Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #1321
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
The latest update contains a bug fix addressing the last read progress not being saved. I haven't had a moment to check it out.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #1322
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I DID finally start experiencing the "losing my place" issue. And once it started, it seemed to happen all the time! I sent Mantano as many details about the issue as I possibly could (as I hope everyone else did), so I'll be anxiously trying this newest version to see if the problem has been fixed. *fingers crossed*

EDIT: The new version DID fail to open my last read book to the proper place immediately after updating, but if the problem was with progress not always being SAVED ... that's somewhat understandable. It's the older version that would have been responsible for saving my last-read position. Now we'll see how it does moving forward!

EDIT2: I don't want to instill false hope or anything, but (after ensuring that the books I was experimenting with had been opened with the latest version of Mantano) I opened and closed many, many books--changing pages and flipping to various bookmarks--and each time I returned to a book, it opened to the exact same place I'd left it (even when leaving the book open in the background and doing other things). I know for a fact, that before this update, it probably would have messed up on the ONE book I'm reading several times already. Promising!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-17-2015 at 10:27 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #1323
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Looks like they may have fixed the page problem. I do HATE the fact they don't go back to the book I'm reading from the Android home screen. Yes, it is just one extra screen to get to it, but it is so not necessary - at least they could have done was give us an option.

I tried Pocketbook while waiting for Mantano's update and may just stay with it so I can open my currently reading book immediately.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #1324
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Looks like they may have fixed the page problem. I do HATE the fact they don't go back to the book I'm reading from the Android home screen. Yes, it is just one extra screen to get to it, but it is so not necessary - at least they could have done was give us an option.
I'm not sure what you mean by "from the Android home screen"? As long as I don't close the book (or completely close/stop Mantano) it always opens to the book I'm reading--no matter how I relaunch Mantano. The only time I ever see Mantano's home screen/or my library is if I leave it there (after closing a book), or the first time I launch Mantano after a reboot.

I would find what you're describing very annoying as well. I just don't think I'm experiencing it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #1325
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Mantano has lost me for good over the page thing as well, they just took way to long to fix whats probably the most important thing in an eBook reader. I bought Moon+ and I'm really liking the dropbox syncing it means I can pick up either my tablet or phone and be able to pick up where I left off reliably for free unlike the Mantano paid service which never even worked for me.

Yeah Moon+ doesn't style as well as Mantano did but that doesn't actually bother me as I mostly read novels.

So to little to late as far as I'm concerned I won't be recommending Mantano to anyone else again.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #1326
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "from the Android home screen"? As long as I don't close the book (or completely close/stop Mantano) it always opens to the book I'm reading--no matter how I relaunch Mantano. The only time I ever see Mantano's home screen/or my library is if I leave it there (after closing a book), or the first time I launch Mantano after a reboot.

I would find what you're describing very annoying as well. I just don't think I'm experiencing it.
I'll try to explain, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have an Android tablet. While reading a book, I decide to check on something, so I press the round circle in the middle at the bottom of the book page (or the arrow at the bottom left). This takes me back to the main screen for Android showing several apps. After doing something, say checking weather, I press on the Mantano app icon. It goes to the Mantano home screen, not the last opened book. Mantano says it is Android doing this, not Mantano - I do have the Android 5.0.2, but my other ereader apps go back to the book. I think they haven't fixed it for the new Android os 5.0.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #1327
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll try to explain, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have an Android tablet. While reading a book, I decide to check on something, so I press the round circle in the middle at the bottom of the book page (or the arrow at the bottom left). This takes me back to the main screen for Android showing several apps. After doing something, say checking weather, I press on the Mantano app icon. It goes to the Mantano home screen, not the last opened book. Mantano says it is Android doing this, not Mantano - I do have the Android 5.0.2, but my other ereader apps go back to the book. I think they haven't fixed it for the new Android os 5.0.
That's what I thought you meant. But that's not what I'm experiencing. On my Nexus 7 (2013 with 5.0.2) -- if I follow your exact steps, I get taken right back to the book I previously had open. Always have. I never see the Mantano home screen unless I want to (or unless I stop Mantano or reboot).

I can see why that would be frustrating to you... that would drive me nuts. I have no idea if it's Mantano or Android's fault; I just know it doesn't behave that way on my Android tablet with 5.0.2.

Do you, by any chance, have any third-party Android memory management apps installed that try to free up memory by closing running programs?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-17-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #1328
peaceridge
Guru

Ok, this is just weird! I don't have any apps that I put on to free up memory. However, as I was looking through the list I came upon the Verizon app to check my data minutes used (on my mifi). Since I'd stopped using it because it couldn't get me logged on (my tablet not being a Verizon phone), I deleted it. Now Mantano is going back to the book! Slippery, huh!? Thanks for mentioning that as it got me to looking. All seems to be well now.

Quote:
That's what I thought you meant. But that's not what I'm experiencing. On my Nexus 7 (2013 with 5.0.2) -- if I follow your exact steps, I get taken right back to the book I previously had open. Always have. I never see the Mantano home screen unless I want to (or unless I stop Mantano or reboot).

I can see why that would be frustrating to you... that would drive me nuts. I have no idea if it's Mantano or Android's fault; I just know it doesn't behave that way on my Android tablet with 5.0.2.

Do you, by any chance, have any third-party Android memory management apps installed that try to free up memory by closing running programs?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #1329
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, this is just weird! I don't have any apps that I put on to free up memory. However, as I was looking through the list I came upon the Verizon app to check my data minutes used (on my mifi). Since I'd stopped using it because it couldn't get me logged on (my tablet not being a Verizon phone), I deleted it. Now Mantano is going back to the book! Slippery, huh!? Thanks for mentioning that as it got me to looking. All seems to be well now.
All's well that ends well!

I'm still going to be bookmarking religiously for a while 'til I can trust Mantano not to lose my place, but signs are good that things are back to "normal." If so, I'll definitely be archiving this version in case of future trouble!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #1330
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
All's well that ends well!

I'm still going to be bookmarking religiously for a while 'til I can trust Mantano not to lose my place, but signs are good that things are back to "normal." If so, I'll definitely be archiving this version in case of future trouble!
Good idea - reminds me to archive it, too.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #1331
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For one-click access to current reading position for a particular book, you could also try adding a Mantano book widget to your Android Home screen. The book cover displayed will be ludicrously small but it works well enough.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #1332
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
For one-click access to current reading position for a particular book, you could also try adding a Mantano book widget to your Android Home screen. The book cover displayed will be ludicrously small but it works well enough.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. If Mantano acts up again, I'll try that.

Update: Mantano is still losing the page number after going to the home screen! Also, started not returning to the book being read. I'll try your idea of the widget, but if it still loses the page number, I'm done with it!

Last edited by peaceridge; 02-18-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #1333
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Has anyone discovered a way to view overall book progress using Mantano's EPUB3 engine? I'm all for having multiple progress options, but I frankly don't care at all about my progress within the current chapter. I want a book-based page x/xxx indicator, and a progress bar based on the entire book: just like I have when using the EPUB2 engine.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #1334
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.5.6 informs me that the next version of the software will be called Bookari. I can find nothing about what this may entail. Anyone have any info?

Fans might want to make sure they have good backups of the latest version, so they can revert in case things go south.

P.S. v2.5.6 added the global book progress indicator for EPUB3s that I mentioned was lacking in the previous post.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #1335
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Version 2.5.6 informs me that the next version of the software will be called Bookari. I can find nothing about what this may entail. Anyone have any info?

Fans might want to make sure they have good backups of the latest version, so they can revert in case things go south.

P.S. v2.5.6 added the global book progress indicator for EPUB3s that I mentioned was lacking in the previous post.
Thanks. I'm hoping a new version will actually work for me. I need to have left justify to be able to read. Mantano can't seem to override that anymore, and I think it's been quite awhile since it could.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote