Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #106
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Vereya, I suggest you follow what lioslaith says in this post to your thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...58&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Aldiko Be sure to use the email link on your right and in the message after you press Grab It (you don't need to use a real email as it always shows an error message) press the HERE word for direct download of the app.

For Opera use the direct URL of http://m.opera.com/ for quick easy install direct from your Vox.

Last edited by Jesslynne; 01-09-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #107
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vereya View Post
I've tried, but every time I get the message "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account" and I can't continue from there. Then someone suggested to go this way. That's why I've been trying to do it. I'm not too crazy about it either and it's also above my skills level anyway, but I got the impression that this is the best way.
google to the rescue again:
http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/android/mobile/1150
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #108
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
problem!

I have a rooted vox and i followed all the steps (the newer ones) to install the google market. Everything went smoothly and after I rebooted, the android setup/installer came on like they do when you get a new phone. I was a little surprised as this part wasn't actually in the steps outlined. But I went along and followed the instructions but on the second part where it says press the android icon to continue, when I press it the system doesn't respond. I can't exit out of it either by pressing home screen or anything. Did anyone else have this problem?

P.s. my vox seems to boot alright, along the top I can see it connect to wifi and everything ...
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #109
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aycn602 View Post
problem!

I have a rooted vox and i followed all the steps (the newer ones) to install the google market. Everything went smoothly and after I rebooted, the android setup/installer came on like they do when you get a new phone. I was a little surprised as this part wasn't actually in the steps outlined. But I went along and followed the instructions but on the second part where it says press the android icon to continue, when I press it the system doesn't respond. I can't exit out of it either by pressing home screen or anything. Did anyone else have this problem?

P.s. my vox seems to boot alright, along the top I can see it connect to wifi and everything ...
You copied one too many files... Somehow you need to go ahead and delete the file called "SetupWizard.apk". The file is in /system/app. Go ahead and remove that file, then restart your Kobo and everything should work alright.

I experienced the same issue in the past, but I had an ADB connection so was able to remove the file. If I remember correctly, you can also get into a web browser by using the Kobo menu and going to help... so that should give you some sort of hope
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #110
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
You copied one too many files... Somehow you need to go ahead and delete the file called "SetupWizard.apk". The file is in /system/app. Go ahead and remove that file, then restart your Kobo and everything should work alright.

I experienced the same issue in the past, but I had an ADB connection so was able to remove the file. If I remember correctly, you can also get into a web browser by using the Kobo menu and going to help... so that should give you some sort of hope
How do I set up an adb connection? And can u think of any ideas of how I can get access to es explorer?
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #111
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by aycn602 View Post
How do I set up an adb connection?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=adb
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #112
Vereya
Vereya began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranq View Post
Thank you "terranq". It works like a charm.
Vereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #113
radar1972
radar1972 began at the beginning.

Can not get to copy and paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Those were the original instructions, use the following now:

1) Update - The update broke my functioning Google Market and my root
2) Once the Kobo app setup has finished running (if it is required, I don't remember at this point) go to menu -> settings -> applications. Ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging".
3) Download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk (can be googled), once Gingerbreak is installed click on the "root device". Kobo will restart 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and you will see a SuperUser (with a green pirate-sort of looking icon) in the programs menu once it has sucessfully installed.
4) I did a factory reset on my device at this point (this may or may not be required, but since I had google market on there last time the system and the data was messed up so that was the solution)To perform factory default (Hold VOL UP and PWR) then finished the Kobo setup wizard.
5) I downloaded and extracted gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the cyanogenmod website and put it on my Kobo's external SD card.
6) Download and install File Expert - http://www.xageek.com/en/
7) Open File Expert, menu button -> more -> settings -> File Explorer Settings -> Tick Root Explorer. SuperUser window will appear, say allow.
8) Copied the following files to /system/app using File Expert (had to mount /system as Read Write first: use File Expert -> menu button -> Mount -> Mount as Read Write):
GenieWidget.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Vending.apk
9) Set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read + write, group read, everyone read) on each one of the files listed in step 8. This step is VERY important!
10) Changed the ownership to 0/0 (root/root) on each of those files listed in step 8. (I think this step might be optional)
11) Shut down kobo and restart it (in order for the new system files to appear the system needs to be restarted).
12) Went into accounts and added my google account just as I would on any normal android device.
13) Launched market and installed gmail and youtube!

I have tried all of this step by step. When I get to the part were I want to copy the files it says "operation failed". It will not let me move the files from my exsd card to the system/app folder. When I am at the system folder I Mount as read write still does not work. Am I doing something wrong? Seems fairly straight forward unless I am missing a step. I have the most recent update for my kobo vox and I have never had google market on it.
radar1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #114
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

I'm noticing a NUMBER of top apps are listed as incompatible with the Kobo Vox. I'm actually looking into this, it might be due to the fact that this device is not certified by Google... There might be some workarounds, I will let everyone know once I have more information.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #115
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar1972 View Post
I have tried all of this step by step. When I get to the part were I want to copy the files it says "operation failed". It will not let me move the files from my exsd card to the system/app folder. When I am at the system folder I Mount as read write still does not work. Am I doing something wrong? Seems fairly straight forward unless I am missing a step. I have the most recent update for my kobo vox and I have never had google market on it.

Same!!! Getting exactly that message after the files appear to cycle through the copy process with the status bar. I have done everything in the post several times, it just won't get past the "operation failed".
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #116
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Use ES File Explorer instead of File Expert (danifunker has said there is currently a bug in FE).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #117
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Use ES File Explorer instead of File Expert (danifunker has said there is currently a bug in FE).

Guilty of not having read all those posts all the way through! Thanks for the tip, it now works!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #118
Cdesja5
Wizard

Where is the app I just got from the Market? It said it would download to my "phone" but I'm not sure where to find it...or did it download at all?
Never mind! Installed so quickly didn't see anything happen...they're there...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-17-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #119
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Guilty of not having read all those posts all the way through! Thanks for the tip, it now works!!!
Thanks for pointing that out, I've made adjustments to the first post in the thread.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #120
muskiestallker
muskiestallker began at the beginning.

I have copied the files using ES File Explorer. How do I set the permissions to 644? I am new to all of this and could use the help. Thanks.
muskiestallker is offline   Reply With Quote