Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
What is your favorite reading environment?

Most of us here admit to reading for pleasure. We bought our readers so we could spend many pleasurable hours enjoying our favorite authors. Many of us have a special place in our homes that is dedicated to this pastime. Ever since I got back from the west with my Sony Reader, I have catted around this apartment, first on the computer room sofa, next on the living room sofa, then the bed, finally at the mahjongg table in the sunroom. I would probably read in a tub of broken glass if that is all I had, but yesterday I found my special place. Here is my story.

I had just finished my mid-afternoon massage. I have this tiny woman that climbs onto the massage table with me and goes to work with knees and elbows. When she slows down you can almost see her wings. She causes me great pain, but I always leave there with a profound quality-of-life buzz.

I was drifting toward home like a small dirigible, trying to stay in the shady spots when I saw a man sitting in a bentwood rocker. He was being smoked by a cigarette and looked perfectly relaxed. The shop was one I had visited before -- sort of a combination chair store and mahjongg parlor.

I called my personal purchasing agent. She showed up in about five minutes and went to work negotiating for the chair. She saves me a lot of money, usually stopping just short of making the shop owner cry. But when you are living on a fixed income in a third world economy, what can you do? She finally settled on a price just shy of US$30.

The shop lady drove me and my new chair home in her little diesel pickup. I carried it up the stairs and installed it in it's new home in the sun room. I shucked my hat and shoes, picked up my Reader and sat. I promptly fell asleep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_chair.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	4309
It is the perfect place to have morning coffee and my favorite read. What is your story?

Last edited by mogui; 07-03-2007 at 09:51 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
That sounds wonderful mogui.

For me its an old leather chair that has been around since Hector was a pup. The leather is all soft and well loved. No cracks. We had it restrung (is that the right term?) a few years back and has a great feel to it. Just over my left shoulder is a floor lamp that is bright enough without causing any glare.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't got my perfect reading/sleeping spot yet, but I know just where to go (I've been saving my nickels and dimes -- literally -- for a long time, and we'll have space for the 7.5 footer after we move at the end of the month ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Ah! A 7.5' cat bed for people! It sounds great. It must need a room of its own.

Years ago we built a house on the shores of Medicine Lake. The house had two great decadent spaces. One was the very upstairs of the stair well. It was about big enough to house NatCh's reading bag. It became the TV room and was a favorite family space.

The other spot was a big canvas chair hanging from the apex of the vaulted ceiling in the living room. If you felt lively you could swing it quite far. In repose, it was quite comforting.

My bentwood rocker is going to get a companion soon -- a hanging chair. This one will hang on a spring from a metal frame. They are made of rattan (I think) like the bentwood rocker. Then I will be able to choose whether I want to rock or jiggle.

For many years I have dreamed of a chair that provides an enclosure for reading or computing or listening to music. It would have its own environmental controls, so no matter the weather you could be comfortable. It would have a flat screen and keyboard with the CPU under the seat. There would be, of course, good reading lights.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I haven't got my perfect reading/sleeping spot yet, but I know just where to go (I've been saving my nickels and dimes -- literally -- for a long time, and we'll have space for the 7.5 footer after we move at the end of the month ).
Some of those are bigger than my entire house .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
On my patio, in my snowshoe chair, enjoying the wonderful weather (we sometimes get around here).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
The shop lady drove me and my new chair home in her little diesel pickup. I carried it up the stairs and installed it in it's new home in the sun room. I shucked my hat and shoes, picked up my Reader and sat. I promptly fell asleep.

It is the perfect place to have morning coffee and my favorite read. What is your story?
I want a chair like this! Looks very compfy, mogui!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
On my patio, in my snowshoe chair, enjoying the wonderful weather (we sometimes get around here).
Wow, a folding chair that actually looks comfortable! Color me impressed, rlauzon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Ah! A 7.5' cat bed for people! It sounds great. It must need a room of its own.
Well, it'll be mostly a dog bed, but yeah, more or less.

I've wanted a giant 'bean bag' for most all of my adult life, and they became available about the time I got married and had no room and acquired a need to reign in the rampant credit card use had been perpetrating -- took a while to recover from that. Now, we're about to get into our first house, and I literally have been saving change for about three years to come up with the, er, coin to drop on this baby, so five or six weeks from now, I'll be stylin'!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well! Wether you want to hear or not, I have more time to read at the "facility" than at my favorite place; a lounge chair with a warmer cover.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Lessee.. My favorite reading environment....

Anywhere I'm breathing.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Well! Wether you want to hear or not, I have more time to read at the "facility" than at my favorite place; a lounge chair with a warmer cover.
Heh, the last time you brought that up (post #15), yvanleterrible, it led to the revelation of my superpowers!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like to read in a beautiful white chaise lounge in my bedroom. I never thought I'd like such a chair, but it's wonderful for reading.

I'm planning to trade up to a lazy boy or nice leather chair like you see in the movies at an upscale private men's club with the luxurious reading room. Hope I don't miss the old chair too much when that happens!

I think someone else had mentioned getting a super sized bean bag chair. That's sounds pretty great for reading also!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I usually read propped in bed -- because it's the only semi-private semi-quiet place in the house (we have two teen-aged girls). I used to have an office in what had been our garage, with an old sofa, but we moved to a house without extra office (or garage) space.

If I get up for a snack in the middle of the night, I read sitting on the kitchen floor.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I usually read propped in bed
Ditto. 90% of my reading time is in a bed.
About 10% I read in an american type sofa It is more comfortable than reading in the bed but usually my reading time is before I go to bed or the first thing in the weekend morning. Only over weekend I am reading in the sofa.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You guys are lucky!

Being afflicted by the snoring of Stantor, I am only permitted to join sleeping quarters when my spouse is asleep. It is the only arrangement possible otherwise we both stay up and all our entourage will get it the next day!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote