Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #18541
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
First book of the year is The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
In addition, I started Just Ride by Grant Petersen yesterday evening. I needed something more fast paced and with shorter chapters. So far, I like them both (about halfway through Just Ride and close to 65% through The Secret History).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #18542
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward, which was the last book in the Star Trek: The Fall series. The series started off slow, but boy did it ever pick up!!! I ended up really liking it.

Next up, I will be reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, which is a re-read. Or more like a re-re-re-re-read. Yes, The Wheel of Time is turning once again.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #18543
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
This year for Christmas my daughter gifted me Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years by Carl Sandburg. Sandburg was a poet and reporter who grew up in Galesburg, Illinois, the site of the fifth Lincoln-Douglas debate. Born in 1878, Sandburg had access to people who had personal knowledge of Lincoln. Sandburg planned and worked on his biography of Lincoln for decades, publishing The prairie Years (2 volumes) in 1926, and The War Years (4 volumes) in 1942. He later produced a condensed edition in 1954, which is the version that seems to be currently available electronically to some lucky people. It's hard to get an electronic version; available at amazon.com as an MP3 CD, and Barnes & Noble as a Nook book. Amazon Canada and Kobo Canada sing not the Sandburg electric. Maybe some public benefactor will produce an ebook in 2042 (Sandburg died in 1967), unless copyright gets extended again to life plus 500 or some other reasonable extension. I've wanted to read it for decades, and consider myself fortunate to have gotten the full version, even if in a 1926 printing on disintegrating chemical pulp.

It is the best biography I have read of Lincoln's formative years, ending with his farewell speech at Springfield as his train takes him east to Washington, death, and glory. If you ever feel the need to read a biography of Lincoln which attempts to explain him as a person, this is the one. The depth of detail and the literary quality (Sandburg had two poetry Pulitzers) are outstanding.
I lived in Galesburg a few years and Sandburg is still pretty famous around those parts.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #18544
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Yesterday I started Kathy Reichs' Virals, the first in her YA series. I'm about 20% in and up until now the is okay, but not good enough for me to want to read the rest of the series (yet). I'm already getting annoyed how the 14 year old main character keeps reminding the reader every couple of pages how smart she is/thinks she is and there are also regular reminders that she's pretty.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #18545
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #18546
Aanya
Enthusiast
Aanya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,
I would be interested to read this book also, but I am not sure where I can get and I will more happy if any % discount there. By the way this new year, I just gifted "THE GOLDFINCH" by one of my best friend and continue reading...
Aanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #18547
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I finished The Enchantment Emporium yesterday; was definitely worth reading in spite of my initial aversion. Not sure I enjoyed it enough to consider the sequel - I have far too many other books to read - but it's not a definite "no, never".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanya View Post
Hi,
I would be interested to read this book also, but I am not sure where I can get and I will more happy if any % discount there. By the way this new year, I just gifted "THE GOLDFINCH" by one of my best friend and continue reading...
If you mean the Harry Potter e-books (as mentioned in the post above yours), the best way to buy them is directly on the Pottermore website: http://shop.pottermore.com/
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #18548
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now reading: Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett
2/3rds through and still very good.

I'm also reading one of my Christmas presents - an omnibus of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic in graphic novel form. One of my sons got it for me, because it wasn't a book I'd rather have in electronic form!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #18549
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Now reading: Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

Looking very good so far.
I see it's only 99p on Amazon UK. What a bargain!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #18550
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Still? I thought it was a Daily special. But yes, at £0.99 it's unmissable, IMO. That's why I bought it!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #18551
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Recently finished these:
A Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan
Hope's End: A Powder Mage Short Story by Brian McClellan
The Girl of Hrusch Avenue: A Powder Mage Short Story by Brian McClellan

Continuing this:
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Eagerly awaiting on January 14th:
Dawn of Swords (The Breaking World) by David Dalglish
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #18552
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Still? I thought it was a Daily special. But yes, at £0.99 it's unmissable, IMO. That's why I bought it!
I think it's part of the monthly deal, so it'll probably be 99p until the end of Jan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #18553
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I wish it were the same at Amazon US. Oh well, I got Snuff last week for $1.99.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #18554
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I wish it were the same at Amazon US. Oh well, I got Snuff last week for $1.99.
I expect it'll be on special offer for US readers at some point in 2014. The question is whether you can wait!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #18555
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Got to the half-way point in Dangerous Women and decided to take a Harry Potter break and re-read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I sure enjoyed my re-reading of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets over this holiday season!

Now on to an Amazon Freebie, January's urban fantasy offering from Kindle First, The Line (Witching Savannah, Book One) by J.D. Horn.
I enjoyed reading The Line with some reservations. It was a bit too much into 'romance' for my taste and also seemed to me to be somewhat predictable (with some reservations). As well it kinda' dragged along using a lot of filler till 3/4 of the way through it when then in Chapter 25 it hit me with a big reveal that I hadn't seen coming. Then it started to drag again till it hit me with another reveal!. So I have mixed feelings. Perhaps if it had been edited down to a novella I might have been happier with it? But despite these reservations/criticisms I still enjoyed reading it.

Now back to reading Dangerous Women where a Diana Rowland story is next!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote