Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #16
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I uploaded a few books to see if the whispersync for them is worth the effort. While I can see me using this for a few especially those that I will have bookmarks in, but I am not seeing any benefits that will make me want to stop using Calibre to sideload my books.

Another question: what is this embedded fonts I keep seeing folks talking about??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Special fonts that stupid publishers leave in because what every ebook really needs is to have Garamond enforced because that is what AWP defaults to or something, and they are too lazy to put effort into their product. At the cost of an additional MB per book.

Alternatively, a way for ebook geeks to efficiently embed fleurons via empty unicode characters.

Alternatively, a way to show a very few characters with some sort of special effect-like font. Hopefully they subset the font.

Alternatively, a way for people to add their own fonts to their Kindle without resorting to the Fonts hack.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-24-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Special fonts that stupid publishers leave in because what every ebook really needs is to have Garamond enforced because that is what AWP defaults to or something, and they are too lazy to put effort into their product. At the cost of an additional MB per book.

Alternatively, a way for ebook geek to efficiently embed fleurons via empty unicode characters.

Alternatively, a way to show a very few characters with some sort of special effect-like font. Hopefully they subset the font.

Alternatively, a way for people to add their own fonts to their Kindle without resorting to the Fonts hack.
ok nothing I would really be interested in. Actually the only time I change the fonts on my device is when the text is too small in certain books.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
ok nothing I would really be interested in. Actually the only time I change the fonts on my device is when the text is too small in certain books.
Figured as much.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #20
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I uploaded a few books to see if the whispersync for them is worth the effort. While I can see me using this for a few especially those that I will have bookmarks in, but I am not seeing any benefits that will make me want to stop using Calibre to sideload my books.

Another question: what is this embedded fonts I keep seeing folks talking about??
BTW you can email books direct from Calibre to your Amazon account. Whispersync will then automatically maintain the 'furthest page read' in your book so you can read the same book across various devices eg a Kindle or two, a phone and a tablet and progressively retain your reading place (your 'furthest page read') on each device.

With Calibre you can also imbed your favorite font into any e-book.

Not sure if you understood this...
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
I feel the same way but I was wondering if I was missing something by not using the send to kindle app. I guess the biggest dealbreaker for me is Amazon putting them in as personal docs instead of books. I prefer having all my books as books on all my devices. Since I read on both my fire and pw, I do not want to be jumping back and forth between the docs and books section on the Fire.A small thing I know but with dropbox I don't have to worry about that.
Reasons to email to Kindle (or "send to kindle"):

1) backup copy in Cloud in case Calibre database and backup go screwy
2) I want to read it on my kindle NOW and I'm on wifi but not at the same location as my Calibre computer (I'm lazy. Sometimes I just don't want to go upstairs and get the cord to sync to Calibre )
3) syncing across devices (only useful if you use more than one device; I do sometimes)

I don't really care so much about book covers or "seen as personal doc" because neither affect the reading experience on the device.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

3) is good.

1) So basically this is Yet Another Backup syndrome.
2) Okay but you can also do that with the Content Server which will be more up to date and have more stuff and have .azw3 and and and...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #23
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
2) Okay but you can also do that with the Content Server which will be more up to date and have more stuff and have .azw3 and and and...
Not if the book isn't in Calibre yet. Which is usually the case.

Me not at my own computer (could be work computer or a family member's) : *oooh new book in series x is out and has discount/can be purchased pre-release (e-ARCs anyone?) on independent site WANTWANTWANT*

Purchase from independent site. Download. Email (or "send") to kindle. Sync kindle to wifi. Read without moving butt from seat from beginning to end of process. Because I'm lazy like that.

Also it will remind me that I own the book and need to put in in Calibre because I periodically manually sync my kindle and Calibre library.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #24
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I also find it more convenient to use Send to Kindle than to connect the Kindle to the computer for sending from Calibre.

Additionally, I also manage my mother's ebooks - she uses the Kindle app on my old 1st generation iPad and it's considerably easier for me to send her books to her iPad Kindle app with Send to Kindle than getting the books to her in any other way.

I use an eInk Kindle, so the personal documents thing isn't an issue.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
On good reason for keeping it all local is to use the AZW3 format, which handles hyphenated words better and is required for embedded fonts.
If you properly create standard MOBI file (dual/hybrid) with kindlegen or even with calibre and if you send it to MYK cloud you can later download proper AZW3 file to your Kindle Classic, Paperwhite etc.

Note that calibre creates old Mobi6/7 file by default. You should change it to 'both' if you want to send it properly to MYK cloud.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
If you properly create standard MOBI file (dual/hybrid) with kindlegen or even with calibre and if you send it to MYK cloud you can later download proper AZW3 file to your Kindle Classic, Paperwhite etc.

Note that calibre creates old Mobi6/7 file by default. You should change it to 'both' if you want to send it properly to MYK cloud.
So I've heard. And then you get interesting cover problems.

Bottom line is there will always be something you pay in return for whispersync, and I am currently doing fine with a custom rsync solution.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-29-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
So I've heard. And then you get interesting cover problems.
Yes, it is true. Precisely, you're mean cover thumbnail problem in Cover View mode on Kindle Paperwhite or Touch.
As workaround I use my own app ExtractCoverThumbs to automatically extract from existing books on Kindle and sideload it back via USB missing cover thumbnails for books downloaded from MYK cloud: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=15

Last edited by quiris; 04-29-2014 at 04:25 PM.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #28
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Reasons to email to Kindle (or "send to kindle"):

1) backup copy in Cloud in case Calibre database and backup go screwy
2) I want to read it on my kindle NOW and I'm on wifi but not at the same location as my Calibre computer (I'm lazy. Sometimes I just don't want to go upstairs and get the cord to sync to Calibre )
3) syncing across devices (only useful if you use more than one device; I do sometimes)

I don't really care so much about book covers or "seen as personal doc" because neither affect the reading experience on the device.
1. I have backups on two external drive as well as available on my dropbox.
2. Dropbox covers this also.
3. This would be the only reason I would find as a benefit, but the fact it shows in documents instead of books makes it lose the benefit of it.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
Joykins
Wizard

Yeah, I gather it's slightly different on the Fires. I have to say, though, it's really useful when travelling and you don't have easy access to Dropbox. I can download a book on my mom's or brother's computer and email it to my kindle where I am, since I don't usually travel with a laptop and don't have enough Dropbox space for all my books so I don't backup my books there. (Also, for obvious reasons, I haven't installed Dropbox on my work computer.)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can always upload through the browser.

Or sideload through the file browser assuming you have computer to download the file to begin with plus your charging cable.

Personally my master copy of the library is on my flashdrive which travels with me in my pocket using Calibre Portable. It gets backed up regularly via one-way sync and from there to dropbox.