Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
pupeno
pupeno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unhappy Switching the language on firmware 1.4.00.23260

Hello,

I've just got a PRS-505, but it's in German, which I don't understand. I want to switch it to English. I did my research and I've found various paths but all felt apart when I've seen it comes with firmware 1.4 which seems not to be supported by any of potential ways to do it. What can I do?

Is my only chance to go to US 1.1 or UK 1.2? Will I be loosing tons of features?

Thanks
pupeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

As far as I am aware, the US and UK firmware is the same with the difference being the date format. US being mm/dd/yy UK being dd/mm/yy.

I don't imagine that there would be many difference in features between the different firmware versions other that localisation. I would expect any improvements to be rolled out to all versions...

I may be wrong though!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
pupeno

PieOPah, does the US 1.1 allow landscape mode? Anyway, I'd still like to know if there's a way to switch languages.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I've had a look and can't find any option to change the language (which is why I assumed you were looking into changing the firmware).

Also, I know that the UK version of the Firmware allows you to change the orientation so can only assume that the US version also allows it.

PRSCustomizer may be your answer. I am sure that it backs up your existing firmware and allows you to install a different version. If you put UK/US firmware then I am sure you would get English rather than German!

Have a look through the thread and ask some questions there...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
pupeno

I know it has no option to change the language. I know changing the main.xml file to point to another language should just do it but I don't know where that file is and how to put a custom one. PRSCustomizer would brick it, it only works with 1.1 (US) and 1.2 (UK). It doesn't work with 1.3 and there's no mention anywhere of 1.4, which is what I have. PRSCustomizer comes with a folder that you can drop on 1.3 to change the language, but not on 1.4.
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

I may be wrong (which is why it would be best to ask in the dedicated thread), but I think that the Firmware selection is what you are choosing to install - ie, while I have the 1.2 UK version, I could in theory select the 1.1 US version.

This would mean you could change your Firmware from 1.4 to 1.2 or 1.1

Again, before doing any of this, I would double check. I only think this due to reading something along those lines when I was looking at the options before the UK version had been released...

Get confirmation before trying anything though!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Someone who know more than me feel free to correct me but wouldnt it be posible just to flash a device with the US or UK firmware to get the english language on it?
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Someone who know more than me feel free to correct me but wouldnt it be posible just to flash a device with the US or UK firmware to get the english language on it?
Like I said, but straight to the point
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
pupeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
That's one way, would I be loosing features going from 1.4 to 1.1?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupeno View Post
That's one way, would I be loosing features going from 1.4 to 1.1?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20&postcount=2
Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
pupeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I know that there's no much difference between 1.1 and 1.2, but that doesn't speak about 1.1, 1.2 and 1.4. I know a friend's version, probably 1.2, doesn't have portrait mode while mine does.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
PieOPah
Addict

I have 1.2 which does have portrait/landscape...
You would need somebody from the US to confirm whether or not they have that option.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
They took out portrait mode in one version of the software? i wonder why?

The US version does have portrait mode , i used to own a 505 bought in the US but it was stolen a couple of weeks ago .
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have the US Version of the 505...it's always had portrait/landscape mode (before and after flashing with updated firmware and then using PRS Customizer).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
My understanding is:

1.1 US
1.2 UK
1.3 France
1.4 Germany

I believe the only difference between these firmwares are date format and regional language. If you moved from 1.4 to either 1.1 or 1.2, you should not lose any functionality. If it is possible, perform a dump of the existing firmware in case you needed to revert back to the original firmware.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.4, change, language, switch