Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
0.8.49 is unable to create directory on SD card

My setup: PocketBook 301+ with a 1 GB SD card in the addon slot

I have been using Calibre to sync ebooks to my 301+ tonight, but it always fails on certain authors. Here's a copy of one of the errors:

calibre, version 0.8.49
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'K:\\Russell, Eric Frank'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 264, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1120, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'K:\\Russell, Eric Frank'

This is very strange, because I can go to the next author on my list and tell Calibre to sync with my 301+ and I get no errors. The sync completes and the book is now on my 301+. I can't figure out why this is happening.

I just synced a book by John Ringo, then I try the next book and get this:

calibre, version 0.8.49
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'K:\\Cornell, Paul'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 264, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1120, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'K:\\Cornell, Paul'

The syncing works, but only with some authors and not all.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Just for fun I tried to create the directory 'Russell, Eric Frank' just like Calibre tried. I got an error, too. Windows 7 gave me this error: Unable to create the folder 'new folder'. File system error 65535.

Doing a quick search on that error took me here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-71a11662b051

I'm scanning the SD card for errors now.

Last edited by speedtouch; 04-30-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have too many entries in the root of your SD card. Reformat it as FAT32, or delete some entries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I will try that tonight. The error check came out fine, so I suppose the card is ok. I hope it's just the FAT/FAT32 issue as you said.

Oh, and thank you for making Calibre! I got it way back in 2010 when I got my PocketBook 301+, but I didn't understand how to use it. Recently, I started using Microsoft's Zune to organize and sync all my music. Then I fully understood what Calibre was all about. So downloaded it again over the weekend and spent several days organizing, tagging, sorting, and removing duplicates in my ebook collection. I get it! I understand it now and it's fantastic!

Thank you for such a great program.

Last edited by speedtouch; 05-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Woohoo! Formatting the SD card to FAT32 fixed the issue. Thank you, Kovid.