Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Stylus Woes

So I lost my stylus...

Went to the Sony Store and they confirmed that they are not selling any PRS600 styli at the moment. I whinged for a while and the guy at the store said he would call a contact he has at the reader division and see what he could do for me but just curious if anyone has solved this issue yet? It's ridiculous that a Cdn$400 device could be rendered substantially ineffective for lack of a tiny piece of plastic. I know I can use another stylus, have an old palm one I am using now but obviously this is an inconvenient solution.

Any help (or solace)?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
So I lost my stylus...
Any help (or solace)?

Mel
I can relate. My dog chewed my first stylus for my PRS-700. I picked up 2 new ones from the Sonystyle store while they still had them. I know, they don't fit the PRS-600, unless you have some kind of cover that would hold one.

I'm not sure if you saw Igorsk's post here. $$$

They should come up with some reasonably priced replacements at some point.

Good luck Mel.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Just an update to my months long stylus saga. Despite waiting patiently it would appear that Sony has no intention of providing replacement styli. So I started to call and whinge some more - to Sony, my retailer, third party retailers of stylus products and pretty much anyone else with an email address... After my second round with the company that does the reader servicing for Sony in Canada I found a wonderful person who took pity on me. She lay in wait for an unfixable Sony PRS600, had them save the stylus before they junked it and sent it to me I paid shipping. So happy!!! Will be writing a letter expressing how great the service was from this individual.

My Sony is now fulfilled or at least stylus filled.

Mel
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Just an update to my months long stylus saga. Despite waiting patiently it would appear that Sony has no intention of providing replacement styli. So I started to call and whinge some more - to Sony, my retailer, third party retailers of stylus products and pretty much anyone else with an email address... After my second round with the company that does the reader servicing for Sony in Canada I found a wonderful person who took pity on me. She lay in wait for an unfixable Sony PRS600, had them save the stylus before they junked it and sent it to me I paid shipping. So happy!!! Will be writing a letter expressing how great the service was from this individual.

My Sony is now fulfilled or at least stylus filled.

Mel
Great customer service! She really went above and beyond.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hmm, I'll have to start looking now in that case. Between the dog, either of the cats, or my son who has gone through several for his DS, I'm sure I'll need one in the near future.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I've found that with my 700, the stylus doesn't fit real well in it's space. I've had many instances with my M-Edge cover that I toss the reader onto my bed or onto a chair, and the stylus goes flying. Fortunately with the BookArmor, there's no way for the flying stylus to go flying.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
This thread might contain information that you might be interested in:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71484
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
As a Palm guy for many years as well as a lover of pens, I spent many an hour online finding the right pen/stylus collection. Far and above all other sources is Stylus Central. Here is there link.

http://www.styluscentral.com/
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Solitaire, I read that thread the other day and like the idea of the cross refill, the only downside of that is that it doesn't fit in the built-in stylus holder, but that is still the best solution of the alternatives listed.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Thanks Solitaire, I read that thread the other day and like the idea of the cross refill, the only downside of that is that it doesn't fit in the built-in stylus holder, but that is still the best solution of the alternatives listed.
This hasn't been an issue for me, I carry my stylus just like any other pen (usually in my shirt pocket).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It is the rare occasion that I even use my 600 stylus. The finger flick to change pages is so easy and natural - and leaves no marks on screen, I just have not needed the stylus.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
wow. companies usually make a killing off of selling things like this. i'm surprised sony isn't selling them yet, even at $10 a pop. i'll admit i never use mine and hopefully it'll never accidentally pop out of that slot and disappear. maybe sony will sell them sooner or later.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
It is the rare occasion that I even use my 600 stylus. The finger flick to change pages is so easy and natural - and leaves no marks on screen, I just have not needed the stylus.

Robert
I've only used it a few times myself, my worry stems from the fact that my son has found the drawing app and prefers the stylus to his finger
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hmm. Does the display one at bestbuy have it loose in its slot?

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
MelC
Evangelist

I think I may be a little unique in that the ability to take handwritten notes at work without the need for a legal pad was one of the reasons I got this device. The ability to take handwritten notes and not have to remember a separate stylus pen when I go to a meeting is important to me (since I inevitably don't remember).

Mel