Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I have occasion to show my PRS500 to college undergrads pretty regularly (my wife's a professor so I find myself waiting for her on campus periodically). Obviously they're all under 30, and they're also generally quite interested in the thing ... but they'd be more interested if they could take notes on it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #17
capsizing
capsizing began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I just got an iLiad for my 24th birthday. Maybe I'm odd, but I'd rather have several devices that do one thing extremely well than one device that's mediocre at everything it does. I want a cellphone for clear conversations, and I carry a separate camera, because it takes better-quality photos than any cellphone camera. I wanted an e-reader so that I could read fully-page PDFs on it, and I don't think any cellphone with an 8 inch screen would sell.

I'm also a grad student, so reading PDFs is more important to me than the average 24 year old. The other grad students in my program all want an iLiad, after seeing what it can do, but the price is too high for most of them.
capsizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to MobileRead, capsizing! Glad you found a device that does what you need to do.

The mental image of a cell phone with an 8" screen gave me a chuckle.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, capsizing! Glad you found a device that does what you need to do.

The mental image of a cell phone with an 8" screen gave me a chuckle.
It can also be used as a chair!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It seems that a lot of people are looking for a single device to do everything. I guess this is why feature creep is so common in cell phones. When was the last time you heard of a cell phone making a great cup of coffee?
When they make a screen technology that is easy on the eyes like e-ink but refreshes quickly enough for other applications, I'll want a sleek tablet/UMPC-type device that will be more multi-function. Until then, I'll be happy with a reader. I'm sure in 5 years we'll look back at these devices with a chuckle and marvel at how far we've come. That's just the way of things.

As for the original topic, I'm 36 but I've been wanting something like this since I was back in university. I watched the various readers come and go with interest but never got one because the issues of screens and content. If these innovations had happened earlier, I would've been under 30 with a reader. I wonder, though, if this is less an issue of age than generation. I think my generation reads more books and did when we were younger, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
When they make a screen technology that is easy on the eyes like e-ink but refreshes quickly enough for other applications, I'll want a sleek tablet/UMPC-type device that will be more multi-function. Until then, I'll be happy with a reader. I'm sure in 5 years we'll look back at these devices with a chuckle and marvel at how far we've come. That's just the way of things.

As for the original topic, I'm 36 but I've been wanting something like this since I was back in university. I watched the various readers come and go with interest but never got one because the issues of screens and content. If these innovations had happened earlier, I would've been under 30 with a reader. I wonder, though, if this is less an issue of age than generation. I think my generation reads more books and did when we were younger, too.
The iLiad has a quasi refresh rate. Just the fact that you can see a drawing take shape as you do it would suggest so. I understand a big part of the power drain comes from this fact.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm 26 and bought my first eink device when I was 24...^^

I also read ebooks on my PDA before that, so I guess I'm in the "odd" group as well...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
a great cup of coffee?
A "great cup of coffee" is a contradiction in terms. Civilized people drink tea .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

And enlightened folks drink hot chocolate.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Sissy stuff. Beer's the only way! Tough choice, I love wine too. Un bon gros rouge de Bourgogne.

Kidding. That could go on a long time.

I thought energy drinks were the norm today!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #26
stxopher
Nameless Being

I'm not sure "energy drinks" and reading really mesh. Unless you're into "X-TREME READING"!

(And now MickD will jump naked from the hot air balloon while tied to a bungee cord and attempt to successfully read Purgatorio: Canto XXIII of The Divine Comedy. Let's go to the live head cam!)
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I passed 30, but when MobileRead was started (to all intents and purposes: to talk about e-books and devices), I just turned 28
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well, I sort of agree with the statement. Maybe not 30 but definitely under 25. I have been discussing ebook readers on a few fantasy forums where I believe most of the members are students or young people age 15-25.

They are not interested at all.

There are a few issues. They are fans of certain writers/series. They buy books in the series ASAP when one is published and discuss it and re-read it. They would be deprived of this if they move to ebook reader.

First of all eBooks are not being published at the same time as hardback editions. So, fans of certain series would not be able to participate in discussion of the book within their circle, they would not be able to read a book that they were waiting for 1 year or more immediately, on a par with other fans who read pbooks.

Another issue is total absence of some of the eBooks.

There are no eBooks by Steven Erikson- Malazan Book of the Fallen

There are no eBooks by Glen Cook - The Black Company.

(Well at least in amazon kindle shop, I didn't check other shops).

So, it is very difficult to introduce a very expensive, one purpose gadget to people (computer science/chemistry/medicine/law students, high school students etc) who cannot read their favorite books as easily as they can read pbooks.

Last edited by astra; 11-30-2007 at 05:33 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
There are no eBooks by Steven Erikson- Malazan Book of the Fallen
Which sucks, this is one series I'd love to have in e-form. Does Transworld (his UK publisher) do any ebooks at all? I know TOR (his US publisher) doesn't do much of anything with ebooks, plus their still behind the UK releases so I'd rather find UK versions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #30
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Which sucks, this is one series I'd love to have in e-form. Does Transworld (his UK publisher) do any ebooks at all? I know TOR (his US publisher) doesn't do much of anything with ebooks, plus their still behind the UK releases so I'd rather find UK versions.
I don't know. I have checked only Sonny Connect and Amazon Kindle shops.

For some reasons I doubt they would be somewhere else..
astra is offline   Reply With Quote