Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Weird error caused by the publisher

Okay so I recently bought a Toby Bishop series from Fictionwise.

Airs Beneath the Moon
Airs and Graces
Airs and of Night and Sea

Now the weird part comes in, I was reading Airs Beneath the Moon and felt like it was the second book in a series, it did not feel like a first book. I verified with the authors website that I was reading them in order.

After some head scratching and general confusion I figured out what the problem was.

Airs Beneath the Moon actually contained the book Airs and Graces, the two books started the same and ended the same.

So in essence I got 2 copies of Airs and Graces, instead of Airs Beneath the Moon and Airs and Graces.

I contacted fictionwise and they verified that it was indeed an issue and they were contacting their vendor about it.

That is just a weird problem to have! I mean occasional formatting, spelling and grammar errors I expect, but the wrong book entirely!?!

Just strange!

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 02-23-2009 at 03:25 AM.
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Haven't had that happen before. Hopefully FW will get things straitened out for you ASAP.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That's an interesting mistake.

You'll get your corrected -- and correct book -- and I also think you should get some credit deposited into your account.

I think we should all petition Fictionwise to give him, say....$5.00 in credit...for a purchase.

COME ON, FICTIONWISE, GIVE THIS GUY AN EXTRA $5.00 IN CREDIT!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no fix yet

Well so far the file has not been fixed. :-(

I emailed them to check up on the progress, since it has been over a week now.

I also noted that FW is still selling the book, which IMO they should not be until the file is corrected so the person buying the book actually gets the book that they ordered.

Ahh well, will update when I find out more.

Amy
Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Well so far the file has not been fixed. :-(

I emailed them to check up on the progress, since it has been over a week now.

I also noted that FW is still selling the book, which IMO they should not be until the file is corrected so the person buying the book actually gets the book that they ordered.

Ahh well, will update when I find out more.

Amy

That doesn't seem right or even HONEST. They should have a NOTE on their website where this book is located, so readers who buy the book will KNOW that it will be eventually FIXED and a newer version will be released.

FICTIONWISE: Come on, Fictionwise. You're one of the "Good Guys."

Don
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Fictionwise recently fixed a bunch of typos in a book I had bought, and released the corrected file, in only a week or so. I was surprised at the fast response. Maybe they have more access to some files to be able to fix them themselves.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Fictionwise recently fixed a bunch of typos in a book I had bought, and released the corrected file, in only a week or so. I was surprised at the fast response. Maybe they have more access to some files to be able to fix them themselves.

Yes, that's true.

However, we're talking about something altogether different here: Fictionwise is continuing to sell a title with the wrong book in the title; furthermore, they are not telling their customers that the book they are ordering is the incorrect book.

The problem originated with the publisher. The publisher will be correcting (or is in the process of correcting) this mistake.

Fictionwise, however, has nothing on their website at the book's location on their webpage telling the readers that the book customers are thinking of purchasing is the wrong title. The customer discovers this ONLY after buying the book. Or from reading MobileRead.

Don
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
sassanik
Guru

yep

I got an email from them earlier this week.

Quote:
Hi,

I would give our supplier about a week to fix this issue. Also, I have asked to take this ebook temporarily off sale.

Best Regards,

Fictionwise Support Team
Last time I checked FW website the book was still for sale

This problem is not one that FW can fix, it is a publisher issue. If they don't have a good copy of the book to start with, they can't fix the issue. This is beyond some typos, this is a whole book.

Hopefully they will get the copy of the book fixed very soon. They have responded very quickly to my emails even if the problem has not been fixed yet, which in this case is not FW's fault. In general FW has good support.

Though they should not be selling the book still, as it is not what its title says.

Amy
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Has this happened to anyone else before?
I have purchased a few eBooks where the downloaded file was only about 5k and contained only message saying it was a download 'sample' created to prove that my device could indeed read Mobipocket eBooks. In those cases Fictionwise very quickly responded to me saying that they had replaced the 'sample' with the actual eBook for download.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Make no mistake, Fictionwise IS a great company.

But they are selling a book that does not contain the title the buyer purchased. My argument is that they have not posted a disclaimer on their site telling the customer this, even though the publisher is in the process of fixing this error.

I'm flabbergasted by Fictionwise, precisely BECAUSE they are usually so responsive.

Don
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also noticed that with airs beneath the moon where it seemed like a second book
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
That's so strange. I've never had a problem with FW. I actually bought Perdido Street Station a while back and found out I was missing the middle part of the book. It took around a month and a half and maybe six emails between myself and customer service. Have never had any other problem with them. They usually do as best they can.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
sassanik
Guru

good thing

I suppose its a good thing that this is an unusual problem! If it happened regularly readers would get annoyed very quickly!

Amy
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Last year I bought a Hamish Macbeth book from Fictionwise and was surprised to discover it was all about The Beatles.
Fictionwise fixed it in about 2 weeks.
I don't think it's their fault. They get the files elsewhere so they have to chase other firms to get mistakes fixed.
There was a similiar problem with the Harlequin bundles one month this year - they were actually the previous years books. That got fixed pretty quickly. It was probably Harlequin's error that time.
I've never had a problem Fictionwise hasn't fixed and I buy LOTS of books - at least 30 a month.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
By the way, did you know that Toby Bishop is actually Louise Marley?
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote