Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #1186
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Are you keeping the previous iPads?
No!

I've had 3 iPADs before.
My first iPad 1, 32GB WiFi-only, after 2 months was replaced by iPAD 1, 64 GB WiFi + 3G. (Since then, I only buy tablets with GPS).
I gave the WiFi-only model to my wife when her notebook crashed (perfect excuse for me to buy the 3G model). My wife, for now, keeps the WiFi-only model.
I've sold the iPad 1 3G model when iPad 2 was released.
I've sold the iPad 2 this weekend. I would have kept it, but I tried my luck via Amazon reselling. It was sold within a day!

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-12-2012 at 02:30 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #1187
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nook touch

Just received it from the US.
Unfortunately, I haven't got the Kindle touch yet.

Briefly re. nook touch:
I really like it!
Its bezels are way wider than on Kobo or Sony touch. But it's not distracting at all, nook even feels more "balanced" that way.
I don't see any major differences in responsiveness between Kobo, nook or Sony.
I haven't tested yet, but in the past I had to use VPN to buy directly from B&N. On Sony and Kobo I can buy via WiFi on the readers themselves. Having to go through PC/VPN is a huge downside on nook. Anyway...I already had bought some 250 eBooks from B&N before for my nook classic and downloaded them immediately. No problems at all.
What I really like:
On Sony I have to activate ADE. I hate this, always run out of activations.
On Kindle, for many books I only have 4 activations. May seem enough, but actually can be quite annoying: PC, iPad, Xoom, Kindle 3, Kindle DX, ...I often have to kill a unit to use another one...
Still: Way better than ADE. If you run out of activations with Adobe, you can't do a thing about it. You haves to request new activations from Adobe...
On nook and Kobo, so far, I NEVER ran into any limitations. Love it!

Another aspect I love about nook touch:
The initial screen asks about your time zone.
And of course: Only US time zones.
No showstopper, but still a bit annoying. I want to have my real time zone = CET.
BUT: Later on, in settings, there's another menu: "Show all global time zones". Yippiee! "Berlin". And set. Great little detail!

As with Kobo touch and Sony touch: I love the touchscreen. No waste of space for keyboard and such. Thumbing single handedly through my library or the books.

So far, Kobo touch is the only one which allows for more specific touch gestures:
- You can define the area you'd like to use for the gestures: Left/right or more to the right and so on.
- You can define the refresh rate, from every single page to every 6th page.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-13-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1188
mgmueller
Member Retired

Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition

I'm back.
I always had been fond of my Xoom 1, although there had been some harsh reviews about it.
I actually prefer it over the Samsung Tabs. On all my Samsung units I have the same issue: I switch all my tablets and readers off, because I often don't use them for days or weeks (usually focusing on the 2 or 3 newest gadgets, not the older ones) and don't want to stress the batteries too much. When starting "cold", all my Samsung units take forever to start. That's even true for my beloved Galaxy Note: All the Samsungs make a media scan and for whatever reason this takes forever...
And I love the form factor of Xoom, I prefer 16:9 (or 16:10 or something like that) over 4:3.
So, naturally I considered Xoom 2. I finally decided for the Media Edition, mainly for 2 reasons:
a.) I like 7" or 8" tablets. I strongly disagree with Steve Jobs: They're not "dead on arrival", but the perfect compromise of mobility and screen estate.
b.) And the Motorola website claims, Xoom 2 has better speakers (in comparison to Xoom 2 Standard Edition) and an integrated subwoofer.

Brief first impressions:
I like it a lot.
It's very light and compact, but doesn't seem "cheap" or lightweight at all.
The display is on par with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.
The sound is good enough. Unfortunately, that's the weak spot of lots of tablets. The tiny Mono speaker of Sony Tablet P (which I really like) is a joke, for example.
Of course, as most of the times on Android tablets, there's lots of bloatware. Maybe I have to root it...
Over all: Nice. About 15% cheaper than the comparable iPads - seems realistically priced.
Question of course: Will iPad 3, delivery scheduled for tomorrow, "kill it" for me?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #1189
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The display is on par with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.
Hmm... isn't the Samsung's screen more bright than Xoom? I found Xoom (1st model) being darker and not so vivid on colors, at least when I compare against iPad or Samsung Tablets.

I like Samsung colors. Blacks are true black and somehow, the colors look more vivid, stronger. Not saying better, but different.

One of the reasons why I skipped the Xoom, besides I don't want a Data Plan, I already have a cellphone with that.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #1190
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Hmm... isn't the Samsung's screen more bright than Xoom? I found Xoom (1st model) being darker and not so vivid on colors, at least when I compare against iPad or Samsung Tablets.

I like Samsung colors. Blacks are true black and somehow, the colors look more vivid, stronger. Not saying better, but different.

One of the reasons why I skipped the Xoom, besides I don't want a Data Plan, I already have a cellphone with that.
Xoom (both 1 and 2) has a darker display than Galaxy Tab, that's true.
But it's just about the brightness settings.
Samsung has vivid colors, but I don' find them natural/realistic looking.
Samsungs have 3 or 4 settings, such as (don't have it in front of me, can't check right now) multimedia or natural. Never found the right one for me...

Re. data plan: I'm juggling 5 SIMs for now. German Telekom allows for 2 additional SIMs without additional costs.
I try to limit myself to those 5 SIMs. But if I have one available (Xoom 1 going into Xoom 2), I absolutely prefer 3G models over WiFi-only.
Some tablets still bundle GPS, which I really want to have in each of my tablets, with 3G. And when traveling I don't want to rely on hotspots. I've got my MiFi, but no SIM for it right now...
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #1191
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Samsung has vivid colors, but I don' find them natural/realistic looking.
True!

And that's what I like ... ... I know they look TOO VIVID, but somehow, I find it nice to my eyes, can't explain. Kind of personal preference.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1192
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Question of course: Will iPad 3, delivery scheduled for tomorrow, "kill it" for me?
The answer is, of course, yes. And 2-3 months down the road another new device will kill the iPad3 for you .

You are a device addict, but you keep the economy rolling
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #1193
mgmueller
Member Retired

Talking My iPad 3 just arrived!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...#post2006413:D
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #1194
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The answer is, of course, yes. And 2-3 months down the road another new device will kill the iPad3 for you .

You are a device addict, but you keep the economy rolling
So far, Xoom 2 Media Edition can hold its position.
iPad 3 is nice, but from first impressions I don't see any "revolution" happening here. It's logical developments from iPad 2, which already was good enough for me. But quite frankly, I didn't see the "leap" in display quality on Galaxy Note either. Maybe I'm easy to please, given my experience with PDAs and such 10 years ago (which had been great readers, btw).
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #1195
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
iPad 3 is nice, but from first impressions I don't see any "revolution" happening here. It's logical developments from iPad 2, which already was good enough for me. But quite frankly, I didn't see the "leap" in display quality on Galaxy Note either. Maybe I'm easy to please, given my experience with PDAs and such 10 years ago (which had been great readers, btw).
Old eyes perhaps? Most folks' near vision tend to go down when they get older so the difference with the retina display wouldn't be that apparent.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #1196
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Old eyes perhaps? Most folks' near vision tend to go down when they get older so the difference with the retina display wouldn't be that apparent.
I had my eyes tested 3 weeks ago for my driver's license.
Not perfect eyesight, but good enough.

I guess, it's mainly about your apps respectively your demands.
For text, I don't bother about the last details of quality. When reading, I quickly get lost in the book.
I don't play games, except of "Boggle" or some casual games like that. So I've got no expectations at all re. graphics and such.
I just briefly tested "Despicable Me HD" via my Wi-Drive. It looks phantastic, but it does so on BlackBerry PlayBook as well.

I'll do a 1:1 comparison to BlackBerry PlayBook, my favorite so far, over the weekend for eBooks and graphics.
And I'll do a 1:1 comparison of the speaker quality to Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition, although I don't expect much from iPad here. Still the old Mono speaker, it seems?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #1197
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had my eyes tested 3 weeks ago for my driver's license.
Not perfect eyesight, but good enough.
I mentioned near vision. The test for the driver's license is for distance. My aunt has no trouble reading street signs from afar but she has to have reading glasses for reading. Something to do with the lens hardening as you grow older.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1198
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I mentioned near vision. The test for the driver's license is for distance. My aunt has no trouble reading street signs from afar but she has to have reading glasses for reading. Something to do with the lens hardening as you grow older.
Yes, Presbyopia is not fun. I'm almost to the point where I am going to need reading glasses. By, my distance vision is fine as well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #1199
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I don't have or bought a New iPad, but I do have the same opinion.

I do not think it was a huge improvement or something really drastic. But it may convince some people who have never own one yet.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1200
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I don't have or bought a New iPad, but I do have the same opinion.

I do not think it was a huge improvement or something really drastic. But it may convince some people who have never own one yet.
I'm pretty sure the same was said regarding the move from iPad to iPad 2.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test