Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
drftr
drftr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Unhappy Conversion problems

Hi all,

After downloading several non-DRM books from [pirate site] I tried to convert them because I want a different font type, font size, line spacing and margins for my Sony PRS-350. Using the same conversion script on all books, the results are completely different every time. Some of the books got 1 or 2 out of the 4 aspects right but the rest fails. Is this due to Calibre or to the used Epub files? And if the last is the case how can I make sure I download files that really can be converted in the way I like to?

If this is not possible I may just have bought the wrong e-Reader as I can't set font type (at all), font size (without big encrements), line spacing (at all) and margins (can't get rid of them)...

Your reaction is highly appreciated!

By the way: I tried some other websites as well but with comparable results. Does this mean that most Epub files on the web are garbage???

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-25-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Deleted link to a pirate ebook site
drftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Bad news: there is no one set of "magic Calibre Settings" which will make all source EPUBs look "the same, just like I want them". This is because source EPUBs are created by different people all with their own ideas of what "looks good" and what settings/options they like to use in the CSS styling file stored inside the EPUB.

Good news: Calibre provides the facilities to "correct" any EPUB to your liking.

Bad news: if you don't know any HTML/CSS you may struggle to apply the features to get the desired result.

Good news: you don't have to be expert in HTML/CSS to achieve results.

Calibre's Tweak-epub feature will let you tweak the CSS inside the EPUB (before or after conversion) - useful for tweaking line-height, margins and many other things.

Calibre's Convert - Look&Feel - Base font size and Font size key will let you experiment until you get a font-size which looks good on your PRS-350. You may need to check the Calibre User manual to understand the latter.

Finally, Calibre's Convert - Look&Feel - ExtraCSS lets you override the CSS inside the source EPUB during conversion. However, you may need to peek at the HTML/CSS inside the EPUB to make sure you are overriding correctly. This is useful for changing font type and often for line-height, margins.

As for whether you bought the wrong reader...It is certainly true that some readers can give you better control of font face & size, margins, line spacing whilst you are reading. My PocketBook 360, for example, is one such device. However it achieves this by ignoring almost all the CSS styling in the EPUB. Some people love this, but I find it unacceptable. Your PRS350 should honour CSS styling as it is written.

This forum is very helpful to new users. But, if you want specific help with a particular EPUB it is difficult without being able to see the EPUB in question.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
drftr
drftr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jackie... I taught myself some CSS, downloaded Sigil, experimented a bit (a bit much to be honest) with formatting (actually de-formatting), corrected a couple of bullshit formatted e-Books, uploaded them in Calibre, made a couple of conversion scripts and the results are fabulous! Never imagined this could happen. From now on there's no need for me anymore to find an e-Reader on which I can set fonts, margins and all the other stuff.

"My" trick: Get rid of all the lousy formatting in e-Book files with Sigil and create your own formatting scripts in Calibre. Want to change the way the e-Books look? Convert them in another way.

Thanks again!
drftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Brilliant.

My learning curve was much l-o-n-g-e-r. Hope you enjoy your PRS350 (I'm rather envious, actually).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion, prs-350