Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
rb9999
rb9999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre not downloading scheduled news

I downloaded the previous version of Calibre and this feature worked fine. Then I upgraded. I tell the program to download my news at 6:00am and it doesn't. The other night it started downloading at 8:00pm for no apparent reason.

My clock on my pc is correct. I also thought of adding 14 hours to the time to see if that works and it doesn't.

Anyone have these issues?
rb9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb9999 View Post
The other night it started downloading at 8:00pm for no apparent reason.
By any chance, would that be 24 hours after the last download? If I remember correctly there are two buttons in the settings, one to download at a specific time and one to just download daily.

/Jonas
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Since moving to 6:18, I too am having problems. Previously I used to "upload daily" but could still set the time, or at lease it appeared to work. Now it doesn't remember the time and just uploads 24hrs after the last time, which gets later and later as I switch on assuming it has downloaded, find it hasn't and have to download. This then means the next "auto download" will be 24hrs from then.

Can we not just set a time for daily scheduled downloads like the old versions appeared to work?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me. The way the algorithm works is that when you set a particular time of day.calibre will try to download the news on that day at the closest time possible after that time. So for example if you set 6AM and you don't run calibre till later in the day, it will start the download at whatever time you started it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
baratono
baratono began at the beginning.

It's not working properly here either after the move to 0.6.18.

Calibre is left running all of the time, the computer (Win XP Pro SP2) is never shut down, the computer clock is synced via NTP.

I've been using the news download feature for months without any issues. I've got about ten different newsfeeds set to download at various times between 2p and 3p local time. Most of them are "Every day at xx:yy".

After the update to .18 (and reentering all of the missing subscriptions lost in the upgrade), the first day it appeared to work OK with my expected subscriptions appearing in the library. That evening, I connected the Kindle, Calibre copied them over and then it deleted them from the library (as I have it set to do). I was about to eject the Kindle when I noticed that Calibre had started to download the same subscriptions all over again. It downloaded them all again and copied them to the Kindle for a second time.

Today I'm looking at Calibre at around 4p and it has not downloaded any of my daily newsfeeds that were scheduled to happen between 2p and 3p.

Something is amiss in 0.6.18...
baratono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK can you find the file scheduler.xml on your computer (it will be in the caliber config directory) and post it here.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
baratono
baratono began at the beginning.

scheduler.xml file is attached.

Computer clock and Calibre scheduled times are all in EDT.

I did try deleting and re-entering some of my subscriptions (NOAA, Slashdot & DarkNet, if I recall) which triggered them to immediately start downloading. The scheduler.xml is from after this change...
Attached Files
File Type: xml scheduler.xml (2.5 KB, 439 views)
baratono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah there was a bug in the new scheduler code coming from the fact that last downloaded times are stored in UTC while current day checking is done in the local time zone. Will be fixed in next release.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
rb9999
rb9999 began at the beginning.

Is there a temporary way around it? Like enter a time that is offset from the time you want to run it...or is it based on the last time you downloaded before upgrading?
rb9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the interval download setting instead of the daily one.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
gatorguy
gatorguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have also had the same issues with a Windows and Ubuntu installation and have tested the daily setting "Every 1.0 days" and the interval setting "Every day at 4:00:00 AM" to no avail.

Do you know if the 0.6.45 version resolves this issue?

Thanks,
Gatorguy
gatorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This issue was resolved a long time ago.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
I just upgraded to v6.45 and the scheduled newsfeed download is not working. I've also tried the "download now" button and that's not working either.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You've probably got a corrupted install. Uninstall, delete c:\Program Files\calibre and C:|program files\calibre2 and re-install
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
kvorion
kvorion began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I recently started using calibre, and my scheduled downloads are not happening at the time I set. I have had my pc running for over 24 hours, and I have downloaded manually several times during these 24 hours just testing the functionality and trying to write new recipes.
In any case, I have tried setting the scheduler to download at various times during the past 24 hours, and it never starts at that time.

Is there something I am missing?
kvorion is offline   Reply With Quote