Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I'd like a dictionary

One of the neat features of the Rocket eBook was a free dictionary to download. Then you could highlight any word and click on "Lookup" and get the definition in a box.

I realize the Reader can't do that, but it would be nice if they would make a dictionary available, even if had to buy it. It would really be handy, but I don't quite know how you could use one. If, like the Rocket eBook they had a "Find" feature, then it would work.

I guess you could use the buttons to get close to the wanted word, then do the 10-pages-at-a-time forward or back, then page to the definition wanted.

How I miss that old eBook!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
One of the neat features of the Rocket eBook was a free dictionary to download. Then you could highlight any word and click on "Lookup" and get the definition in a box.

I realize the Reader can't do that, but it would be nice if they would make a dictionary available, even if had to buy it. It would really be handy, but I don't quite know how you could use one. If, like the Rocket eBook they had a "Find" feature, then it would work.

I guess you could use the buttons to get close to the wanted word, then do the 10-pages-at-a-time forward or back, then page to the definition wanted.

How I miss that old eBook!
A better option would be a key-sequence (or button) that would turn the dictionary on; e.g. Turn 0 into a "Function" key so that advanced users can then hit one of the other 9 buttons to perform a certain function. Dictionary look-up could be one of these, especially with some text input options. But all this requires a rather significant firmware upgrade :-)

A better option for a dictionary might be a "character tree" implementation of an index; the first page would let you choose the first letter of the word, the second page would let you choose the second letter, etc. It narrows down the number of options pretty quickly, especially if you only have the options for words that are in the dictionary.

If someone is interested in seeing what I mean, I'd be happy to take a shot at creating such a .pdf document (with the character-tree TOC) if you can point me to a free on-line dictionary to play with.

Might be too many joy-stick presses to get to the right letter, though....
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert