Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
geekgirlb
geekgirlb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle for Mac Fail!!! 10.6.7

Help!! Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.7, my Kindle for Mac fails. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times. It fails when I try to open it the first time. It goes into an "Initializing" state, stays there for a long time and then fails. Any ideas? Any Solutions?

Tia
geekgirlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
When you uninstalled Kindle for Mac, did you also clear out the files in your Library folder?

yourusername/Library/Application Support/Kindle/ ?

Also the preferences file in:
yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.amazon.Kindle.plist or com.amazon.Kindle For Mac.plist
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
geekgirlb
geekgirlb began at the beginning.

Yahoo!!! Kindle for Mac working now

Thanks a million kjk. It worked! I had deleted some of the files, but not all. Did the trick. (Where is an easy uninstall when ya need it??)
geekgirlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirlb View Post
Thanks a million kjk. It worked! I had deleted some of the files, but not all. Did the trick. (Where is an easy uninstall when ya need it??)
lol, I hear ya. They always say "just drag the app icon to the trash", but conveniently forget all the crap some apps dump in other places :d
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Bluerex
Bluerex began at the beginning.

Device: none
AppDelete is your friend

Charles.
Bluerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirlb View Post
"AppTrap" usually does the job. Just drop the app-file to the trash bin and it deletes the associated files as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
lol, I hear ya. They always say "just drag the app icon to the trash", but conveniently forget all the crap some apps dump in other places :d
Still not as bad as Windows. Or at least it wasn't when I used to use Mac OS.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
candido54
candido54 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for mac
I deleted the files reinstall, kindle for Mac launches but asks me to register again on I I I I deleted the files in Application support and the.plist file on preferences. I reinstalled. I have to' register again to Amazon and I must redownload all my collection. It IS a pain!
There IS some workaround ?
The ebooks Are on my computer or they stay on
a remote server ?
Thank you
Andrea
candido54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by candido54 View Post
I deleted the files reinstall, kindle for Mac launches but asks me to register again on I I I I deleted the files in Application support and the.plist file on preferences. I reinstalled. I have to' register again to Amazon and I must redownload all my collection. It IS a pain!
a remote server ?
Thank you
Andrea
Andrea, they *should* be on both after the initial download/sync. After that, you shouldn't have to keep downloading the collection.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Have you updated to Lion (OS X 10.7)? The version of Kindle4Mac that you can download from amazon.com won't work on Lion, you have to download the (very out-of-date) Kindle app from the Mac app store. Although you'll be missing many features, you'll at least be able to read your books.

I don't know if this is an amazon bug or a Lion bug, but I hope they get it worked out soon.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Have you updated to Lion (OS X 10.7)? The version of Kindle4Mac that you can download from amazon.com won't work on Lion, you have to download the (very out-of-date) Kindle app from the Mac app store. Although you'll be missing many features, you'll at least be able to read your books.

I don't know if this is an amazon bug or a Lion bug, but I hope they get it worked out soon.
Another reason for me to wait awhile before installing lion. Though there are ways to avoid using Kindle4Mac at all.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candido54 View Post
a remote server ?
Thank you
Andrea
Seems to me normal behavior to have to reregister on the Amazon Kindle Management page. if you delete the Kindle4Mac app and its associated files, that makes sense. I had to reregister too. If you keep the books only in the MyUserName/Documents/My Kindle Content folder, as opposed to, say, importing them into calibre or copying them somewhere else, then if you deleted that entire folder it makes sense that you'd have to redownload them from Amazon.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

sorry, didn't notice how old this thread was