Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #2086
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I too want season 2 TV series and more.

have seen all but #12 episode for season 1.

Liked very much.

Keep Murphy - detective and Bob - spirit.
I like Bob, but I wouldn't mind a new Murphy.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #2087
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Regarding TV Murphy, I'll go ahead and put out there that a factor in the rejection of the character and the series as a whole is that Murphy was no longer a white girl. I don't think it was as big a factor as in the backlash against the casting of certain characters in the Hunger Games movie, but when you take a character as sexualized as Murphy is (and however she's grown, she started as little more than a diminutive, blonde, gun-toting mama) and race-shift her, some people who were either identifying with or objectifying that character are going to have trouble processing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #2088
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Regarding TV Murphy, I'll go ahead and put out there that a factor in the rejection of the character and the series as a whole is that Murphy was no longer a white girl. I don't think it was as big a factor as in the backlash against the casting of certain characters in the Hunger Games movie, but when you take a character as sexualized as Murphy is (and however she's grown, she started as little more than a diminutive, blonde, gun-toting mama) and race-shift her, some people who were either identifying with or objectifying that character are going to have trouble processing.
Heh. I never noticed Murphy's race. Of course, I hadn't read the books at that time so I wouldn't have known she was supposed to be white, anyway.

I, personally, just didn't "like" her; then again, I didn't like her in the early books either.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #2089
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
LOL...nevermind!

(and thanks!)

Last edited by copyrite; 06-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #2090
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool huh...

...er...copyrite...where did you think you were posting the previous post? You posted it in The Dresden Files thread!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #2091
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Well I finished Cold days and now the wait for the next book. *sigh*
I enjoyed the the read through all the books. The mood of the series certainly changed a lot in the last few books!

Anyway, currently reading the "Iron druid" series, which is a good read too.
At first it seemed eerily too similar to the "Dresden files" but actually after finishing book 1, I feel comfortable in that it's different enough not to be a rip off of the Dresden files.

I guess an "Urban fantasy" book is often going to feel similar to other "Urban fantasy" books.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #2092
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Urban fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Well I finished Cold days and now the wait for the next book. *sigh*
I enjoyed the the read through all the books. The mood of the series certainly changed a lot in the last few books!

Anyway, currently reading the "Iron druid" series, which is a good read too.
At first it seemed eerily too similar to the "Dresden files" but actually after finishing book 1, I feel comfortable in that it's different enough not to be a rip off of the Dresden files.

I guess an "Urban fantasy" book is often going to feel similar to other "Urban fantasy" books.
After some folks participating here in this thread expressed enthusiasm for the "Iron druid" series I obtained a copy of Hounded and attempted to read it. I absolutely hated Atticus and soon gave up on reading it. I sure didn't find it similar to The Dresden Files!

To each his own, I guess. Here's what I said back then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Several of you interested me in the Iron Druid series whan it's newest book's release coincided with Cold Days' release date. So I picked up the first one, Hounded, ,and put it on my TBR list. I've just begun it and right now I'm ready to start chapter 5 and instead, I'm considering abandoning it.

I don't like Atticus at all. But I do love the locale. However I don't think an unlikeable protagonist and a familiar and appreciated locale is enough to keep my intrest (keep? I'm not yet interested!).

What m I missing, if anything?

Last edited by alansplace; 06-18-2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #2093
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
After some folks participating here in this thread expressed enthusiasm for the "Iron druid" series I obtained a copy of Hounded and attempted to read it. I absolutely hated Atticus and soon gave up on reading it. I sure didn't find it similar to The Dresden Files!

To each his own, I guess. Here's what I said back then:
What was it you hated about Atticus?

The writing style is quite different than the Dresden files I guess, it's not really as good, but I found it to be an enjoyable read nevertheless.

I thought the Atticus character was interesting, sort of moral , but less morally conflicted, he doesn't seem to have that much of a problem killing stuff if it threatens him, whereas Harry Dresden would hesitate more.
In a way it was nice to see a character just get on with the job instead of hesitating so much.

AS to similarities, Well the world is kinda similar, faeries, werewolves, the general Fae set up and Atticus is a guardian of his "Patch" much like Harry Dresden.
Whilst Atticus isn't an investigator, he pretty much fulfills the same role.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed the first book, I thought the DF 1 st book Stormfront was a bit primitive, but the series improved dramatically as it went on. Perhaps it'll be something like that with the Iron Druid series.

Still I guess it's not you your tastes, so like you say, each to his own.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #2094
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Atticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
What was it you hated about Atticus?

The writing style is quite different than the Dresden files I guess, it's not really as good, but I found it to be an enjoyable read nevertheless.

I thought the Atticus character was interesting, sort of moral , but less morally conflicted, he doesn't seem to have that much of a problem killing stuff if it threatens him, whereas Harry Dresden would hesitate more.
In a way it was nice to see a character just get on with the job instead of hesitating so much.

AS to similarities, Well the world is kinda similar, faeries, werewolves, the general Fae set up and Atticus is a guardian of his "Patch" much like Harry Dresden.
Whilst Atticus isn't an investigator, he pretty much fulfills the same role.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed the first book, I thought the DF 1 st book Stormfront was a bit primitive, but the series improved dramatically as it went on. Perhaps it'll be something like that with the Iron Druid series.

Still I guess it's not you your tastes, so like you say, each to his own.
I find it difficult to recall accurately my exact feeling at the time, so here's another part of that conversation from January:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Not sure if you're missing anything, but I do remember that I found Atticus a bit Mary Sue-ish at first. It certainly took some time for me to really get into the book, though I don't think I ever wanted to quit. And I really started to like Atticus along the way, especially in combination with Oberon.
Mary Sue-ish? Er....I hate to have to ask, but what does that mean? I like Harry Dresden, Rachel Morgan, Mercy Thompson and others in the genre because they care about people. But this guy Atticus says:

Quote:
“Aye, but they are unlikely to provide you much sport.” I was not about to defend them or beg for a stay of execution; the best I could do was imply that they were not worth the trouble.
That's just not very admirable in a supposed protagonist.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #2095
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Book Review: Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Quote:
Aug 14, 2011 - Summer Knight was pretty awesome 9/10 to be exact. I didnt absolutely love it like Grave Peril because there was no team up and no reoccurring emotional connections. But they did exist and the book was well balanced with action, intrigue, mystery, and fantastical elements just like the previous ones. (except Fool Moon which I thought was a bit unbalanced) Dresden File #4 was a success in my opinion.

Don't forget to contact me:

Follow me on Twitter:
Find me on Facebook:
Ask me questions on Formspring:
E-mail me at:
izhappyluv@yahoo.com

Last edited by alansplace; 06-18-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #2096
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quick, someone! How many days??? Huh? Huh? How many days???

(The last time I tried to figure it out, I had a math fail, so I will rely on the sharper skills of others.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #2097
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool How many days???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

(The last time I tried to figure it out, I had a math fail, so I will rely on the sharper skills of others.)
167 DAYS!

[with my apologies to Pookeysgirl]

Last edited by alansplace; 06-19-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: oops...
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #2098
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

Quote:
167 DAYS!

TO MANY!!!
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2099
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Thanks!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #2100
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
While you're waiting for Skin Game, we need more Urban Fantasy fans to vote for their favourite reads!
MobileRead Recommended Fantasy
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy