Reader or a PRS500. 'Ereader' is proprietary software, not supported by the PRS500, so confusion is possible.

I'm afraid that I don't use sd cards, so can't really help you on that one. If no-one else replies in the next day or so, then ask again, in a new thread.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
ambertape
Enthusiast

Patricia,

When I downloaded many books last night on my reader, I saw all the ebooks in the Sony reader library which numbered 100. When I connected my reader to my office computer, these files were non existent because the folder My Books didn't have the files that were on my home computer so I am assuming that any ebooks I see on the PRS-500 should also be in My Books directory on my office computer. I can't import these files into reader with out them being on my hard drive.

None of the files I copied originally to another directory were missing. After I downloaded all the ebooks from Sony I copied all the missing files from the other directory back to the original directory on drive c:

Should I delete econnect directory on my office computer ?

I will recharge it all night tonight.

Thanks
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader

Ambertape, I think that if you downloaded to 'My books' at home then you shouldn't expect to see the download at 'My books' at work. These are two entirely separate locations.
If both your home computer and your office computer are registered with Sony, then there should be no problem in re-downloading the books from Sony onto your work computer.

(I must admit that, in the interests of simplicity, I only have my home computer registered with Sony. I have a look at what's available at work, on the web, then download at home later. Your case illustrates the problems in having multiple iterations of the same thing. This can be managed if one knows what one is doing, but I am naturally cautious/stupid--take your pick.)

As for having both the connect software and the ebook library software on the same computer: I would be tempted to delete the older connect version in the interests of simplicity. The books should remain in 'My Books' and can be re-imported into the updated ebook library as described in my last post. (Or they can be re-downloaded from Sony. A prudent person might well save them elsewhere on the computer, just in case.) But if you are feeling particularly cautious then just leave the older Connect software undisturbed and use the new ebook library from now on.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
jeanravel
jeanravel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500,eBookWise
Ambertape,
You said you downloaded books to your Sony reader and saw them in the library. Does that mean you downloaded from the internet and saw them or downloaded them to the reader? When you import books into the library or purchase them, they are in the software's library, but they are not on the Sony. They still have to be transferred there by dragging and dropping onto the Sony reader icon within the software.
I've never tried to move books in the other direction, from reader to software, so I can't help you there. If the books are on the reader though, you should be able to see them in the Connect software when you click on the icon for the Sony reader. They won't be in the Library section of the software because they're only on the reader, not the hard drive.

Jean
jeanravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader

You certainly can move books in the other direction, from the Reader to the library. (I've done this once or twice). Just plug the Reader into the computer, ope the Sony software, and drag the book from the Reader to the library.