Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
meho_r
meho_r began at the beginning.

Device: none
Huge icon in Right click > Open With submenu on Linux

Hi,

I noticed earlier that the Calibre icon in "Open With" submenu is huge, much larger of any other icons there. I noticed this on Ubuntu and Debian (with Gnome, don't know about KDE). Is there any way to remedy this and scale the icon down, or disable the menu integration completely?

Thanks.
meho_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by meho_r View Post
Hi,

I noticed earlier that the Calibre icon in "Open With" submenu is huge, much larger of any other icons there. I noticed this on Ubuntu and Debian (with Gnome, don't know about KDE). Is there any way to remedy this and scale the icon down, or disable the menu integration completely?

Thanks.
Confirmed. Lucid lynx 32-bit
BTW e-book viewer icon appears as hash in the file browser preview pane .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I don't use gnome so I can't help you. But it seems crazy to me that gnome menus are incapable of resizing icons.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
tarakanbg
tarakanbg began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
I can confirm this on ubuntu 10.04, here's a screenshot attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iconcal.png
Views:	313
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	55684  
tarakanbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
meho_r

OK, is it possible to manually resize the icon and which one is it?
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
tarakanbg
tarakanbg began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
I presume it's /opt/calibre/resources/images/lt.png
I think though the same image is rendered in other cases as well, for example in the toolbar of the GUI, so simply resizing it is not the right solution
However the image /opt/calibre/resources/images/notify.png looks the right size for use in menus (that's the one that appears also in the notification area).

Last edited by tarakanbg; 07-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.
tarakanbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changing images in /opt/calibre is not going to help. Menu icons are installed in a distro dependent location, usually somewhere in /usr/share
Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
meho_r

After some searching and experimenting, I concluded the following:

1. The icon which should be resized is this one: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/calibre-gui.png
There is another one in: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/, but it seems that it doesn't have to do anything with the issue at hand.

2. It seems that the icon is far too large (554x449 px) for Gnome (?) to handle it properly. After resizing it to 142x128 px menu looks normal.

I hope this will be of use as a temporary solution.

Kovid, is there a way to solve this automatically during the installation? Maybe some kind of DE check so, when Gnome is used, a smaller icon is provided instead of the big one?

Also, as pointed out by theducks, another icon, calibre-viewer.png is completely messed up (see the attachment). Why is that?
Attached Images

Last edited by meho_r; 07-25-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a ticket for it and I will look at it when I have the time.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind, I've committed a fix.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Similar in Xubuntu, BTW. Not just Gnome.

Xubuntu 10.04, 64-bit.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
meho_r

Thumbs up

Downloaded Calibre 0.7.12, the issue with icons is gone. Thanks a lot, Kovid, for your quick response.

Regards,

M.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Exclamation

sorry to drag up an old thread but this seems to be happening again on calibre 2.3/2.4 with gnome-shell 3.14 on debian jessie/sid

sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The large size icons are needed as they are also used as dock icons, so I dont really see a way too solve this. There is no guarantee that installing multiple sizes for the icons will make the menu pick the smaller size, not to mention that the there is no way to know what size of icon the menu requires, since I'd guess it depends on DPI and user settings.

The GNOME developers really should learn how to resize icons in their menus.