Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kpw tool chain

This one is a bit easier to deal with than the older Kindles:

Code:
000618 GCC: (Linaro GCC 4.5-2011.05-0) 4.5.4 20110505 (prerelease)
000654 GCC: (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu1) 4.4.5 20100909 (prerelease)
With a fairly recent libc, using kernel header ABI of 2.6.16:
Code:
core2quad lib $ file libc-2.12.1.so
libc-2.12.1.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, stripped
As to other compiler options, hints here:
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "7-A"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v7
  Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
  Tag_FP_arch: VFPv3
  Tag_Advanced_SIMD_arch: NEONv1
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align_needed: 8-byte
  Tag_ABI_align_preserved: 8-byte, except leaf SP
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
  Tag_DIV_use: Not allowed
  Tag_Virtualization_use: TrustZone
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
*makes notes* - which will probably have dust on them by the time one hits the UK.

*makes notes anyway*

err, correct me if I am wrong but that seems to be identical hardware no? to the 5.

And the TC is still one pre-dating the shift the hardfloat (2012.05 I think) so all in that looks pretty much like everything built for - say - a 3, with judicious flag love, would still run nicely on that. (Image resolution and Bpp bête noires aside )

Well, that was nice of them, I also thought for some reason in my foggy mind that they might strip the ram on the newer devices but looks like it was just the storage.

And the sound. Which reminds me I have all the code for OTGUSB now (latest branch) for the 4, which would be nice to run on one for sanity testing prior to a port effort but not required. OTGUSB would be nice too.

I digress with my scattergun comments, so the device looks near identical and the code will be cross device between YOSHI and YOSHIME.
(Not quite the flaming lips pink robots Yoshimi but close enough that I can remember it : )

Happy days then, nice work mate.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmm... am I the only one who doesn't understand a thing in this thread?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
This space reserved, (off topic)

Last edited by qlob; 10-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Same hardware (other than the screen details) as before

And the Toolchain is very similar but newer making it simple to run old code on the new devices.

I thought they had reduced memory in the new PaperWhite compared to a 5 but Amazon have not done that.

It would be good to port the (now located) code we have for On The Go Universal Serial Bus devices across to the PaperWhite to support a soundcard.

The device name "Yohsime", is very similar the "Yoshimi battles the pink robots" (or something) by the band "The flaming lips", so that is nice and easy to remember

This makes me happy, Thank you KNC1 for doing this work
Better?
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Off topic

Last edited by qlob; 10-05-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Nope, I'm here too.
Thanks for reassuring me. I think that knc1 and twobob are using some encryption method that can't be cracked by mere mortals.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker

off topic

Last edited by qlob; 10-05-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Welcome aboard!!
That's what I think while reading half of these threads...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

OK, thanks for the feedback @all.

So I'll try to explain my point. Note that I'm NOT trying to discredit anyone - I'm simply stating facts and suggestions.

@knc1: Your initial post is completely lacking all context. You're throwing in some dumps, but nobody can really know what they mean. Please provide the context of what you are posting.

@twobob: your english skills are exceptional, and you're very skilled at playing with words. This is cool. But this forum is frequented by people from all over the world, and only very few people are native english speakers who will get the fine details - rather, it is likely that people will simply not understand texts, and a more straightforward wording would me more understandable. Please use "common" english.

OK... done.

I realize that I have been criticizing you guys quite explicitly. Still, please take this as constructive criticism. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm just telling you what I see.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
A mayan goddess if suiside is a MORTAL?!?
Man, gods are low quality these days...
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
A mayan goddess if suiside is a MORTAL?!?
Man, gods are low quality these days...
Yeah, my time as a goddess is long gone...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
twobob

Well. That's an interesting point.

And one that should probably be taken quite seriously.

The value of threads that assume prior technical or code knowledge is less than those that provide a notated reference.

That said there is a - widely diverse - network of this information scattered throughout these threads, and in the case of the Java stuff it is neatly written up on the Wiki. (In the main) but even there it again presumes that you have some understanding of Java.
(and sqlite db's and other stuff)

So, yes, I agree, it could be made clearer, more easily referenced and we could be more expansive in our answers.

All that said the raw details will always be raw

In this case: "Not obvious until you have had a play with cross-compilation or whatever," so I guess the advice is always just "Dive in and have a go."

When it becomes critical to understand the details they generally become clear in the end.

: ) So, for my part I will try to keep the idioms down to a minimum.

Last edited by twobob; 10-05-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Sure glad I slept through all of that.

Of the nearly 200,000 members at this site, at least 5 to 10 of them are known to have the background required to make the lead post useful.
Probably many more of them than that, but I have only worked with 5 to 10 of them so far.

Let me shake out my flame suit and see if I can do something the other 199,990 might find, if not useful, at least interesting trivia.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
twobob

hehehe flame suit. I want one