Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
ViralMage
ViralMage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Calibre converted comics cut off on Kobo

I've set "Keep Aspect Ratio" and "Disable Trimming", but I've noticed that the bottom 36 pixels have been cut off when viewing the epub files on my Kobo. When I open up the epub, the entire image is there. It's happened with all images converted using Calibre I've viewed on my Kobo. I think it might be a problem with Calibre having the wrong usable screen size set, but I don't know how to change this to test it. If someone could let me know, that'd be great. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.
ViralMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I used Calibre's convert to pdf for pocket book sized Manga. I tried the same thing for newspaper style comic strips. It breaks them up into two panels per Kobo page and I have not figured out how to get them displayed in a four panel landscape mode on my kobo.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre assumes the kobo available screen size is 584x754 for comics. If it is different, let me know and I will update the output profile.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Shiara
Shiara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
This has been driving me nuts as well. kovidgoyal, does that available screen size include the bottom section of the screen that is taken up for a strip showing the chapter name and page number? I feel like that's the amount of space that is being cut off on the comics.
Shiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was the size reported to me by an early Kobo user. I don't have access to a Kobo myself to verify it.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It was the size reported to me by an early Kobo user. I don't have access to a Kobo myself to verify it.
Anything I can do to help out?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you can figure out the correct size, that would be helpful. Just create a sample image that marks of the bottom x pixels in a different color, put it into a cbz and convert to epub and see how many pixels are cut off.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

I believe the Kobo has a 600 × 800 pixels resolution screen.

At least that's the only pixel resolution I have have seen quoted in various articles and wiki pages.

Sources quoting 600x800:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...o-ereader.html
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ader-a-review/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers

EDIT: Thanks RR. I was thinking about this post as I was searching for credible links regarding the resolution and it hit me that it didn't really make sense... 800x600 would have been bigger than what Kovid has it set to now, so it wouldn't be cutting stuff off, doh!

Last edited by Stinger; 06-17-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I believe the Kobo has a 600 × 800 pixels resolution screen.

At least that's the only pixel resolution I have have seen quoted in various articles and wiki pages.

Sources quoting 600x800:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...o-ereader.html
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ader-a-review/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers
But that resolution includes the unusable space taken up by page count. When I have some time, perhaps later tonight, I will play around with an image file and see what size it will handle before cutting off the bottom.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's the entire screen resolution, I need the actually available screen resolution which currently calibre assume is 584x754
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
techie42
Zealot

I had a crazy thought about emailing tech support for the viewable screen size. But I got a cut and paste answer about font scaling issues. So I replied back in a 'slightly' snippy way asking for more technical information about screen resolutions.

For that one I got a reply back that my issue had been escalated.

:-)
Old 06-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
ViralMage
ViralMage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
I made a series of PNG files in paint, all of them at 584x754. I played around with some lines until I found where they got cut off. I then made two more pictures, to double check: One with a single pixel border that should be just visible, and one with a two pixel zig/zag border, with one pixel visible and one not. They appeared exactly as I thought they should. If this is a valid test, then the actual usable screen size is 540x718. It looks like my original guess of 36 pixels on the bottom was right! I didn't notice the 44 pixels off the sides, though...
Anyways, if anyone's interested in the epub I'll upload it somewhere. I'm looking forward to testing it after the changes are out. Kovid, if you'd like me to test it before you update the actual program, I'd be more than happy to. Just let me know how.
ViralMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, I've updated the profile with that information. Will be in next release.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralMage View Post
I made a series of PNG files in paint, all of them at 584x754. I played around with some lines until I found where they got cut off. I then made two more pictures, to double check: One with a single pixel border that should be just visible, and one with a two pixel zig/zag border, with one pixel visible and one not. They appeared exactly as I thought they should. If this is a valid test, then the actual usable screen size is 540x718. It looks like my original guess of 36 pixels on the bottom was right! I didn't notice the 44 pixels off the sides, though...
Anyways, if anyone's interested in the epub I'll upload it somewhere. I'm looking forward to testing it after the changes are out. Kovid, if you'd like me to test it before you update the actual program, I'd be more than happy to. Just let me know how.
Great work! That's exactly how I was planning on determining the size but still haven't had a chance too.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
techie42
Zealot

You guys make a great SQA team!