Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Halcyon
Halcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook + Calibre + Mathematical PDF's = Baldness

I am taking Physics 2 this semester (along with calc 3, statics, materials engineering, and Fortran), and am trying to get the process figured out while I wait for disability services to produce the PDF's for all of my books this semester.

I have found a free book here (http://www.anselm.edu/internet/physi...wnloadsII.html) that I have been trying to format with Calibre to actually be viewable. But I have been completely unsuccessful with it.

I'm an Aerospace Engineering major. The fact that the Nook uses metadata instead of reading the pdf is infuriating, but I've already bought it and I otherwise love it. Since my eBooks for school are going to be shipped to me in PDF form, I'm in for a wild ride, I guess you could say... of infuriation.

I need to nip this in the bud pretty quick so I can get it figured out so that I can make it all go when I get them.

Do I need to transfer the document (original) into a PDF or an Epub? I'm not even sure what format the nook prefers!

Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm getting one or the other.
Either the text is formatted correctly and the mathematical functions are all split into different lines and incomprehensible, or the text is formatted incorrectly and that mathematical functions are all split into different lines and are incomprehensible.

I'm running out of hair to pull out.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That type of PDF is unlikely to produce any sort of sensible ouput if you try and convert it to another ebook format. Therefore unless you can get it in another epub format in the first place I would not spend much effort on trying to convert it.

As to how well the Nook handles the PDF and how you will use a PDF that is probably formatted for a much larger screen size I am not sure.

Not sure what you mean that by saying Nook using Metadata is an issue. That only applies to things like author, title, etc and PDF's contain the same types of metadata.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, mathematics, nook, page breaks