Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
[EXPERIMENTAL] Running PW 5.2.0 Firmware on a Kindle Touch

First things first: no, it doesn't work.

So... I just tried to flash the PW kernel and main partition onto my Kindle Touch.

It looks like the device is willing to boot - I get a slightly displaced logo (normal, because the PW has a higher resolution than the Touch), and a spinning wheel under the guy sitting by the tree.

However, at that point it just hangs.

Any ideas about what could be done to troubleshoot what is going wrong?

Last edited by ixtab; 10-05-2012 at 04:19 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ha, I will not even risk to try it. Though, of course there is no risk at all...

You still could SSH to diag (through loading U-Boot in USB downloader mode), right? Then mount /var/local paritiion (p3) and take a look at the common log there (AFAIR, it's /var/local/log/messages).

BTW, there are nor module for zForce infrared touchscreen, nor module for KT's accelerometer, neither module for KT's Home button in dumped 5.2.0. But there is module for proximity sensor.

Last edited by eureka; 10-05-2012 at 03:06 AM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Ha, I will not even risk to try it. Though, of course there is no risk at all...

You still could SSH to diag (through loading U-Boot in USB downloader mode), right? Then mount /var/local paritiion (p3) and take a look at the common log there (AFAIR, it's /var/local/log/messages).
Yeah, I can still boot to diags, and I already tried to find some logs, but there's nothing

A log of some sort would indeed be very helpful, but it seems like it freezes before it even opens a log file...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've got to a spinning wheel, you've, at least got to upstart script /etc/upstart/early_progress.conf. It means that /var/local should be already mounted, as:
  • early_progress starts on display_ready
  • display_ready is emitted in /etc/upstart/display.conf which is started on mounted_varLocal
It aslo means that if you have executable /var/local/fixup (for example, with shell commands inside, also with shebang and chmodded to +x), it should be executed before "hanging". I know about it from /etc/upstart/filesystems_var_local.conf.

It might help in debugging.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yeah, I can still boot to diags, and I already tried to find some logs, but there's nothing

A log of some sort would indeed be very helpful, but it seems like it freezes before it even opens a log file...
That's not surprising. /var/local/log gets populated periodically by tinyrot or when you shutdown/reboot your Kindle.

The rest of /var is just a tmpfs filesystem that only lives in memory. That's why it's clean after a reboot.

I think if you get the bootup splash, you are already far enough into the boot process that syslog got started so you should find some stuff in /var/log. But only if you don't reboot

Try changing all references to /var/log/ in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf to a directory in /var/local/.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

Just taking a first look to find the new fonts

/lib/firmware is already missing things that are in K5.
/opt/amazon/loc_level_screens are now in 758x1024 (K5 is 600x800)

And I can't seem to find the fonts on the first look. They are not in /usr/java/lib/fonts in p1 - it is empty in PW.
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinO View Post
And I can't seem to find the fonts on the first look. They are not in /usr/java/lib/fonts in p1 - it is empty in PW.
They are in /usr/java/lib/fonts.cramfs.img.

Amazon has put several directories with many files into a compressed image that get mounted during startup.

You can mount it on Linux with this command:
Code:
mkdir fonts ; sudo mount -o loop path/to/fonts.cramfs.img fonts
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Just diffed the rootfs_md5_list files with cut md5 sums and was looking at the directory and saw it By that diff and judging by eye 5.1.2 vs 5.2.0 filelist matches quite substantially (md5 sums are different ofcourse).
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post

Amazon has put several directories with many files into a compressed image that get mounted during startup.

You can mount it on Linux with this command:
Code:
mkdir fonts ; sudo mount -o loop path/to/fonts.cramfs.img fonts
Thanks for that information!

I'm just wondering - WHY ON EARTH are they doing that?! They are effectively slowing down the device for no reason: Extracting the files takes time, and accessing them through whichever method they chose will also take more time than directly reading them from the file system. The only reason for doing this would have been if the partition was too small to hold all of the files, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So again: Why the f^Whell did they do this?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinO View Post
Just diffed the rootfs_md5_list files with cut md5 sums and was looking at the directory and saw it By that diff and judging by eye 5.1.2 vs 5.2.0 filelist matches quite substantially (md5 sums are different ofcourse).
Differences in the md5sum (or any hash sum) of the file does not indicate functional differences.
Files contain things that will depend on build date and compiler used.

There are various ways to check if two files have the same code (which still leaves open the question of different code that is functionally the same).

Perhaps the simplest is to use objdump -O binary -J .text ....
Other options as desired, and then compare the resultant binary.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I'm just wondering - WHY ON EARTH are they doing that?! They are effectively slowing down the device for no reason: Extracting the files takes time, and accessing them through whichever method they chose will also take more time than directly reading them from the file system. The only reason for doing this would have been if the partition was too small to hold all of the files, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So again: Why the f^Whell did they do this?
It wouldn't necessarily be slower. Flash isn't too fast either, and the CPU is quite crafty. E.g. LZO compression might easily prove to be faster to read.

Then, when looking back at earlier firmware versions, I tend to not search for a global strategy with them. I guess they've got a handful of developers knowledgable enough for system integration jobs, who are always short on time and who have a zoo of come-and-go devels at hand and in the end they must live with what the latter came up with. The whole firmware looks a bit sketchy and assembled from lots of bits and pieces with no clear overall picture. Compare e.g. with Android based firmware - but in the proprietary parts, these tend to get messy, too.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

I'm just wondering - WHY ON EARTH are they doing that?!
Only on the first access after a re-boot.
And Kindles very rarely (in the hands of common end-users) re-boot.

After that first access after a re-boot, the fonts are "Hot" in the VFS cache (present in fast RAM).
Which, of course, is also true if the fonts had been read from flash rather than read from a file system in a file that was read from flash.

The only stone I can think to throw at lab126 is that they did not use squashFS but instead used the very old cramFS.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The only stone I can think to throw at lab126 is that they did not use squashFS but instead used the very old cramFS.
I was waiting for you to say that
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I finally finished my exams, and am debricking my touch...
Before I do, I would be glade to do some CRAZY experiments on it. Anyone interested?
(I'm going out of station on 17'th so I guess that's the latest)
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I finally finished my exams, and am debricking my touch...
Before I do, I would be glade to do some CRAZY experiments on it. Anyone interested?
(I'm going out of station on 17'th so I guess that's the latest)
Here is a thread with an experiment nobody has documented for a kindle yet:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103378

Anybody want to try that on their new Paperwhite? Or even a K5?

geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote