Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Very simple guide to reading newspapers on the kindle, please? :)

Dear Forists,

I know this information is here, and I must have come across it many times already in my attempt to understand. Why I still ask? Because I am rather lost with all the formulations. So please bear with someone that is about to receive his first mobile device and suddenly has to deal with all of this.

I wish to grab a copy of my favorite newspapers to read, say, on the way to work. I do not want to subscribe to them (as in, free, please). Instead I just wish to read on the Kindle what I would usually read uncomfortably behind my computer screen. Can I do this from the Kindle itself in a way that I can access the newspapers after I break the Wifi-conncetion? Or do I need to transfer it from the computer? If the later is true, how do I, well, get a copy of the newspaper in the first place?

I know this question is easily answerable for anyone that has a bit better grasp of the terminology than this out-of-touch questioner
Thank you very much.

Cheers
Pismire
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
In order to read a newspaper on the Kindle, you have to download it. If the newspaper has a web site that will allow that, then fine. Otherwise, you will have to subscribe to it, or buy individual issues, and download them to your Kindle. Most newspapers won't allow you to download a whole newspaper. They'd be losing money if they did that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dear Susan,

thank you - in fact I want to read only the content that is made available online and free as it is, over the newspaper webpage. Now you said I have to download the newspaper - how would I go about doing that when reading, say, the new york times?

Best,
Pismire.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismire View Post
Dear Susan,

thank you - in fact I want to read only the content that is made available online and free as it is, over the newspaper webpage. [...]
Often you will find somebody has written a recipe for calibre to download the files and convert them to mobi.

cu andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It depends on the web site. If they have a link somewhere that says "click to download", then you're good (as long as the format is something Kindle-compatible). Otherwise, you are going to have to download web pages individually (via the browser), and use a tool like Calibre to convert it to Kindle format. If there are graphics, etc., it could be a real pain to create everything the way it needs to be to convert to .mobi format.

Edited to add: yes, check out the Calibre recipes. That could help tremendously.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Using the News Fetch feature of the free ebook library program calibre you can download newspapers manually or on a schedule and you can even configure calibre to automatically email them directly to your Kindle. You can find more information in the calibre area of the forum and here is some basic information: http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2011/1...-fetching.html
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.

I just had a closer look at calibre and have to say I am amazed. Thank you very much for pointing it out for me. This fully answers all my questions.

Best,
Pismire
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Revolutionarybum
Revolutionarybum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you just want to read certain articles rather than the entire paper from to back theres a cool little application i use called Kindle Blast. Just highlight the part you want and drag it to KB's icon (with your kindle plugged into your comp) and thats it. works great. Only draw back the developer isn't upgrading it anymore but as it is it does what I want without all the other hassles.
Revolutionarybum is offline   Reply With Quote