Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #17521
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm currently reading one of my hardback First Editions of "The Eyes of the Interred," by Nobel winner Miguel Ángel Asturias

This is part of his 'Banana Trilogy.'

I enjoy magical realism and have enjoyed reading his works since having discovered him in 1973 - with this book, by the way.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #17522
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished Indecent Exposure by the late Tom Sharpe; a ruthless no-holds-barred satire of the South African police and South African politics during Apartheid. It was quite funny and quite dark. No heroes in this tale; only some very unlovable but interesting characters. The only bad part is that not everyone dies in the end.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #17523
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished Indecent Exposure by the late Tom Sharpe; a ruthless no-holds-barred satire of the South African police and South African politics during Apartheid. It was quite funny and quite dark. No heroes in this tale; only some very unlovable but interesting characters. The only bad part is that not everyone dies in the end.
Oh no! Satire, dark, funny, South Africa -- can't pass this one up. Deon Meyer's Benny Griessel series enamored me with South African police stories. But it will have to get in line although it's moving to the front. Thanks, Tom.

Currently reading The Rebels of Ireland by Edward Rutherford, having enjoyed The Princes of Ireland earlier in the month. Also listening to the excellent Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs, but for that I need a box of tissue and a private place so as not to cry in public.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #17524
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently reading two books -- David Weber's In Enemy Hands, #7 of the mainline Honor Harrington series, and Rick Mercer's A Nation Worth Ranting About.

In Enemy Hands is a well known quantity, and I'm mostly listening to it. Not one of the best in the series, at least at the beginning.

The Rick Mercer book, on the other hand, is an absolute gem. This man is arguably the funniest Canadian ever, unarguably a Canadian Treasure, and the book is a collection of Rants from his weekly show, combined with some commentary and new material. Even though I've watched every edition of his show that these rants are pulled from, they are still fresh, incisive, witty and well worth reading. Highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #17525
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Have you tried any of his "Wilt" books? More dark humour, about a put-upon husband who decides to take drastic action to rid himself of his domineering wife.

Another great book of his is Blott on the Landscape, this time in an English country house setting. Very funny. Was made into an excellent TV series starring M. Hercule Poirot himself, David Suchet.

He has also written a number of other standalone and short series novels, including Porterhouse Blue, which is set in a fictional English University, again hilarious. There is a follow-up, Grantchester Grind, which I can't remember having read, so it's now on my TBRL, thanks to your reminder .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #17526
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermychriston View Post
I just completed reading “World War Z: An oral history of Zombie War”. This book covers the entire zombie war, beginning from early zombie outbreaks and sightings. This is basically a book about an author writing a book. I got this book from my iPhone app. This app also gives a brief description about the book. As I read it found interesting. Thanks to my iPhone app which helped me to read this wonderful book. If you are a “zombie fan” it is a must read book. I really enjoyed it.
I was great fun, I agree. If you are into zombie fiction, then this thread may be of interest.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #17527
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
He has also written a number of other standalone and short series novels, including Porterhouse Blue, which is set in a fictional English University, again hilarious.
I agree that it's a wonderfully witty book, but just to note that it's set in a fictional College in Cambridge University. The university is very real .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #17528
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree that it's a wonderfully witty book, but just to note that it's set in a fictional College in Cambridge University. The university is very real .
Quite right - I read the blurb after posting and realised my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

I have decided after all this revisiting of Tom Sharpe books to reread Wilt, as it is so long since I first read it, and then catch up with the latest instalments, Wilt in Nowhere (#4) and The Wilt Inheritance (#5), neither of which I can remember reading.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #17529
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm halfway through Stephen J. Cannell's "Prostitute's Ball," the first of his Shane Scully series, and it is typical SJC! Fast moving, light reading, with good plot twists and characters.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #17530
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The latest issue of Asimov's Science Fiction, October/November 2013
Which was average. Nothing outstandingly good or bad.

Next: Analog SF/F, November 2013.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #17531
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, the last in the "proper" Mistborn trilogy. I know there is a fourth book and a fifth book will be released next year but those are set centuries later.

It's a very good read, not the usual end of a series where loose ends are tied up, a lot of new things are still introduced and I can't guess how it will end. It's very hard to put down.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #17532
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Have you tried any of his "Wilt" books? More dark humour, about a put-upon husband who decides to take drastic action to rid himself of his domineering wife.

Another great book of his is Blott on the Landscape, this time in an English country house setting. Very funny. Was made into an excellent TV series starring M. Hercule Poirot himself, David Suchet.

He has also written a number of other standalone and short series novels, including Porterhouse Blue, which is set in a fictional English University, again hilarious. There is a follow-up, Grantchester Grind, which I can't remember having read, so it's now on my TBRL, thanks to your reminder .
Thanks for those suggestions. Indecent Exposure was my first exposure to my namesake's work, and it took his recent death to get me off my backside and reading it. But it certainly won't be the last, unless a meteorite strikes me dead today or something else unforeseen happens.

— Tom Sharpe, now an official Tom Sharpe fan.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #17533
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
— Tom Sharpe, now an official Tom Sharpe fan.
Ha! That didn't even occur to me until you just pointed it out. Well of course you have to read him .
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #17534
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ilona Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

...I'm going to go with Benedisct Jacka's new one, Chosen (Alex Verus #4).
Reading Chosen was a real treat! Now on to another new release, Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) by Ilona Andrews!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #17535
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm currently reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, the last in the "proper" Mistborn trilogy. I know there is a fourth book and a fifth book will be released next year but those are set centuries later.

It's a very good read, not the usual end of a series where loose ends are tied up, a lot of new things are still introduced and I can't guess how it will end. It's very hard to put down.
The fourth book is quite good too, but as you mentioned its way far into the future. I knew there was going to be a 5th, glad to hear it will be here next year.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote