Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Sarsnake
Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Newb here - please help me find my first e-reader

Hi everyone,

I am in the midst of deciding what e-reader to purchase.
What I need is:
- I have a bunch of fb2 books that I would like to read, these however can be converted to ePub format (I know most e-reader don't support FB2).
- Ideally I would like the reader to be able to have a USB connection so I can move the books over from my PC/USB hard drive
- Looking for something simple to use, no frills.
- Can be read easily in outside lighting
- have good battery life

What would be the e-reader to satisfy these requirements? I looked at few options and it seems that this is somewhat unachievable w/o tinkering with the device and rooting/hacking it, which I would rather not do.....

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sarsnake; 08-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Sarsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why do you think that your requirements require hacking? Lots of ereaders read ePub format, and have a USB connection. All e-ink screens are easy to read in outside lighting, and most have a good battery life.

A Sony or a Nook would work for you.

If you weren't restricted to ePub, I'd recommend a Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Sarsnake
Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why do you think that your requirements require hacking? Lots of ereaders read ePub format, and have a USB connection. All e-ink screens are easy to read in outside lighting, and most have a good battery life.

A Sony or a Nook would work for you.

If you weren't restricted to ePub, I'd recommend a Kindle.
thanks; someone told me that Nook won't read books that were not purchased through B&N unless hacked. But it seems to be wrong.
I am not limited to ePub. All my books are now in FB2, so if I can convert them to Kindle format (not sure whether I can), then I can use Kindle.

Why would you recommend Kindle over Nook?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsnake View Post
thanks; someone told me that Nook won't read books that were not purchased through B&N unless hacked. But it seems to be wrong.
I am not limited to ePub. All my books are now in FB2, so if I can convert them to Kindle format (not sure whether I can), then I can use Kindle.

You can purchase eBooks in ePub that do not come from B&N. The nook supports B&N's flavor of DRM and the standard Adobe Adept DRM that everyone else supports. So buying ePub from say Sony or Kobo will work just fine with your nook.

Now, if your FB2 have no DRM, you should be able to convert to ePub using Calibre. The advantage of ePub is that you can then use Sigil to edit the ePub if you need to tweak things after the conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle is great because of the seamless experience of buying from Amazon, and the great customer service. Amazon's store contains just about everything available in ebook format, but you can also buy from Smashwords, Baen, and Fictionwise, if you want.

Kindle is just a great ecosystem. You can convert fb2 to mobi format with Calibre, I believe.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Sarsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Kindle is great because of the seamless experience of buying from Amazon, and the great customer service. Amazon's store contains just about everything available in ebook format, but you can also buy from Smashwords, Baen, and Fictionwise, if you want.

Kindle is just a great ecosystem. You can convert fb2 to mobi format with Calibre, I believe.
Oh I see. This is not important to me as I don't intend to purchase books in Amazon. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Sarsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can purchase eBooks in ePub that do not come from B&N. The nook supports B&N's flavor of DRM and the standard Adobe Adept DRM that everyone else supports. So buying ePub from say Sony or Kobo will work just fine with your nook.

Now, if your FB2 have no DRM, you should be able to convert to ePub using Calibre. The advantage of ePub is that you can then use Sigil to edit the ePub if you need to tweak things after the conversion.
got it, thanks

Last edited by Sarsnake; 08-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsnake View Post
I would recommend any of the other eink readers over Nook, because you are located in Canada and a Nook can only be bought in the US. If you want to use ePub format then a Kobo reader would be your cheapest option.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Sarsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I would recommend any of the other eink readers over Nook, because you are located in Canada and a Nook can only be bought in the US. If you want to use ePub format then a Kobo reader would be your cheapest option.
Not an issue. I live by the border, and go to the states all the time. I can swing by B&N or have it delivered to my mail box in WA.

And I don't intend to buy books from B&N, which is why I was wondering if I can open my existing ePubs (currently on my PC).

Will look into Kobo - haven't heard much about it.
In any case I actually intend on buying the reader (whichever I go with) in the US.
Looks like right now I am going with Nook, as it seems to be able to do what I need it to do.

Last edited by Sarsnake; 08-17-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Sarsnake, the jetbook Lite will be three years old in October, although its firmware has been updated. Newegg now has it for $56.95 with free shipping.

It reads fb2, so you won't need to convert what you have. It also reads ePub, mobi and many other formats.

I'm a very satisfied customer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I bought my Kobo in the states because BestBuy.com had a special, but I was able to set it up for use on the Canadian store with my Canadian credit card in Canadian dollars with is nice. Device is great.

My dad bought a Nook simply glow but he's stuck spending in US dollars.

When I looked the Nook had the advantage of an available glowscreen, but that was also a lot more money (vs. a simply booklight which works as well). Otherwise the Kobo just seemed more elegantly designed, and had far more options in terms of text display (although I've been told you can root the Nook and install a better reading app than the firmware default)
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've read lots of epubs from the library and from free ebook sites on my Nook. No problems at all with getting them on my Nook and reading them. I love my Nook Simple Touch. I got mine before the glowscreen came out. I don't read in bed often but I do sometimes read in slightly low light. I just turn on the light, but I guess the glow light could be helpful for me.

Anyway, the Nook is a great e-reader IMO if you're leaning that way.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote