Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo
I think I might need to reinstall

Since the latest update, Calibre doesn't seem aware that I have connected my Kobo reader. No button to "Send to Device" visible nor can I bring it up by removing and re-adding it in the Preferences. Similarly, there is also no Eject button. (Yes, I've restarted and even rebooted as I've been wrestling this problem for a couple of days. Seems to be totally oblivious to the reader being attached although my computer acknowledges it through plug and play.

Had to load books by sending to device via Win Explorer.

I'm guessing something went wrong when I installed the upgrade. I need to reinstall and would probably be best if I totally uninstalled with Revo and started from scratch. What I'm concerned about are my Calibre libraries also being removed when I uninstall. Is this likely to happen?

TIA,

Dale
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Your libraries will be fine. What is far more likely to be the problem is something else environmental with your PC than a reinstall though. Make sure you have no other devices of any kind (phones, iPads etc) plugged in at the same time. Try a different USB port. Try a different USB cable. Just because Windows detects the device does not mean that it is sufficiently recognisable.

For instance my Kindle (well, before I squashed it) shows up in Windows, but cannot be seen by Calibre unless my HTC phone is unplugged from USB.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Thanks for the reply and reassurance about the libraries Kiwi. I think I will have to go the new install route though.

Nothing else plugged in. Even unplugged the backup drive. Nothing charging either. I have a 12vDC to 240 vAC wall transformer to charge the Kobo but it did top itself up while I was fiddling trying to load the books and knew it was plugged in to the computer okay. Not the Kobos fault.

The USB cable seems okay as I can use the same one for one of my cameras with no data loss occuring. It also has no hassles adding or subtracting pics to my digital photoframe which I use for art references when painting and that is a complete heap of junk! I tried both of these before posting here, just to check the USB cord. The cord is brand new, so hasn't been jammed in a draw or tripped over yet. (And, to save you some typing, I am aware that they can be new and faulty). I have a couple of new USB cords on their way from Hong Kong, but heavens knows when they will arrive as things I ordered are coming in dribs and drabs one or two items per parcel.

Live in the sticks, so can't just walk in to the local shop and buy a new USB cord with the micro fitting on one end.

Just remembered that the last thing I used to transfer from Calibre, was the neighbor's Kindle, which Calibre immediately recognised much to my astonishment. I wonder if it is still somehow stuck in Kindle mode and ignoring the Kobo? This was before the latest update though.

Dale
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre does not normally remember the last reader attached.

Did you happen to adjust the enable settings for individual device drivers in preferences.

Big question
How (what mode) does W7 recognize the Kobo? Is it something other than a disk drive?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
dmcd
Enthusiast

Windows (XP Pro) throws up the media popup window headed Kobo Reader (F:) [please ignore the smiley. I used a colon and closed the bracket and I'm stuck with a smiley!] with options to choose what I want to do. Therefore it is recognising it as a drive named Kobo Reader which it has also done in the past before this non-recognition problem. Nothing seems to have changed with this end of things.

Zentimo also recognises it as Kobo ereader USB device via the plug and play but not as a storage device which it usually labels external drives - this too is the same as before when Calibre was seeing my reader.

Now, hands on heart, I cannot say that I did not adjust the enable settings for individual device drivers in Preferences, but I can't recall doing so. No telling what I've done when I'm in a snit trying to get something to work. I tried to find where you do adjust them just now, and cannot find anywhere to do this. This might be the answer. Where please can I find the place where I mess with the drivers?

Thanks a lot for trying to help.

Dale

Last edited by theducks; 02-13-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: tried to remove smiley.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

smiles are disabled on the advanced view (below the first Submit) I used my magic Mod hat and set that for you

You might want to set that (Kobo) popup to 'Do Nothing' for All file types, just to be rid of it

You don't have another reader/Phone plugged in when this happens? Calibre can't deal with 2 detected devices at the same time

Or did you happen to set 'Connect to folder'?

OK
Time to look at the device driver plugin.
Preferences: Plugins: hunt for) Device Interface... : Kobo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboDriver.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	82557  
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
dmcd
Enthusiast

Fixed!!!! Bless you little bones Ducky.

I went to the plugins folder as you suggested and found the Kobo reader plugin greyed out - the only one in the whole devices list that was greyed out. I enabled it, restarted Calibre with my Kobo plugged in and the Send to Device and Eject Device options are back.

I did not disable this plugin option. Never been near the device plugins before in my life. Actually surprised at how many there were. Something disabled it though and the only thing I can think of is that the neighbour's Kindle did so when I plugged it in.

Thanks too for the smilie magic.

Thanks a lot Kiwi and Ducky for your help.

Dale
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Plugging in a device never disables a plugin. The only way to so is via the Preferences sub-system. Quite how this could have happened if you never went to that part of Preferences is not clear.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I wonder if this was a 'replaced?' user profile (in the configuration directory)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
dmcd
Enthusiast

No idea Ducky. I could have done something silly there, but I doubt it because I wouldn't know where to find the User Profile to replace it.

Anyway, all is now working sweetly and with this newest upgrade my freezing and crashing problems have disappeared too.

Now back to sorting over 30,000 books! Only 29,500 or so to go.

Cheers,

Dale
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
No idea Ducky. I could have done something silly there, but I doubt it because I wouldn't know where to find the User Profile to replace it.

Cheers,

Dale
Go to Preferences: Miscellaneous: Click the button

Now you know

Tags
eject missing, send to device missing