Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle-DX
Noob questions about reading comic books on a tablet

I've been using Kindle/Calibre for a long time, so I'm familiar with managing ebooks. Now that I bought a 10" tablet, I have some specific questions about reading comic books on the device.

I've been reading comics on my PS3, so I had to unzip all the .CBR/.CBZ files into directories full of .JPGs. Would it be better to re-zip them back into .CBRs for viewing on the tablet? Is .CBR a special format or just a .ZIP with a re-named extension? I unzipped everything with WINRAR, but I'd prefer to have everything back in .CBR.

Also, what is the go-to app for reading comics? For ebooks, Calibre is the king, so I'm hoping there's a comic book equivalent.
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<edit> I just found out that the "R" and "Z" on the .CB* extension is RAR and ZIP. Which bring up another question. If I re-archive back into .CBR/.CBZ is it even worth trying to use compression? A .JPG is already compressed and it might save a sliver of space, but does a compressed archive affect viewing? I'd like to assume .CBR/.CBZ are typically uncompressed because they usually only contain .JPG files.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I frequently read comics on my tablets and having the images wrapped in a cbr or cbz (depending on which compression format I used at the time) helps to keep the comics neat and tidy. So instead possibly tens or hundreds of separate files, you will only have one. I think (although I can't be certain) that having loads of images files might be more of a performance hit that one file containing them all.

Yes, you are right that the files are just renamed zip or rar files. If the compression format compresses the image a bit further, then thats fine, but it is not required. As to viewing them, the compression does not effect viewing in the slightest, nor the response time of the app. Image quality is also unaffected due to the fact that you are using a lossless format for compression.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I'd recommend installing comixology or ComicRack for your conics. They both manage and display your comics, both are good, it's just a matter of personal preference which one you like more.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Bobosmite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I think (although I can't be certain) that having loads of images files might be more of a performance hit that one file containing them all.
I know it plays hell on a mechanical drive, so it's probably a good idea to zip everything back up.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Bobosmite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I'd recommend installing comixology...
Oh crap...well, I did ask. LOL I stopped collecting in 1995, so this is a whole new experience. Valiant is back!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never tried Comixology, but I can recommend ComicRack. It works well on my devices and can link in with the desktop version for managing all your comics.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobosmite View Post
Oh crap...well, I did ask. LOL I stopped collecting in 1995, so this is a whole new experience. Valiant is back!
Well if you stopped in '95, you've missed out on quite a bit, you've got some catching up to do.

My collection is getting stupidly extensive so ComicRack's management system makes it a bit easier to maintain.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you've got your comics all organized already and just want a viewer, Perfect Viewer is free and works pretty great.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote