Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #5671
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My apologies to the non-Americans; I know this is impossible for them. When I ran across a list of nicknames, I couldn't resist; some of them seemed so absurd. Kudos to Shayne Parkinson for Mitten State.

Mother of Rivers
Mother of Rivers (not a typo; there are two)
Sucker State
Mitten State = Michigan (Shayne Parkinson)
Iodine Products State
Home of Tax Free Shopping
Mother of Presidents = Virginina (Hamlet53)
Mother of Modern Presidents = Ohio (Daithi)
Land of Infinite Variety
Hog and Hominy State
Tomato State
Baja Wisconsin
Sleepy State
Rip Van Winkle State
Holland of America
Italy of America
Switzerland of America = Colorado (Hamlet53)
Lizard State
Valentine State
Land of Steady Habits
Friendly State = Utah (Stichawl, close enough)
Friendship State
Land of the Noonday Moon = Alaska (Hamlet53)
Toothpick State = Arkansas (Stichawl)
Potatonia = Idaho (Hamlet53)
Hemp State
Vacationland
Home of Beautiful Women
Puke State
Free State = Maryland (Stichawl)
Blue Law State

Hamlet53's got four, Stichawl has three, Daithi and Shayne Parkinson have one apiece. Snickering in turn at poohbear and North Carolina; NC is on the list, but not for its blue laws.

Some of these seem pretty obvious to me, but that probably reflects my northeast bias. On the other hand, I would have made many of the same guesses, including those for Mother of Rivers, Rip Van Winkle, Tax-Free Shopping and Italy of America.

The remaining states, for those who want to try plugging them in:

Alabama
Arizona (2)
Connecticut (2)
Colorado
Delaware
lllinois (2)
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Missouri (2)
New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Carolina
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #5672
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
'The Land of Steady Habits' sounds just adorable!
I went to college in The Land of Steady Habits; I wish it had rubbed off on me.
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #5673
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Snickering in turn at poohbear and North Carolina; NC is on the list, but not for its blue laws.
*hanging head in shame* I've never been publicly snickered at before!

I don't recognize ANY of those as NC nicknames

NONE of my guesses was right?

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 02-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #5674
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Land of Steady Habits - New Hampshire (suggested purely because I think I recall that you went to college there. Or that you live there. Or something).
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #5675
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
*hanging head in shame* I've never been publicly snickered at before!

I don't recognize ANY of those as NC nicknames

NONE of my guesses was right?
My apologies! I was snickering at the tendency to apply negative monikers to states one has a personal relationship with. Although Daithi picked Rhode Island as Italy of America and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Land of Steady Habits - New Hampshire (suggested purely because I think I recall that you went to college there. Or that you live there. Or something).
Good memory, but you're right, I live in New Hampshire. I work in Massachusetts and went to college in a third New England state. New England's small. And I'm not a native of any of them, just for the record, now that spring training will be starting in a few days.

I never would have guessed the New Hampshire nickname on the list.

I'll let this ride until morning in case someone wants to try plugging in the answers.
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #5676
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, and since there are only two more on this list to choose from, I'm going to guess that Land of Steady Habits is Connecticut.

Since Illinois is just south of Wisconsin, I'll suggest it for Baja Wisconsin.

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 02-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #5677
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
In that case, and since there are only two more on this list to choose from, I'm going to guess that Land of Steady Habits is Connecticut.

Since Illinois is just south of Wisconsin, I'll suggest it for Baja Wisconsin.
You're putting the Yanks to shame, Shayne. Right on both.

Mother of Rivers
Sucker State
Iodine Products State
Land of Infinite Variety
Hog and Hominy State
Tomato State
Baja Wisconsin =Illinois (Shayne Parkinson)
Sleepy State
Rip Van Winkle State
Holland of America
Italy of America
Lizard State
Valentine State
Land of Steady Habits = Connecticut (Shayne Parkinson)
Friendship State
Hemp State
Vacationland
Home of Beautiful Women
Puke State
Blue Law State

Hamlet53's got four, Stichawl and Shayne Parkinson have three, and Daithi has one. Plenty of room for the random guesser to come out in front.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #5678
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Vacationland = Missouri
Hemp State = Tennessee
Friendship State = Penn.
Blue Law State = Illinois

Just guesses... Heck, most American would have trouble placing the states on an empty map, much less knowing the nicknames!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #5679
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Vacationland = Missouri
Hemp State = Tennessee
Friendship State = Penn.
Blue Law State = Illinois

Just guesses... Heck, most American would have trouble placing the states on an empty map, much less knowing the nicknames!

Stitchawl
Keep 'em coming!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #5680
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Since Delaware is low and flat (and on the coast), I'll guess it for Holland of America.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #5681
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Home of Beautiful Women = California because of Hollywood?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #5682
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Mother of Rivers = Missouri
Mother of Rivers = Texas
Mother of Rivers = Arkansas
Mother of Rivers = Colorado
Mother of Rivers = Oregon
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #5683
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Mother of Rivers = Missouri
Mother of Rivers = Texas
Mother of Rivers = Arkansas
Mother of Rivers = Colorado
Mother of Rivers = Oregon
Colorado is correct. Look closer to home for the other.

Mother of Rivers = Colorado (Daithi)
Sucker State
Iodine Products State
Land of Infinite Variety
Hog and Hominy State
Tomato State
Baja Wisconsin =Illinois (Shayne Parkinson)
Sleepy State
Rip Van Winkle State
Holland of America
Italy of America
Lizard State
Valentine State
Land of Steady Habits = Connecticut (Shayne Parkinson)
Friendship State
Hemp State
Vacationland
Home of Beautiful Women
Puke State
Blue Law State

Hamlet53's got four, Stichawl and Shayne Parkinson have three, and Daithi has two. A dark horse can still take it.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #5684
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Home of Beautiful Women = California because of Hollywood?
The Home of Beautiful Women is one that tickled me. So not what I would have picked. Another is the Iodine Products State; that'll pull in the punters.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #5685
Shayne Parkinson
Author

So, not Delaware for Holland of America? Hmm, another low-lying coastal state: Louisiana?