Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
brisan1938
brisan1938 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs down 2 Kindles

Hi Guys

My first post! Have just bought a Kindle and am completely hooked. Would love to buy one for my elderly mum who loves to read - but has no clue about computers etc. I would have to down load any books etc for her. Would I be able to use both Kindles on calibre if so how would calibre recognise which machine is attached. Also could I load any books that I have already download
(free books of course) on to her machine.
Would be most grateful for any info as I don't to buy her something that we can't use.
brisan1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could do what I do sometimes. My mom has a Sony Reader and sometimes I do remote access her computer to help her with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As long as the eBooks have no DRM then there is no problem using them on both readers.

Note that Calibre will not ever remember what is on each Kindle - that is up to you. However if you plug either Kindle in via USB it will show you what is already on that Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My mom has a Kobo which is registered to my account. When she wants a new book, I obtain it for her and load it onto the Kobo when I see her.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
brisan1938
brisan1938 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the replies
1. Mum doesn't own a computer
2 Sorry to be so dim but what is DRM
3 how do you load it on to your mums Kobo?
brisan1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I see my mom fairly often, so I either bring my laptop over and plug the kobo in, or she comes in for a minute when she drops me off and we do it then. I try and wait until I have a few for her---but she has about 50 on there right now so she'll be busy for awhile!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisan1938 View Post
2 Sorry to be so dim but what is DRM
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It is a form of protection (encryption) that is used with many purchased books that limits where the book can be read (normally by tying it to a specific device). It also stops the book being converted to any other ebook format.

You mentioned that you had free books so hopefully they will not be DRM protected.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I bought a kindle 3 for my mom who is 85. She lives on the East coast and I live on the west.
When I told her I was getting her one she was quite afraid. Kept asking how much it cost me and if it could be returned if she didn't like it.

I put several thousand books on it and sent it to her and she loves it. I was expecting a lot of pain but was only 3 phone calls.

She had to spend 3 days in hospital last week and despite being worried about theft the kindle went with her.

Bottom line is that if you can put them on your kindle you should be able to put them on hers
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote