Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
digitalELPH
digitalELPH began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Earlier copy of Sony Connect Reader

Hi Everyone,

I'm having issues running the eBook Library 2.0 software on my laptop. I'm trying to troubleshoot it with the Sony Tech support staff, but I'd like to try an alternative method that came to me earlier: instead of installing from v 2.0, trying installing an earlier version and upgrading that. However, sony has replaced the earlier files on their website, and I can't seem to find a download location through google. Does anyone still have a copy of the 1.0 connect reader on there computer, or know where it would be available online?

Thanks! ^^
digitalELPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It should be on the cd that came with your reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
digitalELPH

The problem is that I have a PRS-505, which ships with version 2.0.

The issue that I'm having is similar to that of (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9159).
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4194#post54194
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Upgrade will not give you anything, as 2.0 installs as a separate program. Also, 1.x will not work with the 505.
What is the problem you're having?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
digitalELPH

I'm running Windows XP SP2 in a VirtualBox VM (http://www.virtualbox.org/). After installing the ebook library 2.0 software from the sony CD, I try to run the eBook Library, and nothing happens. The CPU churns for a few seconds, then does nothing. I've tried the downloaded version multiple times. It all results the same way.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalELPH View Post
I'm running Windows XP SP2 in a VirtualBox VM (http://www.virtualbox.org/). After installing the ebook library 2.0 software from the sony CD, I try to run the eBook Library, and nothing happens. The CPU churns for a few seconds, then does nothing. I've tried the downloaded version multiple times. It all results the same way.
Why not just run XP natively instead of in some emulated system that may or may not work. And one problem is you CANNOT use an emulated Windows to upgrade the firmware of ANY device that uses the USB port as you cannot guarantee that you'll have the proper timing needed for the USB port when you do update the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
iwsbarker
iwsbarker began at the beginning.

Was this issue ever resolved for the original poster? I am having the same problem. The software runs fine in VMWare, but not in VirtualBox. I'd rather be using VirtualBox as it seems to use less system resources than VMWare.
iwsbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like a bug in VirtualBox. Maybe you can report it to them to fix.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just run XP natively instead of in some emulated system that may or may not work. And one problem is you CANNOT use an emulated Windows to upgrade the firmware of ANY device that uses the USB port as you cannot guarantee that you'll have the proper timing needed for the USB port when you do update the firmware.
I've been lucky enough with upgrading the firmware on my prs-505 using virtualbox. You have to have the version of virtualbox with usb support -- it is non-opensource, but still free to use for individuals. You have to plug in the fully-charged reader. Mount the usb (right click on the usb symbol at the bottom of the screen) and start your upgrade. At a certain point, the device switches itself off and the usb unmounts itself. When the device comes back on, it is up to you to mount it again. Otherwise it could hang there forever...

On the other hand, I'm in exactly the same boat as everybody else re: getting the software to work. The cpu has a few seconds of activity and that's it. Nothing happens. It won't work with wine under linux either.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Actually, maybe people shouldn't do what I did. It appears that a lot of poor sods have bricked their machines by doing the same thing. I may just have been lucky...
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
jenkstom
jenkstom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Why run Windows virtually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lots of reasons... You probably disagree with all of them, and that's OK. It's just my opinion and so the rationale for not running windows natively on hardware.

1. Windows is an insecure operating system, that uses an insecure web browser. Virtualizing it on a secure operating system means safer operation. Worst case scenario is either going back to a previous checkpoint or reinstalling a virtual image. My day to day work stuff is safe.

2. Windows doesn't have the specialized software I want to use, or doesn't support it very well. It's easier to run Linux and virtualize Windows than the other way around.

3. Windows is horrifically slow. This notebook came with Vista. There was no hardware support in XP for some devices. Linux supported them just fine.

4. It's hard to miss the Sony Reader application very much, since MS Reader and Adobe Digital Editions run fine under VirtualBox. Calibre, of course, is perfectly happy on Linux.

I'm assuming that since you asked, you actually wanted to know. If not, then feel free to ignore a kibbitzer like myself. :-)
jenkstom is offline   Reply With Quote