Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
levon
levon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
screen problem (ghosting) & quality control - any suggestions?

Hello,

Last weekend I bought a new Nook Simple Touch (NO glowlight model) and its screen doesn't seem to completely clear between subsequent screens, at least it takes a long'ish time.

For instance, when I unlock it, I can see some ghosting from the screen saver and the NOOK (from the "drag to unlock your NOOK" message) lingering/showing through on the home screen (like you would have "burn in" on the old-style computer monitors). Also, when I push the Nook button and the menu appears at the bottom of the screen, I can see the outline of the shop button between the two book covers displayed when I'm back at the home screen.

I double-pressed the Nook key to refresh the screen, but that's not really fixing this.

I already exchanged it once at Target, but this one isn't any better.

I currently have another Nook at home (same model borrowed from the Oak Park, IL, public library) and it doesn't exhibit any of these problems. The screen seems totally opaque, ie it completely overlays what was there before.

I compare both nooks side by side under the same lighting conditions and screens. I want a Nook with a screen like the one from the public library because using it convinced me to buy one in the first place - is there something I can do?

The problem is that I can't really examine a Nook at the store, I have to exchange it, bring it home, charge it and only then I know if it's any good. I am not sure how often I want, nor how often Target will let me exchange them. So far I've only done it once.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would driving up to a B&N get me any more help? (I'd be willing to make the drive if it did). I really love the simple design of this eReader, and *knowing* the screen could be better, I really want the same quality screen as the one I have borrowed form the library.

Thanks, I'm hoping someone can help.
levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
levon, welcome to MobileRead. I am sorry to hear of your problems. That does not sound like normal ghosting! Since you bought two Nooks at the same store and they both have the same issue, it could be that they were both part of a bad quality batch. Or, I have another theory. I wonder if you have the older firmware. You can check under Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook. It will tell you the software version. The current version is 1.2.0. I think it was 1.1.0 that fixed significant issues with ghosting and fonts. I would recommend that you update the firmware to the latest version and then see how it looks. You can find instructions on how to update on the B&N support pages at this link.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
levon
levon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
levon, welcome to MobileRead. I am sorry to hear of your problems. That does not sound like normal ghosting! Since you bought two Nooks at the same store and they both have the same issue, it could be that they were both part of a bad quality batch.
Hi .. thank you for your post (and welcome).

Yes, I was wondering about that. Might be worth driving to a different Target for the next exchange on the off-chance that this might be it.

Quote:
Or, I have another theory. I wonder if you have the older firmware. You can check under Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook. It will tell you the software version. The current version is 1.2.0. I think it was 1.1.0 that fixed significant issues with ghosting and fonts. I would recommend that you update the firmware to the latest version and then see how it looks.
Already tried that (I'm a computer scientists, so the inner nerd in me looked for this possibility right away ) but it didn't help (good suggestion though).

I also recently got my first tablet (Nexus 7), but I really like the Nook for its simplicity and single purpose and would much prefer reading on it without any distractions - I favor minimalism. So I really want to this to work out badly. If I could secretly swap screens between the new one and the one from the public library (which is used of course) I'd do it

Hopefully exchanging it at a different Target will help - otherwise I'm not sure how to proceed.
levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
One thing you might try is to buy a refurbished Touch. You'd be pretty much guaranteed to get one from a different "batch." They used to have them in the Barnes and Noble store under Ebay, but right now they only seem to have new ones. There are several in the regular auction area described as "manufacturer refurbished," but it's hard to tell if they are "new" refurb units or used. Anyway, you could do some searching online or maybe someone else on this forum knows where to get a new refurb quickly?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghosting, screen issues, simple touch