Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Twain, Mark: The Prince and the Pauper. (Illustrated) v4 15 May 2011

Mark Twain (real name Samuel Langhorne Clemens) (1835-1910) is probably one of the most known American writers. He was immensely popular in his time, especially noted for his wit and humour, and he is still widely quoted nowadays.

"The Prince and the Pauper" was first published in 1881 in Canada before its 1882 publication in the United States. In the last days of Henry VIII, the heir to the throne (future Edward VI) meets a poor boy who resembles him strikingly. As an entertainment they switch clothes... and then confusion arises. The pauper is taken as Prince, and the Prince is taken as pauper. Most of the book tells the "adventures" of the Prince among commong people, who treat him as the lowest member of society. Apart from the story, the book tries to depict ambience, customs, laws, etc. of 16th century England.

There are almost 200 illustrations by Frank T. Merrill, John J. Harley and L. S. Ipsen, which makes the file(s) huge for what's usual here.

The source of the text is PG, but the illustrations are re-extracted from the scans available at the Internet Archive, and they are cleaned up and enhanced; if I may say it myself, I think they look much better now. The text is proofread and corrected in some places, there is a TOC, a list of illustrations, hyperlinked notes, etc.

I upload two versions. the one named *_SmIm.mobi has smaller (in filesize) images, to comply with mobipocket limitations/specifications. The "large images" (and better quality) version works fine in the Cybook and in the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, though.

All feedback is welcome.

PS. There was already a version of this book uploaded by Madam Broshkina (but it's not fully illustrated), that's why I start with v2.

EDIT (v3): Two minor corrections in the List of Illustrations.

EDIT (V4): Improved some anchor placements.

(previous download count: 339 & 253)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Prince and the Pauper.mobi (13.05 MB, 636 views)
File Type: mobi The Prince and the Pauper_SmIm.mobi (9.91 MB, 919 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 05-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Jellby

Have you uploaded the big picture file yet?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Have you uploaded the big picture file yet?
Now I have

Here at work I have a much better network.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jellby, I tried the big picture one on my original Cybook Gen 3 Firmware 538. It hung up the reader. FYI.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Jellby, I tried the big picture one on my original Cybook Gen 3 Firmware 538. It hung up the reader. FYI.
Ah... it may cause problems with the original firmware, I think one of the bug-fixes was related to the use of large images... I have read it without problems with the latest firmware.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Ah... it may cause problems with the original firmware, I think one of the bug-fixes was related to the use of large images... I have read it without problems with the latest firmware.
I guess the gives me a reason to upgrade (and take the battery los problem...)
Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
I guess the gives me a reason to upgrade (and take the battery los problem...)
Well... maybe the quality-loss in the "small images" version is not quite noticeable in the Cybook. If you don't see JPG artifacts, it's probably OK.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

While preparing the ePUB version, I made two minor corrections in the List of Illustrations. Uploaded v3.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Moved some anchors (for footnote backlinks) to match the ePUB version. Uplodaded v4.

Tags
humor, youth