Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Sound off.....at this point, who's got one?

Just wanted to get the tally of who got one at this point....maybe put a note on where you got it to help other members who want one? Which color did you go for? What do you think so far?

So who's in the club at this point?

I have the Black version I got mine from Sonystyle store in Menlo Park Mall in Edison, NJ. Loving mine so far....couldn't be happier
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Oh me me!
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
moespook
moespook began at the beginning.

Device: bebook; sony 600
Me as well as of today! I've got a silver one, got it on pre-order online at Bol.com in the Netherlands. Getting to know it, so far so good. Bit apprehensive about the screen after reading about it here, but it's quite good glare-wise. I thought I would be looking at my own shadow the whole time

I don't care much for the cover that's included. Anyone got a more sturdy one?

Last edited by moespook; 09-02-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: 'nabrander'
moespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Picking mine up from Abt Electronics in less than 2 hours. I've already played with one at a Sony store last week so I know what to expect.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
stygian
stygian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, sony prs-600 (prospective)
How comfortable is it for you to turn pages on the PRS-600? That's my biggest concern. I like the side buttons on the Kindle 2 and I worry that I would find it awkward to turn the pages on the PRS-600.
stygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
moespook
moespook began at the beginning.

Device: bebook; sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygian View Post
How comfortable is it for you to turn pages on the PRS-600? That's my biggest concern. I like the side buttons on the Kindle 2 and I worry that I would find it awkward to turn the pages on the PRS-600.
Actually I find it quite easy. I got a bebook as well which has buttons, but I find the swipe movement real easy!
moespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
Oh me me!
Which one which one?

Quote:
I find it better than turning the pages on the PES-505. The hard buttons are placed, with the touch screen it dosen't matter where your hand is placed on the Reader, you could swipe anywhere to changed the pages.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
...I find it better than turning the pages on the PES-505. The hard buttons are placed, with the touch screen it dosen't matter where your hand is placed on the Reader, you could swipe anywhere to changed the pages.
It will be the same as the PRS-700, which is very easy to turn pages. It isn't necessarily even a swipe. It can be just a wee arc, about 1 cm, anywhere on the screen. I hold the book with my left hand and use my left thumb to "swipe" the small arc across the bottom left corner, which is not even in the text area of the screen.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 09-02-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
spblue
spblue began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I just got mine as well today. I hurried to order it from NCIX.com when I saw that the SonyStyle.ca store was out of stock. As a canadian, I've got to say that we get a horrible deal. The reader sells for $399 CAD, and the CAD has been worth over 90 cents USD for a long time now. So it's kind of a rip-off. Oh well, at least I got it from NCIX at $389, and I don't have to pay the Quebec sales tax ($415 with taxes). Still, pretty expensive.

So far I like it, but the screen has a bit of glare. It might take a while to get used to, after owning the 505 for so long. I bought this one because the substrate on my PRS-505 got damaged while it was in my bag.

Aside from the glare, I really like it. The dictionary is very nice, and is it just me, but the screen refresh is a bit faster than on the 505? It seems to take less time to switch menus and turn pages.

Anyway, I'm gonna go play with it some more now...

Edit: oh yeah, and the M-Edge executive cover that I used for my PRS-505 also fits the PRS-600, so that was also a nice point!
spblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Which one which one?
I got me a red one with a red cover .
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Loving mine ...

I ordered a black - through SonyStyle. It shipped August 25 and arrived August 28. I'm using the M-edge executive cover - a bit bulky for reading.

As I've said on other threads - I'm loving it. I had a software issue with Vista at first - hopefully it is resolved. I have reason to believe the problem may have been a corrupt PDF file - still checking.

I love the "sweep" to turn the pages - it doesn't have to be a straight one, mine is more angled - and I liked the setting where I could decide which way worked best for me.

Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I just got mine. Black one from the Dallas Galleria Sony Store. It has been charging at home while I have been out teaching a class. Play time when I get home.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Still waiting....sigh...

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I got a black 600, and I love it so much I sold my 505 and Kindle 2. I ordered mine directly from Sony.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I decided to give mine a second chance, and I've still got my red 600.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote