Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What books would be interesting and useful to study for an entire semester?

I received an alumni newsletter from my alma mater the other day which detailed some changes to the English program. When I was there back on 1996-2000, the program was set up with about a dozen categories organized around various time periods, and you had to take prescribed amounts from each grouping (for instance, there was a grouping which included Beowulf, Shakespeare and the Restoration and you had to take two of the three).

The new program simplifies things a little by making pretty much everything in the first two years compulsory (year 1 emphasizes theory and how to study literature, year 2 is the general survey course and then in year 3 you can go deeper into time periods that interested you in year 2. One of the compulsory upper-year seminar courses is a novel study whereby you work on a single text for the entire semester in great detail.

This is an intriguing idea to me and I am wondering what novels they might pick. I recognize each professor will have their own area of expertise and preferred teaching materials (I once took an upper-year seminar with the generic title 'Post-Colonial Literature' which, due to the professor's provenance, consisted exclusively of works from South Africa). But I am assuming the department will vet the choices for this seminar given that the students will be saddled with the chosen books for an entire term and given that I imagine the goals must be broad enough that a student who takes it with one professor over another will still come out of it with a similar enough experience.

So, what books do you think they might choose for such a course? The newsletter offered no examples or particulars other than the concept itself, of a novel study course where you spend an entire semester reading just the one book, in great detail.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
... But I am assuming the department will vet the choices for this seminar given that the students will be saddled with the chosen books for an entire term and given that I imagine the goals must be broad enough that a student who takes it with one professor over another will still come out of it with a similar enough experience.

So, what books do you think they might choose for such a course? The newsletter offered no examples or particulars other than the concept itself, of a novel study course where you spend an entire semester reading just the one book, in great detail.
Any time period or genre restrictions?

For the modern era, I might think LORD OF THE RINGS might be suitable given Tolkien's background and intent in writing the novel.

And, of course, for "traditionalists", there's always FINNEGAN'sWAKE.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any time period or genre restrictions?

For the modern era, I might think LORD OF THE RINGS might be suitable given Tolkien's background and intent in writing the novel.

And, of course, for "traditionalists", there's always FINNEGAN'sWAKE.
Tolkein can not be covered thoroughly, IMO unless you also cover the first World War. And modern catholicism to some extent.

Tolkein's experiences on the battlefield very much shaped some of his writing, just as with C.S. Lewis.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
For those conservatively canon, Ulysses (James Joyce), Finnegan's Wake (still James Joyce), and Lolita (Vladmir Nabokov) are good choices.

For those looking for something more unconventional, I recommend:

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
City of Saints and Mad Men by Jeff VanderMeer
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My alma mater (UNC) teaches full semester classes on Ulysses (in the English department) and Lord of the Rings (in the Folklore and Mythology department). We also spent an entire semester on Paradise Lost (in the English department).
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to "Reading Recommendation", because that's exactly what's being asked for here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My alma mater (UNC) teaches full semester classes on Ulysses (in the English department) and Lord of the Rings (in the Folklore and Mythology department). We also spent an entire semester on Paradise Lost (in the English department).
Ulysses +1 (in all honesty, I've never read it. I am intrigued by it's parallel with the Odyssey though.)

also;
The Bible - as a foundation for most English literature, not as a religious text.
Clarissa - Samuel Richardson
Great Expectations - Dickens (both endings)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

This is an intriguing idea to me and I am wondering what novels they might pick. I recognize each professor will have their own area of expertise and preferred teaching materials (I once took an upper-year seminar with the generic title 'Post-Colonial Literature' which, due to the professor's provenance, consisted exclusively of works from South Africa). But I am assuming the department will vet the choices for this seminar given that the students will be saddled with the chosen books for an entire term and given that I imagine the goals must be broad enough that a student who takes it with one professor over another will still come out of it with a similar enough experience.
Bit premature; probably best to wait until the American Empire collapses.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
Bit premature; probably best to wait until the American Empire collapses.
I would hazard a guess that the previous poster was referring to European colonialism.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Is it confined to novels ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I would go back to school if there was a class on HHGTTG.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Almost any of Dickens's novels would probably fit the bill.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I would nominate À la recherche du temps perdu, or In Search of Lost Time, by Marcel Proust. Plenty to read and discuss over the course of a semester. In fact a semester may not be long enough.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
well my girl friend is taking a literature class ,,they are studing ,,Of mice and men ,,Grapes of Wrath and Tobacco Road....when I heard this I told her to ask her teacher if he thinks that in the last 100 years,,withe the millions of new books published,if he didnt think there was something a bit newer or better they could study
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by way8lifter View Post
well my girl friend is taking a literature class ,,they are studing ,,Of mice and men ,,Grapes of Wrath and Tobacco Road....when I heard this I told her to ask her teacher if he thinks that in the last 100 years,,withe the millions of new books published,if he didnt think there was something a bit newer or better they could study
Do you honestly think that John Steinbeck is not an author whose work is worth studying?