Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #16126
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, another Phryne Fisher. #11, Away with the Fairies. At least I know I'll have fun with it.
One of the better Phryne Fisher books, I really enjoyed it. But next, a bit of mindless fantasy from Mercedes Lackey, since I've had it sitting in my TBR for months
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #16127
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
Ready Player One

Oh man, this is the best book I've read since Wool Omnibus.
I might start this after I finish Watership Down, though I'm not sure if I should listen to it or read it. I might get the audiobook book version.

Last edited by Gazella; 04-01-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #16128
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Just started The Brothers Karamazov today. A Russian classic of immense proportions (literally), it's going to take a significant time to get through it.

Only 5% in and I'm already really enjoying it. I find that I'm highlighting and taking notes all over the place. For some reason Dostoyevsky has that effect on me.
one of the best books I have ever read
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #16129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On next, I think, to Raymond Feist's "Magican", a classic fantasy novel. It's many years since I read this; I'll be interested to see how well it bears re-reading. Well, I hope, given that I've bought all 25-odd of Feist's books .
The answer, I'm pleased to say, is that it stood the test of time extremely well; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On now to "Tied Up in Tinsel", the 27th book in Ngaio Marsh's "Inspector Alleyn" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #16130
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished "By Heresies Distressed", the 3rd book in the Safehold series by David Weber.

Now on to Hugh Howey's Shift Omnibus.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #16131
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Hominids by Robert J Sawyer the other day. It was written in an easy style, and flowed past quite effectively, but I didn't love it. I just didn't really buy the Neanderthal society. I doubt it would have got my vote for the Hugo that year.

I accidentally started A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin when I bought a used paperback of the Earthsea Quartet on Friday, so I've been reading that since. I consider it a serious gap in my SF/F upbringing, so it's good to finally be rectifying the matter. The Earthsea books are not available as ebooks in the UK, which is a bit of a disgrace.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #16132
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I finished the last two books in the Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. They were OK, but nothing spectacular and the ending just felt rushed, taking an easy way out. Not to mention that the whole trilogy wasn't scary at all.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #16133
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I finished the last two books in the Strain Trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. They were OK, but nothing spectacular and the ending just felt rushed, taking an easy way out. Not to mention that the whole trilogy wasn't scary at all.
Thanks for posting this. I read the first one a while ago and haven't bothered picking up the other 2. Most of the reviews I've read have said this exact thing about the last 2 novels.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #16134
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Now that was an interesting Fantasy read although quite brutal at times.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #16135
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I accidentally started A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin when I bought a used paperback of the Earthsea Quartet on Friday, so I've been reading that since. I consider it a serious gap in my SF/F upbringing, so it's good to finally be rectifying the matter. The Earthsea books are not available as ebooks in the UK, which is a bit of a disgrace.
I loved the first two and couldn't finish the third (many many years ago). Last year I picked up the third again and read it. Hmmmm - as I said, loved the first two.

I haven't read any of the others.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #16136
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is a gamble. Skyship Academy: The Pearl Wars by Nick James. A YA Sci-fi about two opposing groups on the hunt for energy "pearls" that drop from space.
I gambled and lost. Not sure how it made it to my TBR list. Perhaps, the blurb was intriguing enough. Skyship Academy: The Pearl Wars is the debut title by the indie published Nick James; a teacher in Washington State. I don't think I was the intended audience for this book. It's billed as YA but I would put it at juvenile younger than 12yo. There literally were no "big words." And me, being a middle-aged man , found it very simplistic and dull. No real unexpected plot twists. Everything went as planned except for one item. The mystery was revealed 2/3 of the way in and remained with no surprises at the end.

Also, this book was presented as being written by a YA instead of for a YA. That may have been intentional by Nick James. It may work for a 10yo but it didn't for me. The story doesn't end with this title but continues on in its sequel. Rated D [2 stars].

Next is a MR recommendation. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #16137
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I just got the galley proof of "Paris" by Edward Rutherfurd to read.

Part of the blurb:

Quote:
Moving back and forth in time across centuries, the story unfolds through intimate and vivid tales of self-discovery, divided loyalties , passion, and long-kept secrets of characters both fictional and real, all set against the backdrop of the glorious city—from the building of Notre Dame to the dangerous machinations of Cardinal Richlieu; from the glittering court of Versailles to the violence of the French Revolution and the Paris Commune; from the hedonism of the Belle Époque, the heyday of the impressionists, to the tragedy of the First World War; from the 1920s when the writers of the Lost Generation could be found drinking at Les Deux Magots to the Nazi occupation, the heroic efforts of the French Resistance, and the 1968 student revolt.
809 pages.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #16138
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Nex up: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
I really hated this book. It was just too much. Too much detail about everything. Moving on to Cinder by Marissa Meyer.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #16139
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Space Pioneers, the 5th selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus was a very enjoyable read.

The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz turned out to really have the feel of a Conan Doyle Holmes tale and I really got the feel of the environment and the characters. The story was very interesting as well and had some real surprising twists. With the exception of the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King I've stayed away from the Holmes-by-other-authors stories, but I'm sure glad to have read this one!

Now on to another Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) and Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow!
The Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) was again, an enjoyable and nostalgic read!

Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow was both exciting and insightful but I was highly dissapointed at the very end as it left me wondering (wondering what, I can't say). I guess you could call the ending a cliffhanger, but I'd tend to use a lot stronger terms that that about it. Enough said!

I must take some time before deciding what to read next.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #16140
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I really hated this book. It was just too much. Too much detail about everything. Moving on to Cinder by Marissa Meyer.
I was wondering how you were going to get on with that. The book interests me but I've seen some pretty up and down reactions to it. It was enough for me to put it in the "too hard" basket for the time being.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote