Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #301
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Of course, why would somebody pay for something they could easily get for free. And so music is being copied without permission of the copyright holders and rips the music industry of a lot of revenue. So you prove exactly my point: There has to be some kind of protection against (widespread) copyright infringements.
You totally missed the point. The point was that the music industri is moving towards DRM free music because they make more money that way.

You want to pay because you want to support the people that have produced something you like so they will produce more things.

Quote:
We might not like DRM (I do not). It might have some serious flaws in it (especially if the publisher is not available anymore and we got a new ereader). But I cannot see any alternative.
That is really not an argument. There have been a lot of alternative mentioned here that probably would work.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #302
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would you trust a textbook that hadn't been peer reviewed? I wouldn't!
Well, if I trusted the author maybe. But if I do not know about the author or about the people doing the peer review i would not trust it after the peer review. I would start to trust it when the book is beeing used and accepted by the community and there is more feedback. At the university where I work the people choosing textbooks are reading them and checking them themselves before choosing them for a course. I do not think they really trust only a limited peer review.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #303
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Would you trust a textbook that hadn't been peer reviewed? I wouldn't!
Not a text book example (excuse the pun ) - but Wikipedia seems to stack up quite well when compared with traditional encyclopedias.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #304
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You totally missed the point. The point was that the music industri is moving towards DRM free music because they make more money that way.
They finally saying good bye to DRM because DRM implementation in music files is a pain in the neck. Ever tried to play DRM protected music on your favorite MP3 player? Only recently there are some available that can play such files. Most players cannot.

But DRM in ebooks is transparent. No license files, nothing. Just tell the online store where you buy your book the PID of your device(s). That's all. It's like giving your address or your credit card number. That is all DRM most customers will ever see.

And it is exactly the same with iTunes and the iPod. iTunes' files are DRM protected. But the customer will not be bothered with it in any way. That is the reason iTunes sell millions of files. And they are expensive compared to alternatives like on mp3sparks.com and the like, not to mention Emule and Co.

Quote:
That is really not an argument. There have been a lot of alternative mentioned here that probably would work.
Lower prices were mentioned, yes. I wrote about that argument in my last post. Also digital watermarks were mentioned. I also wrote about that. And that pretty much were all alternatives people came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not a text book example (excuse the pun ) - but Wikipedia seems to stack up quite well when compared with traditional encyclopedias.
Though it is here: Wikepedia is good for some topics. But overall it is useless when it comes to trustworthiness. Why? On Wikipedia the one prevails who is online longer than others and drives his agenda more aggressively than others. This is especially true for political topics. Truth is not democratic. And on Wikipedia not even everybody has the same voting power (others are online longer than you are, can edit more articles, don't have to earn money for themselves like you do, and so on). When truth is determined democratically, it is for sure a big fat lie.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #305
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I see you've not been bitten by DRM yet.

Try reading that DRMed eBook on a reader that Mobipocket doesn't support (which is most eBook reading devices) and see how easy and hassle-free it is.
not true, mobipocket files can be read on a wide variety of devices.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #306
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
O
You know the iPod? You know iTunes? They sell music legally and are making big bucks.
on.

The same with DRM. Of course you can circumvent it in many ways. But most people does not even bother to try. And the majority counts. That's the point.
We might not like DRM (I do not). It might have some serious flaws in it (especially if the publisher is not available anymore and we got a new ereader). But I cannot see any alternative.
Alan

Actually iTunes does not make loads of money for Apple considering that they make pennies per song sold since the vast majority of revenue goes to the artists/records; iPods make the real money and once drm music is gone for good, I will not be surprised if iTunes gets a major facelift like becoming a studio itself; after all if customers can go to Wal Mart and buy muisc to play on the iPod, why should Apple keep humoring the studios.

Regarding the majority and e-books, well right now the majority of people do not buy e-books and I do not see this changing soon; and there are alternatives, something called the print book that has been doing well for a long time; to convince people to try e-books you gotta offer big advantages not big disadvantages like drm

I like e-books but not at the cost of giving up the ability to read anywhere and anytime. let us have this discussion about the inevitability of drm when drm-ed e-books will represent something like 30% of the book market; until then I see nothing inevitable about drm
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #307
deviant
Enthusiast
deviant began at the beginning.

Device: none :(
Quote:
No, it is you who are confused. The end result of using a publisher is better quality books; that is of direct benefit to the reader. I don't want to read books full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which is what we'd get "raw" from most authors.
I don't want to know what kind of author sends his work to publishers with spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. After all, if you're a writer, you should at least be able to, well, write.

Quote:
I write physics textbooks. No university in the world is going to use a textbook for a course unless they know that it's been published by a reputable publisher who's subjected the information in it to a proper peer review. How is this process going to work without publishers?
My professors usually review their books before using them for their courses, regardless of what kind of reviews it got. Need I say that most students don't care about the textbook as long as it's cheap?

Quote:

You do it, many of us here do it, too, but the majority won't. Ereaders are still some nerd gadgets. They are not widely advertised, not prominently featured in the media and are hard to find in any physical shop. They are niche products. DRM on the other hand is not an issue for most people. But it is in the music business, because there DRM protected files are much less easy to use. An exception is the iPod and iTunes. And guess what - both sell big time.
I remember trying to get my college to move from paper books to e-readers. Since buying a e-reader was so expensive, I was thinking of getting a few friends and getting a discount. We were offered a 15% discount for purchases over 50 units. The sad part? We could have ordered as many as 300 units ordered but the discount would still be only 15% which didn't make the wide adoption plan look too realistic. So it's not so much of a niche market as much as the producers basing their business plan around profit rather than wider adoption.

Quote:
Wikipedia the one prevails who is online longer than others and drives his agenda more aggressively than others. This is especially true for political topics. Truth is not democratic. And on Wikipedia not even everybody has the same voting power (others are online longer than you are, can edit more articles, don't have to earn money for themselves like you do, and so on). When truth is determined democratically, it is for sure a big fat lie.
I take all history I read, regardless of the source, with a solid grain of salt. It wouldn't be the first time somebody used history for their own purposes.
deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #308
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
That is correct. And that is also the reason why DRM is only easy and secure (for the customer) if bought at big companies like Amazon (Mobipocket).
Ask the people foolish enough to believe that when they paid money for DRMed PDFs and videos - that Amazon no longer supports.

Quote:
I do not like DRM either. But so far I do not see an alternative for authors and publishers. Unprotected ebooks can be copied indefinitely. Paper books cannot. There has to be some kind of protection against unauthorized use of books. Do you have a better idea?
Ya, no DRM. Stop treating the customers like thieves. Offer eBooks for a reasonable price.

The "I don't see an alternative" excuse was old a long time ago. Here's the alternatives for authors:
1. Refuse to support eBooks - and stop making money because after a while everyone will only download the pirated versions.
2. Only offer eBooks with DRM - and stop making money because after a while everyone will only download the pirated versions.
3. Offer eBooks without DRM - and have at least a chance to make money.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #309
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
The filter is also a feedback mechanism to the author and I do not see how customer reviews could do that.
Authors will need to get closer to their readers. Cases in point: John Scalzi, Scott Siegler. Both have web sites, blogs and accept feedback from their readers.

Quote:
Why do you think publishers have a poor record? I think you are totally wrong and that they have a good record. A couple of exceptions is not proof of a poor record.
The fact that all the "best sellers" that I have seen have been awful books.
The fact that they miss authors like Scott Siegler, who got his book in the top 10 lists of Amazon before the big publishers took him seriously.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #310
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
No, it is you who are confused. The end result of using a publisher is better quality books; that is of direct benefit to the reader. I don't want to read books full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which is what we'd get "raw" from most authors.
Sounds like the authors aren't doing their job. If they want to pay someone to edit their work, that's up to them. But that's not a justification for me to pay more.

Quote:
I write physics textbooks. No university in the world is going to use a textbook for a course unless they know that it's been published by a reputable publisher who's subjected the information in it to a proper peer review. How is this process going to work without publishers?
Don't care. You keep speaking of how things work today. I couldn't care less of what the status quo is.

I am speaking of what things will be tomorrow.

A side note: When I was in college, one of my classes used a textbook that was "in process" (i.e. the instructor was writing it). The class actually helped the instructor write the book.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #311
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
not true, mobipocket files can be read on a wide variety of devices.
Where's the Mobipocket reader for Linux?
Where's the Mobipocket reader for my Nokia N800?
Where's the Mobipocket reader for my OLPC XO?
(I'm talking about the Mobipocket reader that's supported by Mobipocket and handles DRMed eBooks - not fbreader.)

A "wide variety of devices" is not "all devices."
Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #312
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The fact that all the "best sellers" that I have seen have been awful books.
The fact that they miss authors like Scott Siegler, who got his book in the top 10 lists of Amazon before the big publishers took him seriously.
But a bestseller is a very good book for a publisher since it generates money that can be used to take risks with other books. And any method will miss some authors but so what? That does not mean that all or any other method is better.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #313
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sounds like the authors aren't doing their job. If they want to pay someone to edit their work, that's up to them. But that's not a justification for me to pay more.
They are "paying" the editors at the publisher to edit the book so what is the problem?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #314
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant View Post
I don't want to know what kind of author sends his work to publishers with spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. After all, if you're a writer, you should at least be able to, well, write.
I think some very good and well know author are word blind for example. From my point of view the most important thing is if the author can tell a story. Spelling and gramatical errors can be fixed by other people.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #315
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
But a bestseller is a very good book for a publisher since it generates money that can be used to take risks with other books. And any method will miss some authors but so what? That does not mean that all or any other method is better.
Exactly.

What's good for the publisher is not necessarily good reading.