Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Candoumi
Candoumi began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
non-ASCII characters show up as question marks on my Reader (from FAQ)

Hello, I saw this question in the FAQ:

> Why do some of my non-ASCII characters appear correctly in Sigil, but show up as question marks on my Reader or in Adobe Digital Editions?

At least for Chinese, a simple xml:lang="zh-CN" (for simplified Chinese) or xml:lang="zh-TW" (for traditional Chinese) declaration in the <html> element makes characters show properly in my e-ink reader (a newly bought iRiver Cover Story).

i.e.: <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" xml:lang="zh-TW">

Without the lang declaration, I only get question marks (for example with epub from Gutenberg.org).

I assume it may work for other languages too.

I have yet to find the trick for mixing languages in the same document (<span xml:lang="xx-XX"></span> in the text does not work for me).
Candoumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do the alternate fonts exist on your i-river?
Not all devices have a full complement of fonts built in.
The font support for the language you noted had to be added as a Firmware supplement for my device.

Or you could try and embed the fonts into the book.

I suggest asking character set support questions in the i-river group
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Candoumi
Candoumi began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
Thanks.

Maybe I was not clear enough: CJK works on the iRiver (out of the box and without any issue for any utf-8 encoded *.txt files), but it works on epub only with a proper "xml:lang" declaration.

I was merely giving a simple solution to people who have -- as I did have -- problems with epub that work fine in Sigil, Calibre, FBreader, etc. but show only question marks in their e-ink reader (a problem from Adobe, if I understand well).

Last edited by Candoumi; 04-07-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Candoumi is offline   Reply With Quote