Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
950 Battery life?

My new 950 gets charged each day. The battery icon shows all bars full.
After less than two hours of reading, the battery bars are down by one.
After 4-6 hours, there's one bar showing.
Is this normal?
Do I have a defective battery?
BestBuy says I've until the end of January to return it.
Others' battery use experience?
Thanks
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Sonics99
Sonics99 doesn't litterSonics99 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader Daily 950
Do you have wifi/3G on? Are you reading ePub files or PDF files? PDF uses more battery as far as I know and also things like images effect that too. If you are using a memory card it uses more an if the card is really full or a larger card.
Sonics99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Tieton

Wifi and 3G are both off. Rarely in use, always off when not in use.
All ePubs. No PDFs at all.
I do have a memory card, 8GB: could that be the problem? It has less than a GB of data on it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you are just reading, then you should be getting days and not hours of battery life. Do you have music playing? Are you constantly checking Wikipedia? Are you using the browser lots? Do you have wireless standby turned on in settings? I also usually keep Wi-fi on but 3G off to help with battery life.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try without the memory card. The amount of power drawn by a memory card varies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I read 2-3 hours per day, wifi and 3g always on, I charge my device about once a week.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I bought a 950 Nov. 20th. I fully charged it on the day of purchase, using the included usb/ac adapter. It's now Dec. 1st, and it's on three bars. I have an 8 gig SD card in it (the same one I was using with my 600), and it is 1/3 full. I keep wifi and 3G off.

However, the longest I have gotten to read on it at one time has been ~2 hours. IMHO and from my own experience, you should be getting much longer battery life.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Tieton

In Settings;
Mobile Network is OFF
Wi-Fi is ON
Wireless Standby is ON
Standby Screen is OFF
Power Management is ON
I never listen to music on the Sony
I use the wifi/3g only when plugged into the wall wart power source. I turn off wifi/3g when I'm done using the hardware switch.
I'll try putting a few books into RAM from the SD card and remove the SD card.
Why having the SD card in should drain the battery is beyond me: it's nonvolatile memory.
Thanks for the suggestions: I especially appreciate hearing from you who have had extensive battery life: my guess is that things are not right with my particular device.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Sonics99
Sonics99 doesn't litterSonics99 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader Daily 950
It sounds like it just might be defective. I have heard that different memory cards drain differently but am not entirely sure why. If you turn to the spec page in the manual it gives the spec for battery life, explains the condition that time was met under and the variables that can cause it to fluctuate.
Sonics99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
That's the same issue that I ran into in Dec of 2007 when I bought my PRS-505. Everyone on this site was writing about how they get about 2 weeks of battery life and I could barely make it to 2 days. I returned it as defective and got a new one and that fixed the issue. So it does happen and you definitely got a defective 950. I would return it ASAP.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieton View Post
My new 950 gets charged each day. The battery icon shows all bars full.
After less than two hours of reading, the battery bars are down by one.
After 4-6 hours, there's one bar showing.
Is this normal?
Do I have a defective battery?
BestBuy says I've until the end of January to return it.
Others' battery use experience?
Thanks
It sounds like your device is defective. I did have that problem with the original PRS900 I bought. I ended up replacing the battery and the problem went away.

But before you go through the replacement process, make sure your wifi and 3g are off and then see how much battery time you get. Sometimes, the connection does not go into standby (it happened to me on the PRS950 one day when it was constantly trying to download a corrupted file - an issue of the Financial Times) and, if that's the case, your battery could drain in as little as 4-6 hours, as you describe.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
benong
Enthusiast
benong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-950
PRS-950 Battery Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
It sounds like your device is defective. I did have that problem with the original PRS900 I bought. I ended up replacing the battery and the problem went away.

But before you go through the replacement process, make sure your wifi and 3g are off and then see how much battery time you get. Sometimes, the connection does not go into standby (it happened to me on the PRS950 one day when it was constantly trying to download a corrupted file - an issue of the Financial Times) and, if that's the case, your battery could drain in as little as 4-6 hours, as you describe.
You mentioned above about replacing the PRS-900 battery. Any ideal where to obtain 950 battery? I have been hunting for the source for the 950 battery but no luck so far. This information will be of great help to owners of 950 since it has been in the market for over 3 years.

Last edited by benong; 01-01-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong model
benong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I just saw this battery on the Bay. Has anyone tried it in the 950?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380900233862...84.m1423.l2649
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It looks exactly the same as the battery sold by NewPower99. NewPower99 is more expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I wonder if Tieton ever got his 950 replaced?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote