Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Merge book records doesn't copy author and title ?

I used Alt + M to merge two books, since they are the same book but different format. I just wanted to copy the exact same meta to the other book.

As I mentioned, the result is author, title and isbn didn't copy to the new book.

So, is it possible to also merge author title and isbn?

I have to do it manually?

JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLiu View Post
I used Alt + M to merge two books, since they are the same book but different format. I just wanted to copy the exact same meta to the other book.

As I mentioned, the result is author, title and isbn didn't copy to the new book.
Author and title only get merged when the destination author or title are "Unknown" ISBN never merges (and the warning message now says that.) There was a thread on the ISBN merge issue. Everyone who posted in that thread preferred that ISBN not be merged.

As to author/title, because Calibre uses the author and title as part of the filename, they both have to exist, so an "empty" author or title is always changed to "Unknown." The philosophy of Merge is to never overwrite (and thereby lose) metadata, but "Unknown" is considered to be empty for author/title. If you started with Add an empty book, both author and title would be Unknown. Deleting the author and title in your destination before merging will cause author/title to merge over from your source.

Note that when you used Alt-M (safe merge) you would have produced a destination record with two formats, and left a source record with only one.

Last edited by Starson17; 09-25-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
But what is the problem with ISBN merge.

Is there a downside of merging ISBN? And Why?

Just curiosity.
JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLiu View Post
But what is the problem with ISBN merge.

Is there a downside of merging ISBN? And Why?

Just curiosity.
Read the thread on this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97999
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The book you select first will retain all the metadata and file formats.
Select book, hold control key and select second etc.
If I am merging into a book for metadata purposes amd I want to overwrite existing book format with an edited better version, I remove the format from the first and then merge.
An extra step but only takes a sec.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote