Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Dawgmatix
Dawgmatix began at the beginning.

Device: none
When will 2010 versions be released

Kindle just released their refresh for this year with the graphite kindles. Any idea on when the Sony refresh is due? I am particularly looking for at the Sony 900 equivalent for this year.
Dawgmatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Sony's new models are typically announced around Sept/Oct each year.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
you might want to read this post and its comments:

http://www.teleread.com/2010/08/12/s...fore-art-thou/
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
you might want to read this post and its comments:

http://www.teleread.com/2010/08/12/s...fore-art-thou/
I agree that a commitment to existing Sony readers would go a long way in keeping any customer loyalty.
Quote:
First, is put out a firmware update for all of its already sold and available devices that updates the ePub DRM schema. Sony owners need to know that Sony is not asleep and that it is committed to the ePub standard and the way to do this is to release an update that will allow Sony owners to access the B&N ebookstore without stripping DRM.
...and allow right justification of text.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
... and a DICTIONARY for the PRS-700!

Hello Sony! If anyone is out there, I'm still waiting... and hoping... and waiting... and dreaming... and waiting... and growing impatient...
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
350 and 650 models coming "soon".

Quote:
The two new Sony Reader devices will be very attractively priced, and are definitely much more compact and lighter than previous models with a possible width under 10mm (extremely thin). From what we’re hearing the new models will also have improved contrast and faster page turns. The PRS-650 will have a six inch screen while the PRS-350 will have a five inch screen. There will also be a bump in capacity from the usual 512MB or less found in currently Sony Reader models to 2GB of internal storage. We are not sure if that capacity bump extends to both devices, but will most certainly be true for the PRS-650. We also know that the PRS-650 will have Wi-Fi (and possibly free 3G), while the PRS-350 will not have any wireless connectivity (like the PRS-300).

As for the software side of things, the Sony Reader UI in both devices has been revised with a new home interface, and the note-taking software (found in the PRS-600) will trickle down and now be available in the PRS-350 as well. Battery life will probably be the same as previous models at nearly two weeks (or perhaps a bit higher), and other features such as USB 2.0 and Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, BBeB Book, ePub/ACS4 and Adobe Digital Edition format compatibility will return. As for aesthetics, we see that the same colors as before should be available for both series.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
It's good to have news - but that's also disappointing. I was hoping SONY would release a large-screen reader to compete with the Kindle DX. I want a large screen touchscreen device so I can read and annotate PDFs - and I was hoping SONY was going in that direction.

Too bad...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Me too

I want a Sony DXG
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would take that article with a grain of salt. Sounds like more speculation than anything. If Sony is going to release a 650 with WiFi and/or 3G it will have to be approved by the FCC and the last time I checked they had no new reader devices submitted to the FCC.

And if Sony is going to introduce two more touch screen models, they will effectively place themselves out of the competition. The touchscreen technology Sony uses is terrible for reading. Unless these touchscreens are completely redesigned so as to cause no added glare and reflection, which is unlikely, they will not find a large market. I kept my 300 and got rid of my 600 and 900 because I got eye distress after reading the on the latter two for more than 10 minutes. The touchscreen is convenient for highlighting etc., but I find that my Kindle is much easier on the eyes and I can select text almost as fast with it as on the Sony touchscreens. E-Ink screens are not fast enough in refreshing to make a touchscreen usable IMO as there is too much lag time. Plus having to use a stylus is a pain and I had to use a stylus because fingers don't work well on Sony touchscreens.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-13-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I would take that article with a grain of salt. Sounds like more speculation than anything. If Sony is going to release a 650 with WiFi and/or 3G it will have to be approved by the FCC and the last time I checked they had no new reader devices submitted to the FCC.

And if Sony is going to introduce two more touch screen models, they will effectively place themselves out of the competition. The touchscreen technology Sony uses is terrible for reading. Unless these touchscreens are completely redesigned so as to cause no added glare and reflection, which is unlikely, they will not find a large market. I kept my 300 and got rid of my 600 and 900 because I got eye distress after reading the on the latter two for more than 10 minutes. The touchscreen is convenient for highlighting etc., but I find that my Kindle is much easier on the eyes and I can select text almost as fast with it as on the Sony touchscreens. E-Ink screens are not fast enough in refreshing to make a touchscreen usable IMO as there is too much lag time. Plus having to use a stylus is a pain and I had to use a stylus because fingers don't work well on Sony touchscreens.
I agree SONY's touchscreens are not the most readable e-ink devices... yet, depending on applications, you just might not have a choice.

Most of my reading is academic - mostly PDFs. If I cannot annotate (freehand) then it's useless to me. Now, I know, to each their own... but I want a large-screen touchscreen. Right now, the only one I know of is the iRex, but I have multiple reasons for not wanting that device.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I agree SONY's touchscreens are not the most readable e-ink devices... yet, depending on applications, you just might not have a choice.

Most of my reading is academic - mostly PDFs. If I cannot annotate (freehand) then it's useless to me. Now, I know, to each their own... but I want a large-screen touchscreen. Right now, the only one I know of is the iRex, but I have multiple reasons for not wanting that device.
The problem with touchscreens is they can either be glossy and let through the full clarity of the e-ink underneath or be matte and suppress unwanted reflections/glare. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

The only way to implement a pen input without a cover layer is to use something like Wacom's penabled technology, which uses electric fields to sense the pen, but that technology has the downside of dramatically higher energy drain. Not to mention dragging a stylus directly across the surface of an e-ink display is probably a bad idea.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

If Sony can pull out a 6" Reader with the screen quality of equal or better than PRS-505 and full touch screen, I am sold. 3G and wifi are not necessary, just make it simple, light and compact. Add a French dictionary and I don't mind paying $200. My bet on new Sony Readers this year is no glare touch screen. If Sony ever uses current touch screen technology, it'd be suicidal.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
The only way to implement a pen input without a cover layer is to use something like Wacom's penabled technology, which uses electric fields to sense the pen, but that technology has the downside of dramatically higher energy drain.
That's something of an exaggeration. I have a couple of different readers with Wacom screens. They use a little power, yet, but not enough to be noticeable compared to the power consumption of the rest of the device.

Quote:
Not to mention dragging a stylus directly across the surface of an e-ink display is probably a bad idea.
You're not doing. All reading devices have a thick plastic outer screen on top of the glass eInk display.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
It does suck that Sony seems to have their readers on the back shelf. It wouldn't cost them much to add a dictionary to the 505, more fonts, right justification, etc. Just enough to keep people interested Instead, the Kindle has those features, and got the jump on them with the Pearl screen.

The main aspect of the 505 that's keeping me in the Sony camp is the ability to slip it into the back pocket of my pants, even with the cover. So I'm holding out to see what Sony comes out with.

But their lack of updates does suck, and for those that have bags to carry their readers around, I don't see much reason not to get a Kindle instead. You have a huge bookseller behind your device where books is most of their business, instead of a device maker that could get out of the business any time.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
having read the article and the comments here i would like to add that any new sony device would have to be very very good for me to give up my 505.I have added the prs + hack and have a device that does exactly what i want it to do.
the major thing for me would be the touch screen .having borrowed a friends for an hour i just could not concentrate on the text because of the glare and reflection.sony would really need to fix this

cheers ,mick
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote