Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
P + E = Total Collection

A couple of days ago, I was looking for a book on Amazon. I checked my collection in Calibre, and it wasn't there, so I bought it.

Um, the book was only available in paper, and my Calibre library shows only my ebooks...but I am so used to ebooks that I sort of forgot that I own thousands of paper ones, as well. The title seemed familiar, so I went to my wooden bookshelves and discovered I actually had a paper copy already.

And this lead me to think about entering my paper books in Calibre so I would never make the same mistake again. This is what I did.

I have a iPod Touch, so I cruised through the barcode readers and found an app called Barcode Collector. It takes a photo of the barcodes and then creates a list of them, which I then mailed to myself.

I copied the list, opened Calibre, clicked Add Books, clicked Add from ISBN, pasted the list into the text box, and assigned a default Paper tag. Then I downloaded the metadata.

I now have a way to enter all my paper books into Calibre so hopefully, I will now have a truly complete catalog of all my books, regardless of whether they are paper or electronic.

Last edited by sglinert; 02-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinert View Post
A couple of days ago, I was looking for a book on Amazon. I checked my collection in Calibre, and it wasn't there, so I bought it.

Um, the book was only available in paper, and my Calibre library shows only my ebooks...but I am so used to ebooks that I sort of forgot that I own thousands of paper ones, as well. The title seemed familiar, so I went to my wooden bookshelves and discovered I actually had a paper copy already.

And this lead me to think about entering my paper books in Calibre so I would never make the same mistake again. This is what I did.

I have a iPod Touch, so I cruised through the barcode readers and found an app called Barcode Collector. It takes a photo of the barcodes and then creates a list of them, which I then mailed to myself.

I copied the list, opened Calibre, clicked Add Books, clicked Add from ISBN, pasted the list into the text box, and assigned a default Paper tag. Then I downloaded the metadata.

I now have a way to enter all my paper books into Calibre so hopefully, I will now have a truly complete catalog of all my books, regardless of whether they are paper or electronic.
Totally NEAT!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
I did discover, while cruising through my paper books, that some of them are too old to have an ISBN, and some of them don't have an ISBN bar code. I will have to add these manually at some point by creating an empty book record in Calibre and filling in the screen by hand.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebook, isbn, paper, scanner