Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks for the correction and testing and info, very much appreciated.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I just got my Nexus 7.. still learning but liking..
Doug
I use both Zinio and the Kindle app for my periodicals. The N7 is the perfect size, IMHO, and the 1280x800 resolution is stunning. I rarely use my 10" Xoom for reading periodicals now. (I may change my mind when the 8.9" Fire arrives)

Last edited by Skydog; 10-27-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks for the correction and testing and info, very much appreciated.
You're welcome.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I read magazines and newspapers mostly on my iPad (3, 64gb, 3g).
But I get my newspapers also on a Kindle PW. Love the portability and reading in the sun.
I inherently dislike Zinio (too much spam email, slow and choppy downloading, delays in delivery), but I use it for National Geographic.
I use their own apps for The Economist, FT, and WSJ.
I get Foreign Affairs on the Kindle and Kindle app for iPad.

Last edited by vxf; 10-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
My Samsung galaxy tab.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It depends on availability. On my Galaxy Tab: If the magazine/newspaper is available as PDF, then I use either Adobe Reader (they've improved the Android app quite a lot in recent months) or RepliGo Reader (which does a wonderjob reflowing text without losing all the formatting).

Otherwise you are often stuck with the app that is offered by your magazine. For example I would love to read the Economist on my device, but I found the official Android app to be terrible, with slow scrolling and random crashes.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Otherwise you are often stuck with the app that is offered by your magazine. For example I would love to read the Economist on my device, but I found the official Android app to be terrible, with slow scrolling and random crashes.
The Economist is also available on Zinio.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The Economist is also available on Zinio.
I should try Zinio then.

Update: Installed it. It's the same price like the official digital edition, plus it offers the purchase of individual issues (nice!). I will give it a try.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
On my Nexus 7 I have been using the Play Magazines. Next Issue isn't available on any of my devices, and I have read some pretty bad reviews about Zinio & charges after canceling subscriptions - though their recent reviews look somewhat better.

While I love the N7, I do miss reading magazines on my NookColor, particularly the few that could be bookmarked.

Love not having piles of paper magazines around anymore, but can't wait for e-magazines to come with a searchable index, bookmarking, and links to the website or ability to bookmark to Springpad/Evernote/Pinterest.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Don't have a favorite reading device, but my favorite magazine app is the NY Times for Android. I have a digital subscription and it's the first app that I launch in the morning (either on my Samsung GS2 or on my wife's Nexus tablet).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #26
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My iPad2
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Favorite magazine app is Pulse on any device handy - desktop, Android, iOS, whatever.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #28
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I should try Zinio then.

Update: Installed it. It's the same price like the official digital edition, plus it offers the purchase of individual issues (nice!). I will give it a try.
Another option, if you want to read it on multiple devices, is to go the Kindle way. You can then install the Kindle app on your iPad and get it that way. But I think that only makes sense if you want to read it on multiple devices.

EDIT: brain is off. I see now you were talking about Android. Sorry.

Last edited by vxf; 11-01-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #29
shenye
Zealot

It's fine, I am open to other options. The way I read newspaper and magazines is to flip through the articles, and only stop when I find something of interest. I have a Kindle PW, which I use exclusively for reading novels. I thought its CPU and display were too slow to process newspaper content, although I haven't tried it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
vxf
Guru

Quote:
It's fine, I am open to other options. The way I read newspaper and magazines is to flip through the articles, and only stop when I find something of interest. I have a Kindle PW, which I use exclusively for reading novels. I thought its CPU and display were too slow to process newspaper content, although I haven't tried it.
You can get a free two-week trial for most of the big newspapers and magazines. I was skeptical too, but I actually find it a pleasant read. Actually, due to the fact that the file is pre-loaded, it is a much smoother and faster 'flipping through pages' than if you use the WSJ or FT apps on tablets - which are usually downloading in the background while you try to read and constantly hiccup.