Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #16
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
This afternoon I have spent a long time uploading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

When I had finished I clicked preview and downloaded a PDF file of the book. I spot-checked this and went back to make a couple of corrections and then clicked "publish" but then the site sent me to an "error" page.

I re-logged in but now the book is in "edit" mode and the only option I can find is to delete it.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
This afternoon I have spent a long time uploading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

When I had finished I clicked preview and downloaded a PDF file of the book. I spot-checked this and went back to make a couple of corrections and then clicked "publish" but then the site sent me to an "error" page.

I re-logged in but now the book is in "edit" mode and the only option I can find is to delete it.
Yes, that's why we're beta testing the whole thing... Right now I've identified that most people don't really see the difference between sending a book that's in the public domain, and sending their own book. I'll change the UI to make it much easier to understand...
As for Alexandre Dumas and the Count of Monte Cristo... I can see that you added the author, but I don't see the book. Is the book in Public Domain Books, and edit mode when you click on "My books" ? If it's the case, clicking on the book name and then publish should do the trick. I'll also take a look to see why the Publish button could have a few problems...

Edit: Found the bug for the publish button with users and not admins... I'm changing the source code right now and I'll update everything.

Last edited by Hadrien; 01-01-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can see and open the complete book in edit mode.

But three times I clicked on "Publish" and each time I received the following error:

"Application error (Rails)"
Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I can see and open the complete book in edit mode.

But three times I clicked on "Publish" and each time I received the following error:

"Application error (Rails)"
Yes and I think I've found why, working right now on correcting the bug and making the "My books" page a bit better...
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #20
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Updated the website, did a few test and everything looks ok now.
I can see your book Moonraker, but I'll format it another way to make it looks better, so it should be up on the website tonight.
I'm going to do 2 more screencasts on this matter, this way it'll show the best way to add a book.

Edit: the book's online. Didn't took me quite long to reformat it the best possible way. Thank you for both the bug report and uploading such a classic ! The ability for anyone to upload their own works or public domain books is part of what makes the whole feedbooks experience.
http://beta.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/73

Last edited by Hadrien; 01-01-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #21
Moonraker
Addict

Thank you Hadrien. I have left a comment for you regarding the book.

I anticipate that the FeedBooks.com website is going to be very popular -- particularly for people who don't have time to format their own content.

I sure appreciate your time, effort and expertise.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Kudos on the new site! It looks very promising and from what has already been posted, it seems like is already fulfilling that promise. I can see that I will be a regular visitor once I'm done with the books I already have slated for reading.

It is websites like this that will keep ebook electronics valuable to their owners. Keep up the great work!
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:30 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This might also be useful for UMPC's, where a very popular screen size is 7-inch 800x480. I have tried custom sizes on my Pepper Pad 3 and 78x105 and 150x105 mm PDF's both work well using Adobe's acroread (inside FireFox).

Your web pages are generally designed for larger screens (both the navigation pages and the HTML books). Many sites work better than this with 800 pixels in width.

Most UMPC's run some variant of Windows, but the Pepper Pad is Linux, and in general spaces in filenames are a pain in Linux when using the command line. I suggest filenames like Author-TitleWithNoSpaces.pdf. The shorter filenames are probably helpful even under Windows. An alternative is to replace spaces with "_".

Finally, how about a bold font option?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #24
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
This might also be useful for UMPC's, where a very popular screen size is 7-inch 800x480. I have tried custom sizes on my Pepper Pad 3 and 78x105 and 150x105 mm PDF's both work well using Adobe's acroread (inside FireFox).

Your web pages are generally designed for larger screens (both the navigation pages and the HTML books). Many sites work better than this with 800 pixels in width.

Most UMPC's run some variant of Windows, but the Pepper Pad is Linux, and in general spaces in filenames are a pain in Linux when using the command line. I suggest filenames like Author-TitleWithNoSpaces.pdf. The shorter filenames are probably helpful even under Windows. An alternative is to replace spaces with "_".

Finally, how about a bold font option?
I'll change the way the file are named, it'll be much easier for Linux and BSD I agree.

As for a bold font option, it'll come in 2 flavors:
- the ability to have the whole book in bold when you generate a custom PDF
- the ability to make a specific word or sentence bold when you edit a book

It's true that our pages are not designed for a mobile device, if we don't find a better way to do this, we might create a mobile version of the website too, once we enter the final stage and not the beta anymore.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #25
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Excellent resource, is there any plan to offer up CreativeCommons licenced books along with books under Public Domain?
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #26
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Small bug when browsing the site:

If you select browsing with a filter (any one) when you go to the second page it loses your filter and you end up browsing by Book A-Z
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
Small bug when browsing the site:

If you select browsing with a filter (any one) when you go to the second page it loses your filter and you end up browsing by Book A-Z
Ok, thank you for spotting this one ! We'll correct it...
As for Creative Common, anyone can send their own work on the second part of the website (Share), so you can release it under a CC licence and publish it on Feedbooks.

Edit: No more bug with the filters + pages

Last edited by Hadrien; 01-05-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

So, we're still working on the newspaper part of the website, and the support for russian, japanese and chinese is almost ready... (support for math formulas, footnotes, verbatim for those of you writing or reading tech books is on the way too)

But I'd like to have some feedback about how the books look for those using the Sony Reader and iRex iLiad, in order to improve the templates for these devices. Do you like the font, the font size ? Would it be better to have the text in bold for the whole book ? Is the margin size right for you ?
We'll try to adapt these templates as soon as we have enough feedback on the matter.

Edit: Added 2 PDFs files for the Sony Reader. I'd like to change the default font size to 14. Take a look at the new one and the old one to see the difference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gissing - New Grub Street (new).pdf (1.79 MB, 652 views)
File Type: pdf Gissing - New Grub Street (old).pdf (1.62 MB, 508 views)

Last edited by Hadrien; 01-09-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
LockeCole
LockeCole began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Wow, this site is great. I finished adding my first book, very easy. My only suggestion would be to allow for adding things further up the list. For example, if you forget a chapter, you have to remove all of the chapters you added after that one to fix it. Some way to choose where to place a chapter/part/etc would be helpful.

I also had a problem adding text.For example, I had finished a chapter, clicked ok, it was saving. I moved on after it was taking a while and when I checked a few chapters later, it was still 'saving'. I had that happen once. I don't think I did anything different then I did before or after that. It may have just been a net error of some sort, but I thought I'd mention it regardless.

I love the site and plan to help build it up as much as I can. Thank you so much for this service.

Locke
LockeCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If there can be only one choice for the Sony -- all bold or select words bold -- I favor select words bold. Pump up the font size if needed; but, retain the ability to make some words bold and other not. All bold is hard for me to read for more than a page or two. (It is a lot like all caps or shouting, fine for a moment but not a whole book.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote