Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Read Nook-downloaded file?

I've been told that when the Nook app downloads a book on a Nook tablet, it stores it in a "hidden" partition. Does anyone know anything about how this works?

I'd purchased a number of books, and not bothered to download them, and then found that B&N had disabled downloading. I've recovered mist of my books by downloading them with the PC Nook reader, but there are three books in my account that are device-restricted - the website won't allow me to download them with the PC reader.

I can download them using the reader on an actual Nook, but once there I cannot see the fIle.

Does anyone know of an app or a hack that can view or copy these files? I'm not interested in breaking the DRM, but I really want to get these books into Calibre so I can manage them in the same system as my other books, and so that they are included I my backups.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post
I've been told that when the Nook app downloads a book on a Nook tablet, it stores it in a "hidden" partition. Does anyone know anything about how this works?

I'd purchased a number of books, and not bothered to download them, and then found that B&N had disabled downloading. I've recovered mist of my books by downloading them with the PC Nook reader, but there are three books in my account that are device-restricted - the website won't allow me to download them with the PC reader.

I can download them using the reader on an actual Nook, but once there I cannot see the fIle.

Does anyone know of an app or a hack that can view or copy these files? I'm not interested in breaking the DRM, but I really want to get these books into Calibre so I can manage them in the same system as my other books, and so that they are included I my backups.
On a NOOK HD, the files are stored in "/data/nookmedia/B&N Downloads/Books". If you have an HD or HD+, probably the easiest way to access these is to install one of the CyanogenMod builds to a spare SD Card. You can then boot from the card when you want to download the books and then reboot without the card to go back to the regular NOOK OS. If you have a SanDisk class 4 card, use that. Otherwise it may be slow. I've installed it on a 4gb card, so it doesn't have to be huge.

Directions for the NOOK HD are here and for the HD+ are here. If you want to actually use it as an Android tablet, you could install KitKat to the SD Card instead.

CyanogenMod has root automatically, so you can either use adb or a file manager to transfer the files to your computer. With CM booted, the files will be at "/int-data/nookmedia/B&N Downloads/Books/".

An alternate way to get the files is to install the latest Android NOOK app to a rooted Android device. The latest NOOK app will allow you to download tablet-only files. They'll be stored in "/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books".
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
On my Nook HD, only side loaded books are stored in the visible filesystem.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hidden files, nook